General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifetime Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 09:25 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Lifetime Oil Filter

BikeWorks magazine Just tested this filter. Not only dose it cool the oil, but the oil flow is so superior that when the same HD was put on the dyno first with a HD filter then with this filter....The engine gained 4to5 HP With this filter on. 200 bucks for a 5HP gain plus a oil cooler aint all that bad.

Old 01-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would be good to have two of them. One to keep in a cleaning solution or ultra-sonic cleaner, the other on the bike. That way you can have a quicker oil change.

Aircraft jet engines have metal filters similar, they do a great job of filtering.

All are a bit expensive. But, you get what you pay for, and when you want the best you pay the most. At least you'll be satisfied!

Old 01-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WHY would you want to clean out an oil filter?

Old 01-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer

I rode for twenty years before we even had oil filters on bikes........a screen used to be good enough

Old 01-26-2007, 10:25 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Would you risk the warranty for $600.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:27 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Dick Johnson

WHY would you want to clean out an oil filter?
It is a good indication as to engine health to see what kind of 'stuff' is getting trapped in the filter element.

These are very good products to have, but not for everyone. If you want to know why old iron had just a screen, its because the engine tollerances were not very tight and anything could almost pass through the engine with harming it.

Modern 90's on... engines have such tight tollerances the better filter you have the better the oil is kept clean. Oil is the life blood of your modern engine, it cleans the engine, it cools, and lube's the friction surfaces.

All in all, the better you take care of your oil, the better your taking care of your engine.

Sure you can do just about as well, with paper filters, and the Amsoil filters with the nano technology sound almost as good as these cleanable ones.

Its all up to each individual.

I'm looking at them, not going out and buying anything right now, just looking mind you.

But, I do like what I see.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 1FLTRI4ME

Would you risk the warranty for $600.
I have only the stock warranty. After that its all on me anyway.

And if you did change out to one of these units you have the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, 15 U.S.C. SS 2301-1312 (1982), and general principles of the Federal Trade Commission Act, a manufacturer may not require the use of any brand of product (or any other article) unless the manufacturer provides the item free of charge under the terms of the warranty."

(That ditty about the Mangnuson-Moss and FTC act I've quoted directly from Pure Power)

Old 01-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Dick Johnson
Tourer

Don't get me wrong......oil filters are a great thing,but I cant justify $200 for a filter when you toss away a $10 filter. Maybe there is a horsepower gain, but if you believe every vendors claim of increased horsepower.....we would all be driving around on 250 HP machines.
Dick

Old 01-26-2007, 10:36 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I forgot about that.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:40 PM
HD7585
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The HP gain was provided by a independent test by Bike Works maginzine.......They used their Dyno for the test....The vender wasn't involved
ORIGINAL: Dick Johnson

Don't get me wrong......oil filters are a great thing,but I cant justify $200 for a filter when you toss away a $10 filter. Maybe there is a horsepower gain, but if you believe every vendors claim of increased horsepower.....we would all be driving around on 250 HP machines.
Dick

Quick Reply: Lifetime Oil Filter