General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifetime Oil Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 11:57 AM
Dogwood
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lifetime Oil Filter

It does not appear to "marketed" on it's cost, rather it's superior performance over paper element filters in both flow and filtration.
I can't say that it does, but that's their claim.
Also incorporating a magnet directly in the filter is nice.
Is it necessary?
Maybe not, but every little bit of metal filings you can remove is a good thing.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:23 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Filters like this are used in road racing. They have a much higher flow rate through the operating range. After 3 hours at 7,000 rpm's, a paper filter will clog, and the oil goes through the bypass valve. Standard elements also tend to have a pressure drop at high flow rates. When you're running a 5 gallon dry sump system, you need a really good filter.

I've never seen one on a drag car, or a hot street car. It's just eye candy. On a Harley? Can't imagine there would be any improvement. I use a purolater Pro-1 on my track car.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:26 PM
69z28
Road Warrior

Don't think I'd be interested in it.

Old 01-26-2007, 12:52 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,445 Likes on 4,359 Posts

No way! The economics are awful. And the possible effect on warranty???

Old 01-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Bigredone
Road Master

$199 will buy a lot of cold beer!!

Old 01-26-2007, 01:14 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm looking at the technology - stainless filter elements and magnets? OK, that's fine for steel pieces lets say - they get caught in the stainless and then are sucked in by the magnets. Lets say this works. What about dirt particles? In a paper filter, these are caught up in the paper. What happens with the steel - it stays suspended and keeps flopping around in the filter and just gets broken up into smaller dirt that goes back into the motor? Doesn't seem to make sense.

Old 01-26-2007, 01:28 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

No one disagrees that better filtration is....well, better. However, my concern with the life-time filter would be cleaning it. Who wants to clean a filter and how will you be sure its clean. I want a filter that I know is doing a stellar job and I want it to do it for a long time.

AMSOIL has the filter thing going on in my opinion. Thier new EA filters are 100% synthetic Nano-Fiber media not paper or cellulose. This Nano-Fiber technology give the media more uniform and more pores per square inch, giving the filter better flow and efficiency of 98.7% at 15 microns. The filter is not depth loading like paper or cellulose, so it has a greater capacity to hold dirt and contaminants while continuing to filter at peak efficiency for longer periods of time compared to paper or cellulose allowing extended drain intervals. The Nano-Fiber media is backed by a steel mesh screen to ensure the media does not come apart or collapse like paper or cellulose can. I think AMSOIL has covered all the bases on filtration.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 01-26-2007, 01:32 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

If they make it,theres always someone that will buy it[8D]

Old 01-26-2007, 01:40 PM
hambone
Elite HDF Member

I have been useing this one from K&P Engineering http://www.kandpengineering.com/ and can tell you it is the easiest thing to clean and I've had my local HD mech inspect the oil from the bike after 2 changes so far and he has been extreemly impressed with how clean is is comming out. I will say that I did a very good scavenge of the oil system prior to putting the filter on the bike so I had very little remaining oil in the system.

Another added feature I've noticed is while riding in the hot summer here in the south, my average oil temps while riding were 5 to 10 degrees lower that what I was running with the chrome harley filters before.

Cleans easy with regular Dawn dishwashing soap and warm water.

Rick

Old 01-26-2007, 02:49 PM
hughtwg
Tourer

I used a metal oil filter on my trip to South America becuase I didn't want to have to carry a bunch of spare filters with me or worry about trying to find one. Cleaning the reusable filter is a lot more work and messier than just replacing a normal filter so I switched back to standard filter when I got home.

-Hugh

Quick Reply: Lifetime Oil Filter