General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Face shield suggestions for 3/4 helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:04 AM
condition1
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Face shield suggestions for 3/4 helmet

Just order a Licks NovDot and would like to get a face shield to use with it since the weather is getting cooler.

Basically I've found the bubble style, flip ups, and a flat "retro" shield made by Bell.

I'm not sure how a feel about the bubble look. So many companies make the flip ups it's hard to tell which ones are quality and which aren't. I really like the look of the Bell "retro" shield but I see in a lot negative reviews, mostly stating that it comes loose at speed and will fly off.

So I figured I'd see what everyone is using here and how they like it.

How do the bubbles look on the helmet? If you're using one of the flip ups what brand is it and how do you like it? Anyone ever tried the retro Bell, have any issues with it?

Your suggestions/opinions are appreciated.

Last edited by condition1; 09-27-2012 at 01:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 AM
CB1
Tourer

I have a clear and tinted flip up shield. Works okay at lower speeds, but not a highway speeds for me, get vibrations depending on the winds. Mine also have some distortions in them up at the top. I don't look through it, but I can see it if I look up just a little. Not sure what brand they are, I bought them at a indy shop. Think they were around $20 each. The obvious benefit is they flip up so you can lift them to talk to someone or need a little air. Think I am going to get a bubble shield and give it a try though.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:16 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally the bubble shields remind me of astronaut helmets, something a kid would like to wear. Not slamming anyone who uses them! Just my thoughts.

I use a HD helmet, stock # 98212-10VM and really like it. The visor is retractable and slightly tinted--enough to keep the sun from blinding you but still able to see at night. No distortion causing spots, solid in the wind and at speeds. I would recommend it.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:08 PM
alcotune
Tourer

I have the bell retro sheild on my Bell Custom 500. It may look a bit weird but I love it. It seems to alleviate the head wind when highway riding, the light tint is good during the day and night and it saves on bugs in my teeth.
The only problem I have is when I'm riding with others and want to talk I can't lift up the shield.

Attached Thumbnails Face shield suggestions for 3/4 helmet-15-05-2012-001.jpg   Face shield suggestions for 3/4 helmet-15-05-2012-003.jpg  
Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 PM
nolabel
Cruiser

I have an Arai 3/4 with the face shield attached (flips up obviously).

Totally fine at all speeds. It's kind of moulded to deflect wind. I love it the moment it gets hold or when I am on longer trips (no fairing on the bike, so the helmet helps reduce fatigue).

Probably doesn't help at all. Just adding info

Old 09-27-2012, 09:06 PM
StreetGeezer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got the Bell retro on a Bell 500 also and there's no way it's gonna pop off at speed. It's hard to snap on and I have to use a screwdriver to pop it off. Tried to pop it off without one once and cracked the shield a little at the top. Doesn't cover the full face so my chin/beard tend to get wet when riding in the rain. Yeah, it's noisy and some air comes in but you can't expect perfection from a snap on shield without any kind of weather seal.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:12 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I recently got a cheap $11.99 flip up shield from Jafrum and was amazed at how well it works. I've only used it 3 times so far, but it keeps the wind out, covers my whole face and the flip up feature is nice to have. I was skeptical about the quality due to the low price, but so far am really impressed.

http://www.jafrum.com/Accessories/He...es-DOT-Helmets

Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 PM
RDY2ROLL
Cruiser
Old 09-28-2012, 03:29 PM
condition1
Advanced

Thanks guys. Definitely going to pick up one of the retro Bells since some of you have had good luck with them. Hell for $11 I'm going to try out one of those jafrum ones as well.

As a side note, my NovDot came yesterday and it's pretty damn awesome for a dot 3/4.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior

Look at SEER faceshields.

Quick Reply: Face shield suggestions for 3/4 helmet