General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Face shield suggestions for 3/4 helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 04:35 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

If you are still open to suggestions, I really like my Fulmer 3/4 with it's flip up shield. It's clear, rock solid at any speed and really doesn't give me much if any vibration.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:39 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,318 Likes on 1,445 Posts

This is what we used in the old days before full face helmets. I've run them up to 130 MPH with no problems.
Amazon Amazon

Old 09-30-2012, 08:47 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I"ve always used a 3/4 helmut and I tried a bubble and a straight across snap shield and didn't like either one. They are noisy and you get a lot of distortions. To cut down on the noise and vibration, I ran a strip of 1/4" weather seal in between the snaps on the helmut, then snapped the shield on. The weather seal is a strip of light foam with a sticky backing available at home Depot, supposed to be use for windows and doors. It cut down on the noise quite a bit, but I still ended up taking the shield off and going with sun glasses.

Mike

Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 AM
T-Rod45
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't always wear a helmet, but when I do, I prefer 3/4's...

I've owned the Bell 500, Fulmer V2, and most recently the Biltwell novelty.

They're all great, but I've since gotten rid of the Bell.

The Bell 500 is super high quality with the nicest "finish" of the 3, inside and out. It is also however, the largest and heaviest. The Fulmer is lighter and sits lower, making it preferable to me. When I do wear it (typically in the cooler/cold months), I'm very happy with it. No lifting like a half helmet/skid lid, and it's much much more stable at highway speeds, unlike a full-face that "wobbles"...

The Biltwell novelty is by far the lightest and lowest riding. You can barely feel it's there if not for the cheek padding reminding you. The only downside, is that it's not DOT approved...

As far as shields go, the flip up was useless... Too much rattle. Which is a shame because the concept of being able to flip it up to talk or cool down would be preferable. I've found that the Paulson bubble shield works best, staying in place rock solid and providing superior visibility over a full face helmet. Here are some pics of all 3, the Bell (orange), Fulmer (gloss black), an Biltwell (flat black).

Ride safe my friends.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:58 AM
Biggerfoot
Tourer

I have a NovDot and was also looking for a Flip Up Visor Shield.

I ordered the Bell 500 one.

It fits the helmet fine but it does not fit my long face as it hits my chin. I am guessing the NovDot's size may have something to do with it?

Is there another shield I can try that will not hit my long face? i am guessing a bubble shield will not work either. I am mainly looking for something to cover my nose, etc. in cooler weather.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:19 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Bell just redesigned the 500 to make it fit lower on the head, for those who care about that. It actually fit really low before.

The newly designed ones are available for pre order at most of the big online places. As for shields, I've been running the bubble on my Custom 500 at 80 mph with no issues. Noisy, but no more than without, and does the job.

I think they only fly off if the snap on your helmet is bad, which can be the case on cheaper helmets that don't have a screw holding the snap in like a Bell 500 does.

Nothing works as well as my Arai, for wind deflection, but the 500 with the shield does pretty good. Oh, and the new 500s have five snaps as opposed to 3 on the old ones. So they will be even more reliable. Not sure if 5 snap shields by Bell have come out for them yet.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:33 PM
Biggerfoot
Tourer

Thanks.

Here is the Bell Shield on my NovDot. It looks like a pretty standard fit.

My chin rubs up against the lower part of the shield. I am not sure trying to cut it would work or not. I already have decent glasses so this is just for cold weather and cutting to much would probably defeat the purpose of the shield!

Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 PM
GunnerB
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a bubble shield on my Biltwell 3/4 when the need arises. I haven't found a flip up that I liked.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:45 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like the bubble shields - I like having some extra room between my face and the shield. I have a couple of Bell 500 customs and I have a clear bubble shield to use when it rains.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:48 PM
Damn_Yankee
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggerfoot
I have a NovDot and was also looking for a Flip Up Visor Shield.

I ordered the Bell 500 one.

It fits the helmet fine but it does not fit my long face as it hits my chin. I am guessing the NovDot's size may have something to do with it?

Is there another shield I can try that will not hit my long face? i am guessing a bubble shield will not work either. I am mainly looking for something to cover my nose, etc. in cooler weather.
Not flip-up, but there's plenty of face clearance with a 5-snap flat shield. Like your NovDot, my Daytona only had 3 snaps, I pop-riveted the additional 2 on. I only use it in the rain and at night in the summer when the bugs come out to play, the rest of the time, being flat, it takes up almost no space in the saddle bag... It will take on a permanent curve if you leave it on the helmet all the time though. I use a ff helmet in the winter.

Quick Reply: Face shield suggestions for 3/4 helmet