General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purchase Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 123 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Purchase Advice

I received some advice from a reputable Harley painter to negotiate a price on a new Fat Boy Lo 2013 this Winter instead of April since then is when I'll have my truck paid off (and the wife agreed to the April purchase). He suggested that I negotiate the deal this Winter to get a price break, put money down, and take delivery in April.

I checked with one dealer who said he would hold a bike max 2-3 weeks. Does anybody think I might find a dealer to hold longer as suggested above?

If I can find a cooperative dealer, how much might I save in Jan or Feb versus April?

Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Hx3
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you looked for leftover 2012's? That's where the real savings can be had.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Around here December is usually a better time to negotiate.

Old 09-26-2012, 04:29 AM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Negotiate when its winter time. If you can show up on a day its snowing, nobody thinks about buying a bike when its snowing lol.
I've always bought my stuff and payed cash, my harley, my truck even my first car. I bought my truck from a dealer and walked in and layed the cash down and said "I want that" (brought less then what they were asking) when they see the cash youll get a deal. Finance with your bank first so you can walk in with cash in hand and make a deal... works everytime.
Def good to buy a leftover model year too

Old 09-26-2012, 10:10 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Try another dealer or wait until winter as suggested above when they will be more motivated to hold a bike for you.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:21 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Doubtful any dealer will hold it for more than a few weeks. Now, if you pay in full they'll probably hold it, granted, you'll be charged daily storage fees

Old 09-26-2012, 12:33 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um you want to basically buy a bike now, negotiate a price, put money down and such right? Well the dealer isn't going to do anything until they know you're approved for financing first. If you are approved then they're going to want to finish the paperwork and make the bike yours right now. No dealer in his right mind is going to take a down payment on a bike and let you walk away and "think" about it for a few months. They know better than you the difference in money they can get selling a bike in the winter as opposed to selling it in the spring.

If you don't think you can get financed until your truck is paid off then wait. If you can then buy the bike and the ride it until it snows then park it.

Good luck.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:48 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Got my first bike extremely discounted in Jan, from a dealer that sold used bikes. It's all about waiting to find just the right deal.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 09-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are a number of reasons why buying a bike in winter is a good idea when it comes to working with dealers. First, they are trying to get rid of any remaining previous year bikes. Since the Fat Boy Lo really hasn't changed all that much from 2012 to 2013, finding a 2012 would give you better bargining power. Second, winter is a slow time for bike sales since many in the country are not able to ride during this time. Finally, the dealers are running out of time to make their year end numbers around December. They are a little more motivated to get units out the door to appease the bean counters. Same with end of the month...dealers are more apt to make deals at the end of the month to get their sales numbers up for that month. Also, buying on a weekday after the last weekend of the month is going to be even more advantageous since weekdays are usually pretty slow.

I would hazard to guess that the most advantageous time for someone to buy a bike would be between December 26 and 31...depending on where the weekend falls for that year.

The worst time is the spring since everyone is wanting to get a bike in time for riding weather. Here demand is far greater and thus dealers are less motivated to make deals. This year, December 31st is on a Monday. New Years eve probably doesn't bring a lot of buyers out for bikes so this would be the day I'd look to buy a new bike if I was in the market.

As for holding your bike, call around. I know there is a dealer here in Temecula (though they try to tack on about $3,000 in "extras" to a bike so I usually don't buy from them) that has had the same 2012 FXDWG "sold" sitting on their floor since early spring. The purchaser is deployed overseas and they are holding it for him until he returns to the states. I don't know the details but it's something to call around about as each dealer will be different.

Last edited by Robotech; 09-26-2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:59 PM
lwatts
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree in winter or a rainy, snowy day. Like everyone said before they don't expect to many customers buying bikes on days like that. I also found that knowing as much about the bike you want and what others are selling it for always seems to work in your favor. If you go in knowing what your talking about they don't usually try to put the wool over your head. Try checking out this website www.powersportsdirectory.info/wordpress It focuses on consumer interest hopefully it will help

Quick Reply: Purchase Advice