General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a leather jacket for warm weather riding.

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 05:44 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Looking for a leather jacket for warm weather riding.

I live in SW Florida, so it is warm here year round and hot in the summer months. I would like to find a good leather jacket that can be worn while riding in warm weather.
Thereis a perforated leather racing jacket advertised on the Fox Creek Leather site. It looked like the perfect setup for warm weather riding. When I called to order one, they didn't haveit in my size. They are discontinuing it because of poor sales. Does anyone know of another manufacturer that has a similar perforated jacket?
Are there any riders on this forum that wear a leather jacket in warm weather that is acceptable?
Tom

Old 01-25-2007, 05:47 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a leather jacket for warm weather riding.

I have the perforated leather jacket from Fox Creek. Bummer to hear they're discontinuing it, I really like mine.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:51 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I used to wear an AGV sport jakcet when it was warm, i got it online from chaparral.com. I sold it to a friend and when I get a new jacket for warm weather it will be a non leather one. One of those breathable nylon ones withthe built in armor. For now when it is warm I wear my jean jacket...Better than nothing, and guess what, it is warm today.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: petemac

I have the perforated leather jacket from Fox Creek. Bummer to hear they're discontinuing it, I really like mine.
tis true; if you hurry you may still be able to get these - possibly on SALE like I did. I live in hollywood, fla. just got mine last month - one of my better decisions. you cannot beat the quality for price ANYWHERE! service is top shelf too!

Old 01-25-2007, 06:05 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, their service is excellent. They'll work with you on any problems and if you have a sizing problem with a jacket, like I did, they will send you another jacket with a pre-paid postage sticker in the box. Then you just return the other jacket. Doesn't costyou a nickel and you getthe new jacket in a couple of days.

ORIGINAL: Rebel Ryder

ORIGINAL: petemac

tis true; if you hurry you may still be able to get these - possibly on SALE like I did. I live in hollywood, fla. just got mine last month - one of my better decisions. you cannot beat the quality for price ANYWHERE! service is top shelf too!

Old 01-25-2007, 06:15 PM
hd55
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

leatherup

Old 01-25-2007, 07:56 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: hd55

leatherup
I checked out Leatherup and didn't notice any perforated leather jackets. Is there one on their site that is suppose to be better than the others, for warm weather riding?
Tom

Old 01-25-2007, 08:40 PM
LRonHoover
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.leather.com/motorcycle/de...cycle_main.htm

Old 01-25-2007, 08:57 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,091 Likes on 5,311 Posts

There are many companies that make leather mesh jackets, such as Vanson, First Gear and others. You're only limited by how much you want to spend.

That said, you're going to sweat in any kind of leather, perforated or not. It is usually over 100 degrees in the part of SoCal I live in during the summer (though we lack your humidity), and leather would be an impossibility here.

I do have a suggestion, however, if you're open. last summer I bought a Powertrip Voodoo jacket, and it turned out to be the bomb (see it here). It's leather across the top of the shoulders and back, and down the back of the sleeves. The rest is black mesh material. And it's fully armored with perforated armor in the shoulders, forearms, and back. The effect is as though you weren't wearing any jacket at all, you're fully protected, and you have the leather look.

Some of these jackets come with a waterproof liner, some don't. I didn't need it because it never rains in SoCal in the summer, but you might want it.

Anyway, it's the best summer jacket I've owned, and it's worth a look!

Philip

Old 01-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Danny Never
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Vanson. They are pricey, but the leather is thicker and nicer than most, 1.5mm and feels broken in brand new. It has perforations all over, even the sleeves. Its so cool in the summer, I don't even bother with mesh jackets anymore.

Quick Reply: Looking for a leather jacket for warm weather riding.