General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer 1, Road King 0

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012 | 03:03 PM
Double Duece
|
Tourer
Default Deer 1, Road King 0

Hit a doe last night, my knees have road rash and are swollen, my ankle and big toe are swollen, and my elbows are road rashed. My road king didn't fair as well. Chrushed the front fender, broke the headlight and running lights, broke right mirror, bent crash bars, ground the right hard bag lid, broke the tabs on the right side plastic cover, put big dent on the left side of tank, and bent the front forks. It is a 02 with 16500 miles. I bought it in Feb. with 7800 miles. Is it worth rebuilding, or should I ask for it to be totaled? The last thing my OL said when I left the house was watch out for deer. Goes to show, Im not a good listner.

Old 09-23-2012 | 03:26 PM
Rooster37
Road Master

I dont know how fast you hit it but make sure your frame is straight. IMO you are probably close to it being totaled. Glad you are all right! I live in deer heaven and prey all the time that the deer hear me coming... Heal up...

Old 09-23-2012 | 03:36 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Dollars wise probably totaled, particulaly if the frame is bent. If not bent maybe you can talk them into repairing it.

It's still the best touring bike year (02,) in Harley's Twin Cam history. Or instead of cash, you might also ask them to replace it with another 02.

I did that once with a special Mopar back in the day.

Old 09-23-2012 | 04:42 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Insurance is going to look at what it was worth before the crash. If repairs are at or above that mark, they'll total it. Bent frame or not. Good luck. And glad you're going to be okay.

Old 09-23-2012 | 06:27 PM
Harley Tim
Road Master

Yeah.....Them deer are brutal aren't they? I've hit 2, and nothing good comes from it! (Torn rotator cuff, 4 broke ribs, and a fractured lower leg).The only good thing was one of them became Thanksgiving dinner a couple years ago.

Glad to see you're up and about, and able to talk about it so soon. That's a good sign.

Get well soon.

Best wishes....Tim(HT)

Old 09-23-2012 | 06:32 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

Glad you're here to tell us about it but I would bet the bike is done

Old 09-23-2012 | 06:35 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Double Duece
Hit a doe last night, my knees have road rash and are swollen, my ankle and big toe are swollen, and my elbows are road rashed. My road king didn't fair as well. Chrushed the front fender, broke the headlight and running lights, broke right mirror, bent crash bars, ground the right hard bag lid, broke the tabs on the right side plastic cover, put big dent on the left side of tank, and bent the front forks. It is a 02 with 16500 miles. I bought it in Feb. with 7800 miles. Is it worth rebuilding, or should I ask for it to be totaled? The last thing my OL said when I left the house was watch out for deer. Goes to show, Im not a good listner.
They'll most likely total it. The bent crash bars are a good indicator of a damaged frame. They totalled my '11 softail,with 9,000 miles on it,with the identical damage you related. You lucked out just living to tell about it,as I did. Get a new scoot and ride like you mean it.

Old 09-23-2012 | 06:36 PM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Double Duece
Glad you came out okay- the bike is just a thing, it can be replaced-you can't!

It's becoming that time of year when all the deer are migrating- don't ride at night if you can.

The rebuild/total will be up to your carrier- keep us posted and thanks for the reality check!

Old 09-23-2012 | 06:42 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Twistnride
They'll most likely total it. The bent crash bars are a good indicator of a damaged frame. They totalled my '11 softail,with 9,000 miles on it,with the identical damage you related. You lucked out just living to tell about it,as I did. Get a new scoot and ride like you mean it.

Not really. They are pretty flimsy. You can flex them just by putting pressure on highway pegs if they're mounted on it. They only have three mounting points. They are good for when you drop your bike, but will fold up pretty easily in a crash.

Old 09-23-2012 | 06:45 PM
louie c
Tourer

yea,it sucks that you hit that deer,but at least your alive to tell the story.
I have hit two deers in the last 29 years and it was not fun.
hope you feel better soon and hope the insurance co. does the right thing.

KEEP RIDING

Quick Reply: Deer 1, Road King 0