General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deer 1, Road King 0

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012 | 06:51 PM
SinisterX
Road Warrior

I hate frickin deer! They totaled my car last fall. Hit by one on a dirt bike years ago. etc. etc.
Harley frames do NOT bend easy. If you loved your bike, bitch about everything to the insurance company and buy it back as a total and fix it yourself.

Old 09-23-2012 | 06:52 PM
anickel
Road Captain

Glad to hear your OK. It is that time of year again, the deer will be runing with one thing on there minds.

Old 09-23-2012 | 07:29 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master

Just wanna say I'm glad your not any worse than you are.. hang in and get better..

mavrick

Old 09-23-2012 | 09:04 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member

As soon as it starts getting dark, I follow a car, even if I have to wait for one. They have two headlights and two brake lights and weigh a hell of alot more. Glad you will be OK.

Old 09-23-2012 | 10:25 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

To heck with the bike, you're what's important so get well soon and hopefully the insurance company will treat you well.

I too live in "deer country" and fortunately I have yet to hit one with a car or especially a bike.
I've ridden in every state, including Alaska and Hawaii and Whitetails scare me more than any other critter. You just never know which way they may run, or if they will run at all.
I've had encounters with bear (black), moose, goats, bison, caribou, elk, horses, cows, dogs ,cats (and a few I may have mentioned) but they usually don't move as fast as Whitetails and some will even look to see how they can avoid you.

Old 09-23-2012 | 10:35 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member

Glad to hear you're still with us, hope you heal up quickly.

Originally Posted by Sling Blade NSAA
Glad you came out okay- the bike is just a thing, it can be replaced-you can't!

It's becoming that time of year when all the deer are migrating- don't ride at night if you can.

The rebuild/total will be up to your carrier- keep us posted and thanks for the reality check!
FWIW whitetail deer don't migrate. This time of the year the rut is starting, it's baby making time in the woods. That's what has them on the move.

Old 09-24-2012 | 07:02 AM
Double Duece
|
Tourer

Thanks for the replys. Im really sore this morning, but at work. Going to see the insurance co today(State Farm). The worst thing is the wife has really been upset since this has happend. I took her to the crash site, to take pictures of the deer. She seen how far the bike and I slide, and gets teary eyed at the drop of a hat.

Old 09-24-2012 | 07:16 AM
EveHD
Moderatress

Glad you're OK - Hug the wife. A lot!

Last year my Dad had an accident. He's fine and is still riding but the insurance co. did not total the bike even with $16K damage. So he wound up waiting 4 months for it to be worked on at Bumpus HD in Memphis.

Old 09-24-2012 | 08:34 AM
PosterPerfectPhoto
Tourer

I just posted this up a few days ago. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-g...-for-deer.html Hit one myself about 26 years ago and they totaled the bike. Scared my wife even more than it did me. (Probably because I was in too much pain for the first week to be scared) About 4 weeks ago we lost our newest niece (she was only 20) when she ran off the road in a cage trying to avoid a deer. I had attended their wedding only 2 days earlier.

FWIW, If they total the bike I would seriously consider keeping it and putting it back together myself. Not sure how your state works but here the title stays clean as long as the vehicle doesn't change hands. Or at least it did for a car we had totaled a few years back. (We kept it since the damage was all cosmetic and even then wasn't too bad)

Last edited by PosterPerfectPhoto; 09-24-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-24-2012 | 08:53 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Stories like this and the one above make me want to take up hunting. I know they are just doing what they do but I hate the God damn things. I pretty much avoid riding at night solely because of them. Riding the BRP this summer we were dodging them for miles in the morning. Even saw one get clobbered by an oncoming car within a cars length of us. One down.... I say.

Glad you're more or less okay. Road rash will heal up but leave you with some scars you can show your riding buddies for years to come. You earned a story to go with them as well. See what the insurance co says about the bike. Maybe the frame is straight and there's no damage other than cosmetic. If it's "totaled" buy it back cheap from the ins co and build it up just the way you want and pocket the difference. Maybe not. Either way - Glad you are here to tell the tale. Many are not.

PS - Curad ointment with silver works well (on me anyway) to heal up abrasions and kills off the baddies that the road leaves on your skin.

Quick Reply: Deer 1, Road King 0