General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

emsissions and air cooled engines

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 06:55 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread resurfaces a lot. No HD will not go all watercooled because the revolution is a tough sell. No profit if you can't sell motorcycles.

Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EnglishAdam
HD has water cooled engines already.

Do you honestly think that this wouldn't sell?

The aftermarket will come up with different exhausts, some people won't like it and will stop buying and others will be attracted to the marque.
B-T and Sporty MoCo liquid cooled engines are not in production...My opinion of what will or won't sell is of no concern to the MoCo...

But to answer your question, I think they will sell over time!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:57 PM
deez nuts
Road Captain
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

The revolution engine thats in the Vrod could easily be put into other Harley models. With a good exhaust it sounds great. My bro has one with a thunderheader on it and it sounds as mean as can be, really loud too. Not the best at idle but sounds really good to me.

Old 09-22-2012, 10:22 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

I seriously doubt very many people make the decision to buy a particular motorcycle based on sound. Looks maybe and how it performs on a test ride definitely, but sound no. You can always add an aftermarket exhaust if that is your thing.

One issue that perplexes me is the only bikes still made with 45 degree VTwins are Harleys and Harley clone bikes like the Victory and Japanese clones that are trying to copy Harley cruiser style. Every other VTwin design ever produced uses a 90 degree separation and 4 valves per cylinder with over head cams. This is no accident. The 90 degree VTwin is technically superior in every way due to perfect primary balance and the benefits this offers to the engine designer - lighter weight due to lower engine stresses which allow lighter construction, lower center of gravity due to mounting options, better cooling, a more versatile power band and more HP due to a higher allowable red line, etc.. Harley reminds me of Morgan (small British manufacturer of 1920's looking sports cars) in this regard, if anyone remembers they continued and possibly still do make cars with wooden frames just because it makes them unique from the rest. I think a lot of Harley buyers would be willing to do without the 45 degree VTwin look for a more advanced engine that vibrates less, makes more power, has a bigger power band, has no cooling issues and gets better fuel economy. Maybe continue to make the old 45 degree Vtwin for the image conscious buyers but put a better engine in the rest of the models for the rest of use that value performance over image.

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/En...ineBalance.pdf

Last edited by fat_tony; 09-22-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:42 PM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So a radiator would end the HD mystique? Why? I will admit I don't like the looks of a bike with a huge radiator protruding out of the nose. Surely the designers at the MoCo can come up with something pleasing to the eyes or at least not as prominent.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,602 Likes on 2,725 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
I seriously doubt very many people make the decision to buy a particular motorcycle based on sound. Looks maybe and how it performs on a test ride definitely, but sound no. You can always add an aftermarket exhaust if that is your thing.

One issue that perplexes me is the only bikes still made with 45 degree VTwins are Harleys and Harley clone bikes like the Victory and Japanese clones that are trying to copy Harley cruiser style. Every other VTwin design ever produced uses a 90 degree separation and 4 valves per cylinder with over head cams. This is no accident. The 90 degree VTwin is technically superior in every way due to perfect primary balance and the benefits this offers to the engine designer - lighter weight due to lower engine stresses which allow lighter construction, lower center of gravity due to mounting options, better cooling, a more versatile power band and more HP due to a higher allowable red line, etc.. Harley reminds me of Morgan (small British manufacturer of 1920's looking sports cars) in this regard, if anyone remembers they continued and possibly still do make cars with wooden frames just because it makes them unique from the rest. I think a lot of Harley buyers would be willing to do without the 45 degree VTwin look for a more advanced engine that vibrates less, makes more power, has a bigger power band, has no cooling issues and gets better fuel economy. Maybe continue to make the old 45 degree Vtwin for the image conscious buyers but put a better engine in the rest of the models for the rest of use that value performance over image.

Overhead cams and 4 valves/cylinder is not by definition better than a push rod engine. Every design has its trade offs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/columns/...y-gets-its-due

Old 09-23-2012, 12:53 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not perplexed. There are two air cooled Harley's of a different engine family in my garage for a reason. Keep your 90 degree four valves crap. I could buy several for the cost of just one of my Harley's. It is like the saying---if I have to explain you wouldn't understand anyway.
Originally Posted by fat_tony

Old 09-23-2012, 09:12 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by klaybus
Are there any states in the US that require motorcycle emission testing annually or semi annually?
If I'm correct,Maricopa County in Arizona is the only place...........so far.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:35 AM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Last edited by FBRR; 09-23-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:52 PM
gregvan
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Harley goes to liquid cooled engines there's a chance current air cooled models become even more desired than they are now and the resale price stays solid, maybe even increases over time.

I say this because a guy I work with is crazy about porsche cars. He told me in 1999 or 2000 they switched over from air cooled to liquid cooled engines in the 911 and now all the people who are into those cars want the late '90s air cooled models.

Not sure if the same will happen with Harleys but I can see it happening.

Quick Reply: emsissions and air cooled engines