Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Home on Busted Cam Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 02:04 PM
tom1169
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will tell you the dealers do know about this. However, there is nothing in the owners manual nor the dealers manual. When you take it to the dealer, and they hear it run, yep that is the cam chain tensioner. Cost me little over 1600 bucks to have them fix it. I wrote to every board member twice, same answer both times your warranty expired nothing we can or will do. In other words, pay and get it fixed or go some place else. Now isn't that wonderful customer relations. I now have a box full of cams bearing oil pump, worn out cam chain tensions, whats left, cam chain, and not ounce sympathy from Harley. Not even Willie, who I found out is an empty suit. I wonder if a class action suite is in order? Keep watching.... Tom1169

Old 10-27-2012, 02:39 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,574 Likes on 3,871 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
Bill, the TC motor changed in 2006-2007. The cam chain follower arrangement is completely revamped. the ones that have all the problems are the spring loaded tensioners in the 1999-2005 variants.
Hmm. Not the 2006s ?

Old 10-27-2012, 07:46 PM
MrMax
Cruiser

Sounds like he got lucky. I opened mine up at 25K, and the outer was 2x worn as the inner. Checked that my my crank run-out was in spec(< .003), and ordered/installed 26G gear drive cams. Wont be thinking about cams/tensioners anymore.

Old 10-27-2012, 07:56 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
Hmm. Not the 2006s ?
I think only the 06 Dynas had the new setup. The rest of the BTs followed in 07. At least thats with the Electra Glides.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:15 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by tom1169
I will tell you the dealers do know about this. However, there is nothing in the owners manual nor the dealers manual. When you take it to the dealer, and they hear it run, yep that is the cam chain tensioner. Cost me little over 1600 bucks to have them fix it. I wrote to every board member twice, same answer both times your warranty expired nothing we can or will do. In other words, pay and get it fixed or go some place else. Now isn't that wonderful customer relations. I now have a box full of cams bearing oil pump, worn out cam chain tensions, whats left, cam chain, and not ounce sympathy from Harley. Not even Willie, who I found out is an empty suit. I wonder if a class action suite is in order? Keep watching.... Tom1169
Unfortunatley, **** happens. Know why there hasn't been a class action suit brought for this? Because no lawyer is dumb enough to invest the time and money into a case they know they'll never win. Parts wear out, and it's not illegal for companies to use cheap parts if they so choose.

Does it suck? Sure does, but your choices are simple; suck it up and pay for the repair or sell the scoot and buy a different one

Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's a phrase for that: "Planned Obsolecense" Parts are designed to take a **** right after your warranty expires lol.

But who cares? Upgrading to the new hydraulic design (which doesn't have any problems, contrary to what some would tell you) is the best idea, and only costs a few hundred dollars if you do it yourself. I HAD to do that on my 2000 Heritage, my crank runout was a little too high to use gear drives,a nd I didn't want all that noise anyway. Also, I've replaced more of those TC88 tensioners than i can count for customer bikes, The key is synthetic oil. I've seen bikes that have run synthetic since day one, not wear out the shoes untill 50,000 miles. It's always the ones that run conventional oil that have issues early on, my theory being that the shoes, made of plastic, which is made of petroleum, has an adverse reaction to petrouleum based oil.

Old 10-27-2012, 11:14 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by Neckball
Checking the tensioners is not like checking the air in your tires, there is a bit more involved. I'd say any dealer you take your motorcycle to will check your tensioners if you ask ( and pay for the time / labor ).
I guess I'm a little confused. I keep reading on this forum about guys "going in and checking the cam chain tensioners". How do you check the inner tensioner without pulling the cam plate? Which requires removing push rods and lifters. Not a cheap job. And if you do do this I would think it would be cheaper to go to hydraulic or even gear drive (if your crank runout will allow it) As opposed to putting the junk spring tensioners back in and have to worry and redo them in a few thousand miles. Or am I missing something

Old 10-28-2012, 08:19 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kpb46
I guess I'm a little confused. I keep reading on this forum about guys "going in and checking the cam chain tensioners". How do you check the inner tensioner without pulling the cam plate? Which requires removing push rods and lifters. Not a cheap job. And if you do do this I would think it would be cheaper to go to hydraulic or even gear drive (if your crank runout will allow it) As opposed to putting the junk spring tensioners back in and have to worry and redo them in a few thousand miles. Or am I missing something
Nope your not missing nothing. You can use a flashlight and dental mirror to check the inner shoe.

cheers

Old 10-28-2012, 08:32 AM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sauceman
Nope your not missing nothing. You can use a flashlight and dental mirror to check the inner shoe.

cheers
Don't you still have to do all the above to get to cam plate out far enough to peek behind it??

Old 10-28-2012, 08:50 AM
Sauceman
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kpb46
Don't you still have to do all the above to get to cam plate out far enough to peek behind it??
You have to do what it takes to remove the cam cover.

cheers

Quick Reply: Road Home on Busted Cam Chain Tensioner