Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Home on Busted Cam Chain Tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 11:40 PM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonas
Your friend was lucky he did not have more damage. Did they just replace the stock spring tensioners or did they install the upgrade (hydralic kit). Either way he still would have had to pay to have it done. Unless he did it himself. Does not sound like that was going to happen. What is the other co-worker guy going to do, wait for his to blow up?
The dealer did the upgrade. Honestly, I don't waste my breath talking about maintenance with these guys anymore. Other guy will wait for it to blow up. Heck, last Friday we were riding and there was a guy in the group on a new Road King Classic with 600 miles. When we got to our destination the new bike had tons of play in the clutch. One of the co-workers being the master wrench, pulled the slack out of the cable at the handlebar and used zip ties as spacers between the control and the cable sleeve. After talking with the new bike owner I convinced him to cut those zip ties off and we spent 10 minutes to properly adjust the clutch cable. Co-worker appeared a bit peeved.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:43 PM
garand
Road Master

Originally Posted by brenn
I've heard fo making fun of the guys who DON'T do their own, but making fun of the guys who do? That's a new one. Do they make fun of you for wearing pants or standing up to pee, anything like that?
You should've been there for the lecture I received over carrying a spare shift linkage. "I just don't believe a person should be wrenching on their own bike unless they're a certified mechanic. It no safe." -That type of ****. Always a snide remark after I mention any work I've done.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:38 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by traveler
Bill, the TC motor changed in 2006-2007. The cam chain follower arrangement is completely revamped. the ones that have all the problems are the spring loaded tensioners in the 1999-2005 variants.

~Joe
I haven't taken my primary cover down, but according to my Service Manual, my '11 Dyna 96" still has a (newly designed) spring chain tensioner, not hydraulic

Old 09-18-2012, 07:39 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Originally Posted by ghira75
I haven't taken my primary cover down, but according to my Service Manual, my '11 Dyna 96" still has a (newly designed) spring chain tensioner, not hydraulic
I'ts worth looking in and checking play. Some have issues. Its the cam tensioners that have been changed to hyd in 07+

Last edited by soft 02; 09-18-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by soft 02
I'ts worth looking in and checking play. Some have issues. Its the cam tensioners that have been changed to hyd in 07+
Some have issues?? This super simple piece had issues and, for what I read, it was just a piece of rubbish on the 88". Now the newly designed tensioner on the 96" has issue too??
It's such a simple mechanical piece that a team of engineers should have really no trouble designing it so it wouldn't fail. I wonder if this is yet another piece that comes from China and assembled in Milwaukee.

The reality of having to get my hands dirty with my new engine is starting to really sink in...

Old 09-18-2012, 07:59 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Some have issues?? This super simple piece had issues and, for what I read, it was just a piece of rubbish on the 88". Now the newly designed tensioner on the 96" has issue too??
It's such a simple mechanical piece that a team of engineers should have really no trouble designing it so it wouldn't fail. I wonder if this is yet another piece that comes from China and assembled in Milwaukee.

The reality of having to get my hands dirty with my new engine is starting to really sink in...
Re read my response to the quote.I was responding about the auto primary tensioner that the previous poster commented on. The CAM tensioner on the 96" is as close to perfect as we have seen and in my experience the auto primary adjuster is fine.

Last edited by soft 02; 09-18-2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by soft 02
Re read my response to the quote.I was responding about the auto primary tensioner that the previous poster commented on. The CAM tensioner on the 96" is as close to perfect as we have seen and in my experience the auto primary adjuster is fine.
Gotcha. Still, my auto primary adjuster makes a noise it shouldn't. I suppose I'll have to open it to have a look for piece of mind..

Old 09-18-2012, 09:13 AM
garand
Road Master

Gotcha. Still, my auto primary adjuster makes a noise it shouldn't. I suppose I'll have to open it to have a look for piece of mind..
What kind of noise is it? Mine was making a hell of a whirring noise so I cracked it open and released the tension on the tensioner. I think it was a bit tight, but I'm sure it'll ratchet itself back up there again. The other problem with whirring or screeching from the primary could be an inner primary bearing. From what I understand that sound will stop if you pull in the clutch. ..if that's what it its.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 AM
ghira75
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by garand
What kind of noise is it? Mine was making a hell of a whirring noise so I cracked it open and released the tension on the tensioner. I think it was a bit tight, but I'm sure it'll ratchet itself back up there again. The other problem with whirring or screeching from the primary could be an inner primary bearing. From what I understand that sound will stop if you pull in the clutch. ..if that's what it its.
the sound doesn't stop by pulling the clutch in, so I believe it's the tensioner. Also the HD mechanic heard it and he said it was that the chain was loose , but not loose enough for the adjuster to click into the next tooth. He said it would take 100mi roughly to happen, that was 1000mi ago.....

Old 09-18-2012, 01:06 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,305 Likes on 2,511 Posts

[I]
But right now I can't open the primary myself and try to have a look or "it will void my warranty". I'm stuck.
no, you aren't stuck. it will absolutely not void your warranty to remove your outer primary cover. this isn't like an electronic device that they put a sticker over the seam that says 'void if removed'. for that matter, how would they even know?

Originally Posted by garand
The other problem with whirring or screeching from the primary could be an inner primary bearing. From what I understand that sound will stop if you pull in the clutch. ..if that's what it its.
my ipb would make a hell of a noise until i pulled in the clutch, and put it in gear. if i left it in neutral, it would still make the noise. drop it in first, quiet as a mouse.

Last edited by skratch; 09-18-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Road Home on Busted Cam Chain Tensioner