General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

prescripition glasses

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:28 PM
Dirtball
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prescripition glasses

Short of paying for prescription foam glasses, what do you wear over your glasses to keep the wind and dust out of your eyes? I wear presecription glasses, currently wear a 1/2 helmet with built in sun visor. I am looking for just something that will go over my glasses and prevent the wind and debris from getting into my eyes. I tried the goggle thing but did not like them at all. Any ideas?

Old 09-16-2012, 05:43 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain

Yea I'm interested in this as well. My close eyesight is shot and reading the Guages and GPS is a guessing game for the most part anything past that I'm good so don't have a restriction. I've been wearing my Riding glasses and just getting by with my Short helmet.

Well I did a Longer haul this weekend and took the FullFace and figured I would just wear my regular glasses as they change from light to dark like my riding ones and WOW what a difference in the ride it made.

So I need to figure something out or just spring for a set of Script riders . I did the Goggle thing and didn't like it either just didn't feel right.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:47 PM
ytsejam27
3rd Gear

I use Global Vision Outfitter glasses to go over my prescription glasses. They come in several colors. I use the smoke for day and yellow for night. They also have lenses that go from dark to light, but haven't tried them.

You can find em on amazon for like $12. Not the best looking but they work damn well and pretty comfortable.

Old 09-16-2012, 05:50 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

I have the same problem, but picked up a pair very similar to this at Rite -Aid.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Polarize...ht_3635wt_1186
My glasses are huge, and these fit right over them perfectly. Even at 90MPH, they are steady as a rock, never had any problem with them staying put.

I got 3 pairs with different colored lenses for use depending on the lighting conditions.
works for me, and cheap enough too.
I have wasted more money buying goggles on the net, only to find that they wouldn't work with my huge glasses.
They might not be the most glamorous things on the market, but at my age I could care less what they look like, as long as they work, and these worked out great for me.
peace

Last edited by Ragtop; 09-16-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Capt Itch also sells these. I think they fit over most prescription glasses
http://www.shop.captain-itch.com/Ugl...ly-Goggles.htm

Old 09-16-2012, 06:09 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I've been using bifocal safety glasses, they come in different powers and colors and cost about $10 a pair. This will only work for those who need glasses for reading the gauges and maps, if distance is your issue these won't help.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:26 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I choose prescription glasses that have small lenses and fit close to my face.
No problem with wind.
Years ago I had a pair that were a little larger and didn't fit so close. Sometimes the wind would make my eyes water. I lost them when riding. I think about it when I'm shopping for glasses.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:52 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with wind and dust. My eyes would be burning at the end of the day, plus would pick up some sand or dirt in my eyes a lot while riding. I had a set of prescribtion glasses like my regular daily wear glasses, that let a lot of air and dust fly into my eyes. I looked for some prescribtion sun glasses that fit close to my face to stop some of that.
I bit the bullet and bought some WilleyX Air Rage with the foam inserts. The foam is removable on these. I thought I would hate the foam and had plans to remove it.
Actually, I love the foam to seal off around my eyes and the bifocals work great.
I am glad I went with them. I got mine from RX-Safety.com. Pretty good price compaired to my eye doctor also. I feel they offer a lot of protection as they are high impact safety glasses.
Other guys here have listed some options worth trying also.
Good luck on finding what works for you.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 PM
2ropes
Road Captain

May want to read through this thread while your looking.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...rk-enough.html

I have been searching for something to wear also because riding without my windshield my eyes water and my transition lenses don't get dark enough for early morning or late evening rides with the sun in your face. On one of my trips thru NJ I stopped at a Harley dealership and found a pair of sun glasses that fit over my prescription glasses. Not brand name and was only $20, worked well but still looking for a prescription pair of glasses I can use day or night. May try a pair of wileyx or 7 eye.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:14 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirtball
Short of paying for prescription foam glasses, what do you wear over your glasses to keep the wind and dust out of your eyes? I wear presecription glasses, currently wear a 1/2 helmet with built in sun visor. I am looking for just something that will go over my glasses and prevent the wind and debris from getting into my eyes. I tried the goggle thing but did not like them at all. Any ideas?
I wear my clear percription glasses, with an AFX 72 series half helmet that has a dark tinted self storing pulldown shield. Nothing extra to carry or put on. No fuss no muss. Also the Scorpion EXO 100 helmet. Afx about $60, Scorpian about $100.

Quick Reply: prescripition glasses