General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another brass spring plate implosion Clutch Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Grimace97
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another brass spring plate implosion Clutch Recommendations?

So clutch has been a mess for a few weeks. to the point im not confortable riding.

Finally pilled the primary cover today. I dont have the spring compession tool, but i can see the brass rivits on in the basket.

so, new clutch time..

Do i

Just replace the spring plate with two steels and a friction?

or buy all new plates while im in there?

97 king with 35k

Old 09-15-2012, 06:07 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a procedure for checking wear plates and steel plates in the clutch pack. Get a sheet of glass or another dead flat surface and place each plate on the flat surface looking for warps.
Inspect each plate for glazing, unusual wear marks, etc. and set aside the good ones for reuse if you want to use them again.

You obviously need to replace plate with the broken rivets.

I wonder if there is another underlying reason (riding the clutch? improper adjustment?) you need to replace clutch pack parts at 35k? Quite unusual to need to do this at that mileage.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:23 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where are the brass rivits?

Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Bob there is a parts seller online that has exploded drawings or many components of Evo and Twinkie bikes. I'm sure they would have an evo clutch pack.
Can't remember their name unfortunately.

I'm trying to find it-- got it bookmarked at work but not home... If anyone has the link would you kindly post it here?
Meanwhile I'll keep looking.

Old 09-15-2012, 06:43 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Got it-- Item 15.... Great site BTW.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....LUTCH-ASSEMBLY

Old 09-15-2012, 06:53 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

There are rivits that fasten the starter ring gear to the outer clutch hub and if those rivits wear, there are kits available to remove the rivits and replace the ring gear...J&P has those kits...This is only an example!

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/603-147

Old 09-15-2012, 07:11 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Bob you are correct but I don't think Grimace is referring to the starter ring gear as he writes: "but i can see the brass rivits on in the basket"

Grimace with respect, a bit more info with a more informative explanation would be helpful. Trying to diagnose issues from sketchy info is why your post sat for a while before comment.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:18 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Originally Posted by V2Evo96
Grimace with respect, a bit more info with a more informative explanation would be helpful. Trying to diagnose issues from sketchy info is why your post sat for a while before comment.
Amen!

Old 09-15-2012, 07:28 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

There is a procedure for checking wear plates and steel plates in the clutch pack. Get a sheet of glass or another dead flat surface and place each plate on the flat surface looking for warps.
Inspect each plate for glazing, unusual wear marks, etc. and set aside the good ones for reuse if you want to use them again.

I wonder if there is another underlying reason (riding the clutch? improper adjustment?) you need to replace clutch pack parts at 35k? Quite unusual to need to do this at that mileage.

This is a common problem on Sportsters. 30,000 miles is about average before the rivets in the clutch spring plate fail. If caught early, you can usually get by replacing the spring plate. Ignore the early signs of the failure, and you'll be replacing the entire clutch basket.

The best fix is to install the SE plate set, it doesn't have the crappy spring plate.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:40 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cHarley
This is a common problem on Sportsters. 30,000 miles is about average before the rivets in the clutch spring plate fail. If caught early, you can usually get by replacing the spring plate. Ignore the early signs of the failure, and you'll be replacing the entire clutch basket.

The best fix is to install the SE plate set, it doesn't have the crappy spring plate.

His ride is a '97 King with 35k....

Quick Reply: Another brass spring plate implosion Clutch Recommendations?