General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you get paint protection on your bike?
Some key Parts (Example - the tank top, the front fender, and wing if you have one)
29.17%
The Entire bike (Example - all painted surfaces)
20.83%
none - I would rather paint my bike every few years
50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Paint Protection Question - POLL

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Blowzo
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Paint Protection Question - POLL

When you purchase your cars you go through F&I and they ask you if you want Lojack, paint protection, or scotchguard seats.

My question to you is with all the money you put into your bike, would you pay a little more to the dealership to get paint protection film on your bikes?

edit - adding later post

I wasn't referring to the crap the dealership sells. I was referring to some aftermarket awesome paint protection. This is a HUGE seller in dealership, especially lately because the film has gotten way better, and more cost efficient. All bikes get rock chips, debree chips, and maybe some tank scratches on it. This would prevent all of that keeping your paint crystal clear. It would also make the bug juice come off a lot smoother. This protection also protects from the sun killing your paint over the years. Believe it or not, it helps the paint as well if you drp it at low speeds

Look at this example

pretty compelling....

another note.... If you have a FLAT Black... it scratches easier, and you can't buff it out like gloss black.

Last edited by Blowzo; 09-14-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:58 PM
1sicmofo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blowzo
When you purchase your cars you go through F&I and they ask you if you want Lojack, paint protection, or scotchguard seats.

My question to you is with all the money you put into your bike, would you pay a little more to the dealership to get paint protection film on your bikes?
working for car dealers for way to many years i can tell you paint sealant they offer is PURE CRAP all you are buying is a insurance policy.

Only extra i buy is the wheel n tire, because New wheels are expensive!!!!

And living in Zoo Jersey home of the MOST n Largest POTHOLES its worth it.

Want Good Paint n Chrome protection use Zaino Wax expensive but Well Worth the MONEY $$$$$$

Last edited by 1sicmofo; 09-14-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:03 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 705 Likes on 467 Posts

I can do a better job of protecting the paint myself.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:06 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

All that stuff is, is pure profit for the dealer

Old 09-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I opt to wash and wax mine. Feel free to pay extra for a gimmick though.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:10 PM
gnewman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why would you need to paint your bike every few years? Keep it clean and protective wax. Don't store it outside if you can and it should last a long time. I wouldn't buy that crap from a dealer!

Old 09-14-2012, 04:27 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,975 Likes on 4,167 Posts

You left out none, it last a long time. My 04 still looks pretty good for no care other then stored in a shed and wiped off if wet when brought in. Did take a water hose to it one time when storm brought in a high tide that I went thru trying to get out of my rain softened back yard. Harley's don't like muddy soft ground.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Blowzo
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I wasn't referring to the crap the dealership sells. I was referring to some aftermarket awesome paint protection. This is a HUGE seller in dealership, especially lately because the film has gotten way better, and more cost efficient. All bikes get rock chips, debree chips, and maybe some tank scratches on it. This would prevent all of that keeping your paint crystal clear. It would also make the bug juice come off a lot smoother. This protection also protects from the sun killing your paint over the years. Believe it or not, it helps the paint as well if you drp it at low speeds

Look at this example

pretty compelling....

another note.... If you have a FLAT Black... it scratches easier, and you can't buff it out like gloss black.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:45 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Dirt will inevitably get under the film at some point, then there's no way to clean it. Plus, no matter what they claim, you will always see the film

Old 09-14-2012, 05:30 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

No to paint protection, and I don't use cleaners/wax either. I used to watch my neighbor "wax" the paint right off his car every few months.
If I was to wash my 12 year old truck the paint would look like new (other than the scratches).

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Question - POLL