General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Port Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012 | 08:44 AM
P Diddy
|
Novice
Default Exhaust Port Gaskets

Ok, so I purchased a set of Vance & Hines True Duals for my '09 Ultra. I removed the stock pipes and there were no exhaust port gaskets in the ports or on the old pipes. The V&H pipes came with these flat gaskets and there is no way these things will fit in the exhaust ports. No way I tell you! There is a hint of a groove in the cylinder head where these gaskets might go, but it's impossible to get them to stay there while trying to install the new pipes. Has anyone else experienced this? What to do? I finally gave up and quit messing with it last night. Defeated.

Old 09-13-2012 | 09:26 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member

Go get some gaskets from HD. $5 each about 3/16" thick.

Old 09-13-2012 | 10:09 AM
skully1200
Road Master

The old gaskets are in there. I promise. Get a little pick tool of some sort and poke around in the exhaust port. You'll find that what you thought was metal is actually woven crush gaskets, and they will pull right out once you get ahold of them.

Old 09-13-2012 | 10:10 AM
TX Rebel
Cruiser

The old gaskets are cone shaped, so it's hard to tell that they are there. take a small screwdriver and lift a portion of the gasket and then grab it with needle nose pliers and pull it out.

Old 09-13-2012 | 11:15 AM
P Diddy
|
Novice

Originally Posted by TX Rebel
The old gaskets are cone shaped, so it's hard to tell that they are there. take a small screwdriver and lift a portion of the gasket and then grab it with needle nose pliers and pull it out.
Thanks for this information. I'l look again and see if I can get ahold of anything. I'll go get a couple Harley gaskets as well. Don't care for the ones that came with the pipes.

Old 09-13-2012 | 12:36 PM
TX Rebel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by P Diddy
Thanks for this information. I'l look again and see if I can get ahold of anything. I'll go get a couple Harley gaskets as well. Don't care for the ones that came with the pipes.
The gaskets, that come with the V&H, are the same as the Harley SE gaskets, atleast the ones that came with mine were. If you want the cone style, get the stock Harley gasket.

Old 09-13-2012 | 01:03 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member

The must be in there and the new ones can be a bitch to get in.

Old 09-13-2012 | 02:21 PM
P Diddy
|
Novice

Originally Posted by TX Rebel
The gaskets, that come with the V&H, are the same as the Harley SE gaskets, atleast the ones that came with mine were. If you want the cone style, get the stock Harley gasket.
Went to the dealer over the noon hour and bought two Harley exhaust gaskets and they don't look anything like the ones that came with the pipes. These will work. I'll clean ou the ports tonight, install these and reattach the new pipes. All will be right with the world, once again. Thanks everyone for your responses. Ain't the internet great!

Old 09-13-2012 | 02:26 PM
harley_jeff
Road Master

I've been running Rinehart pipes, and they use something called a "James" gasket in place of the H-D exhaust gasket.

Old 09-13-2012 | 02:52 PM
gotnspikes
Road Warrior

Buying a set of V&H Big Radius from a guy I ride with sometimes for $100. He's going to get the o2 ports drilled (they are currently plated over) at a shop he has access too. I have to wait until he has time to do this which is going to be first part of Oct. I have a 2012 Softail Deluxe that I've had for a little over a year now, with the stock pipes that I think are ugly. I am chomping at the bit to get the new to me pipes put on my bike. Can't believe I'm getting the pipes I want for $100.

He's even throwing in new gaskets.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Port Gaskets