General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Light Flickers on after bike starts...?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:53 AM
Junior_co
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Light Flickers on after bike starts...?

Update 9/26/12:

Today while running around, I started her up and the engine light came on as well as the battery light. Also on the speed-o display, it popped up with something like "V?????" That disappeared and both the other lights went back off as well.

Put a meter on the battery when I got home. Voltage was ~12.3vdc with the bike off. It dropped to 9.25 VDC when starting and up to 13.5-14.25 while running....

I remember reading about the "v??????" message somewhere on here, so I'll look around for that to see what it might mean in relation to all this...

So, if ya have any more suggestions, please let me know...

Jr

Update:

Took her in to the dealership. The Voltage regulator didn't fall in to the date codes of the recall, but they changed it out anyway.

Still having the same problem: Start the bike and the battery light comes on for about 1/2 - 1 second (after it starts) and then turns back off... She seems normal in every other way. I'll put a meter on her this week to see what the charging voltage is.

Any more ideas on this?
Jr

So, I have a 2012 Wide Glide (bouth in April) with ~5000 miles on her...

Just last week I noticed that the battery light flickers on for about a half second after she starts up... I don't ever recall this happening before so I'm thinking the battery is starting to fail?

I understand HD probably doesn't use the best quality batteries in the world but I would think they would last longer than 5 months.

Anyway, I'm thinking that since the light goes back out right away that the charging system is working well enough and it's just during the cranking phase that the voltage drops below the warning level...

I guess I'll pick up a trickle charger and start looking for a new battery as well...

Last edited by Junior_co; 09-26-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:05 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Junior_co
So, I have a 2012 Wide Glide (bouth in April) with ~5000 miles on her...

Just last week I noticed that the battery light flickers on for about a half second after she starts up... I don't ever recall this happening before so I'm thinking the battery is starting to fail?

I understand HD probably doesn't use the best quality batteries in the world but I would think they would last longer than 5 months.

Anyway, I'm thinking that since the light goes back out right away that the charging system is working well enough and it's just during the cranking phase that the voltage drops below the warning level...

I guess I'll pick up a trickle charger and start looking for a new battery as well...
The first thing I would do is check the connections of the cables at the battery...Also I think just about all of the 2012 Harleys were included in the voltage regulator recall...You might want to drop by the dealership and see if yours is involved in the recall.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 AM
Junior_co
Cruiser

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
The first thing I would do is check the connections of the cables at the battery...Also I think just about all of the 2012 Harleys were included in the voltage regulator recall...You might want to drop by the dealership and see if yours is involved in the recall.
Yea, I checked the connections.... I got about an 1/8 turn on both Pos and Neg connections. Didn't change the out come.

Thanks for the recall info. I'll check it out

Jr

Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned before recall on the regulator. Voltage light flickering on start up could very likely not be battery. It is the charging system most likely. You should get two to three years out of a battery at least.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,035 Likes on 773 Posts

It does sound like more of a charging problem. But you also need to check the ground cable connection from the battery. Your bike is still under warranty and that includes the battery so don't buy one while it's still covered.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:20 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

There's a Service Bulletin out on 2012 Voltage Regulators.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-bulletin.html

Old 09-13-2012, 03:27 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually the OEM batteries are one of the few replacement parts I trust.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Junior_co
Cruiser

Thanks for the link cHarley...

The HD site where I put my VIN # in said I had no service bulletins, but I'll be checking the numbers on the unit it's self to be sure... Either way I'll be contacting the dealer for the warenty.

Good on ya.

Junior

Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have a Multimeter or Voltmeter handy, check the voltage at the battery while the engine is running. The standard voltage level at or above 2,000-rpm is between 13.5-14.5 VDC. This is always a good place to begin when tracing a charging system issue.

If you don't have a Multimeter, go get one! You'll use it more than you can imagine!

Old 09-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Junior_co
Cruiser

Update:

Took her in to the dealership. The Voltage regulator didn't fall in to the date codes of the recall, but they changed it out anyway.

Still having the same problem: Start the bike and the battery light comes on for about 1/2 - 1 second (after it starts) and then turns back off... She seems normal in every other way. I'll put a meter on her this week to see what the charging voltage is.

Any more ideas on this?
Jr

Quick Reply: Battery Light Flickers on after bike starts...?