General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you do when...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012 | 01:49 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior

If you do get it started...don't forget to check your tires...

Old 09-12-2012 | 02:10 PM
frankyblue
|
1st Gear

I am not sure about my battery charger because it says the battery is fully charged after 30 minutes. So I get about a haft of minute of trying to start the bike before the battery goes died. So Jeffrey could be right.

If my charger is the problem (which sucks it brand new) then maybe I could charge the battery and hook up jumper cables.

Old 09-12-2012 | 02:31 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

-Get a new battery
-Check the air pressure in your tires
-Do a good pre-ride inspection...fasteners, lights, etc.
-Check your oil.
-If you didn't put stabil in your gas when you parked it, suck it out with a hand pump and put fresh gas in it.
-Make up for lost time & ride the **** out of it!

Old 09-12-2012 | 02:59 PM
firefighter616
Club Member

Can I say, "service manual"???

Old 09-12-2012 | 03:03 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Originally Posted by frankyblue
you havnt rode you bike in a while.

Obviously charge the battery. I have not touched my street bob in a few months due to a move and it being 105 outside.

I got the battery charged up, but is there anything else I should look at?

I can get the bike to it to turn over, but not fire up (edit). Also when I turn the bike switch on, there used to be a kinda buzzing sound. Now that is not happening.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
How much fuel was in the tank before the long break?

Old 09-12-2012 | 03:36 PM
frankyblue
|
1st Gear

There was about a quarter of a tank. You think if a mix it with fresh gas, that I wont have to suck it out?

If the gas is bad. Do i have to get the bad gas out of the lines, fuel pump, extra?

Old 09-12-2012 | 03:40 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member

I am not sure about my battery charger because it says the battery is fully charged after 30 minutes. So I get about a haft of minute of trying to start the bike before the battery goes died. So Jeffrey could be right.

If my charger is the problem (which sucks it brand new) then maybe I could charge the battery and hook up jumper cables.
I'd bet that the battery is no good! Your charger is showing that it is a fully charged battery after 1/2 an hour? The charger is probably only seeing the residual SURFACE CHARGE on the battery. Sounds like a bad cell on the battery. I wouldn't be so quick to call your new charger defective.

Old 09-12-2012 | 03:42 PM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Get a new battery.............check the tires........

Old 09-12-2012 | 03:49 PM
frankyblue
|
1st Gear

I will replace the battery. Not hearing the fuel pump put me into a little of a panic.

I told myself to start the bike every couple of weeks, but when i do it sets off a whole parking garage of car alarms. Which is awesome, when your driving away from the apartment complex...

Old 09-12-2012 | 04:21 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

There was about a quarter of a tank. You think if a mix it with fresh gas, that I wont have to suck it out?

If the gas is bad. Do i have to get the bad gas out of the lines, fuel pump, extra?
Another thing you can try is remove the spark plugs and check to see if the plugs are wet with fuel. Check to see if the plugs are firing by placing a spark-plug into the plug wire cap, grounding the plug to a bare surface (the head) and turing the motor over..Make sure the spark-plug is not near the spark-plug hole because you will wind up getting a quick sun-tan!

I'm no expert but from those I know who have EFI, any air in the fuel line is not good. An air pocket in the fuel line can prevent fuel flow. Purging air from the fuel line (assuming there is any) is a task that requires more than hand tools...You could scour the DIY section for some more info on this.

Quick Reply: What do you do when...