General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non DOT helmet ticket is $117!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:24 PM
madelf
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Non DOT helmet ticket is $117!

The sucky part is that I have to post the $117 in order to fight the ticket.
What in the...
Guilty until proven innocent I guess? What the heck right do they have to your money before they've even convicted you?

I can't say I'd be up in arms over the ticket, if I wasactually doing whatI wasticketed for (though I can't blame you for givinga shot at beating it -hey, it'd save you money and they have enough already)... but I'd have probably wound up with a contempt of court chargeabout the timethe judgepopped out with that "Pay the fine in advance in case you don't win" bullhonky.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:25 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: chester1957

NO helmet= ABATE. Federal road grants, stick em up ur azz. We'll pave our own roads and ride em how we want.
I agree !!

Old 01-23-2007, 10:28 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: T 3

I'd go to court,bring that blue Arai full face helmet you own with you,tell the judge that you're changing your plea to guilty,that you'llalways wear the proper helmet in the future and ask if you can have court supervision for the offense.
I think this is very good advice....

Admit you were at fault, and show the court that you have spent the money for an 'approved helmet'.

I don't know how you could 'fight the citation', or plead 'not guilty', and many times it has more of a positive impact to just admit you were at fault, and let them know it won't happen again.

Anyway, it couldn't hurt anything to try...

Old 01-23-2007, 10:38 PM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: T 3

I'd go to court,bring that blue Arai full face helmet you own with you,tell the judge that you're changing your plea to guilty,that you'llalways wear the proper helmet in the future and ask if you can have court supervision for the offense.
Solid advice. Admission of wrongdoing, coupled with a concerted and demonstrated effort not to repeat the infraction has been known to garner extremely positive results in court. Judges like that kind of stuff. Aside from this, I don't know what there actually is to fight? Once a citation has already been issued, the courtroom is no place to begin an anti-helmet campaign. The judge is there to enforce the laws already on the books.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:46 PM
LRonHoover
Banned

That sucks big time, but that's exactly why I bought a DOT lid when I moved to this state.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:48 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it is time to start wearing one of my dot's again. I have 2 of them.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:06 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member

Received 24,091 Likes on 5,311 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I think it is time to start wearing one of my dot's again. I have 2 of them.
Not a bad idea in any event. Better for the ol' noggin anyway....

Sucks about the ticket, though. What a waste of money.

I guess I've gotta stay away from Lincoln Blvd in the future. No big bargains at Bartel's anyway...

Philip

Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
madelf
Tourer

Not a bad idea in any event. Better for the ol' noggin anyway....
That was what I decided backwhen I was first getting into riding. I'd finally found a full-face helmet that would fit my fat noggin (only had 1/2at first), but was dragging my heels over how outrageously expensive I thought it was. The friend who was along with me at the time just shrugged and asked, "How much is your head worth?" I thought that over for a minute and bought the helmet on the spot.Haven't worn the 1/2cap since.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:35 AM
waterman7474
Road Master

ORIGINAL: randy78045
Second, how does the cop know the helmet is not DOT? Did he test it? Is he a professional witness, with physics background and material strength background... am i missing something... i know law enforcement in Kalifornia is only about revenue collection, but seriously... unless im missing something, you need not testify to much of anything... the state has to go first... let the cop establish himself as an expert in dot classifications...
that is a good point!! how does that work?

btw, can someone pm me on where to get one of "those" stickers. i'd like one for my not-quite-dot ACC.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:36 AM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Do a Google search on CHP and DOT helmets, there's a whole bunch of stuff about it. The CHP has actually issued bulletins to their officers not to ticket for non-DOT helmets. Some guy continually has taken them to court over the helmet issue so they have backed off.
But if it's a local LEO then you may be screwed. It's up to you to fight it but the information from the CHP may help you with your case.

Quick Reply: Non DOT helmet ticket is $117!