General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went down hard...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 11:59 AM
STG246
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Went down hard...

August 4th I was in Illinois with my brother and a few other guys on our way to Sturgis, We came up over a rise in the highway, myself in the fast lane, my bro in the slow lane next to me, with a guy in front of him, and the 4th bike behind me, as we crested the hill an old woman decided it was ok to stop in the fast lane. As soon as I saw her I swerved hard right, when I was maybe 10 feet from her car, she backed up to the right (she missed her exit and was going to cut across the median) so when she backed up it closed the gap on me, my left leg was the first thing to hit her car (the right rear bumper) at 80 mph, my left fork leg hit the rear rim and ripped the rear axle of her car out of its mounts, blew out all the windows and airbags, and apparantly flipped me and my bike end over end (I have no memory of the impact) I came to rest in the middle of the highway, my brother dragged me to the shoulder of the road.
The ambulance finally showed up and took me to a small hospital that was way out of its league with my injuries so I was transferred to a level 1 trauma hospital, on the way my blood pressure dropped and I flatlined, they got my heart going again, when all was said and done, the injuries were:
Compound break of my femur (came through my inner thigh)
Fibula snapped
Ankle broken moving my foot 1" to the left
My big toe was broken and dislocated 2" and pointed 90 degrees left
My left heel pad was severed
23 stitches to close my forehead from where it slammed into the top of my windshield
Road rash up both arms and across my lower back
Several broken fingertips

21 Days in the hospital, 4 in ICU, they put a 15.5" titanium rod in my femur, external brace on my ankle/foot, heel reattached, toe back in place. I've been home for about 2 weeks now, physically I'm doing better but wont ever be the same again, and a bucket load of prescription grade phsycological issues to try to deal with.
The point of posting all this is #1 everyone be careful, #2 anyone who's been through a severe accident like this, how did you deal with the mental issues? As for riding, my night train was totaled, I've decided to ride again but its going to be on a trike, my 2 wheel days are over...

Ryan

Last edited by STG246; 09-14-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 PM
TammyStar
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear you are healing. Sorry to hear about the bike. No advice but just take it one day at a time. Hope others here can help you through the mental part.
Take care

Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

Don't rush into anything, heal all your wounds and the road will be ready when you are

Old 09-08-2012, 12:06 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

take it easy and heal up soon

Old 09-08-2012, 12:12 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

May 4th, 2012... Too close to home! Glad you're OK. Took 2 months for me to walk on my own. My Street Glide and the teenage texter's car was totalled. Ask for meds, and more meds, no shame in it. Follow the doc's instructions... Get well, bro!

8 broken bones in all... My permanent titanium bling!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:24 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

take care, heal and in my opinion have a lawyer nail her *** to a cross

Old 09-08-2012, 12:30 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

The hardest part for me was the hospital stay - 6 weeks in traction during the summer. The second hardest thing was the food. Between the pain meds and the sh*t food I damn near starved. I was told I would never walk without a cane. That very winter I was skiing. Don't let yourself believe you won't be yourself again. Unless you're missing parts, it sounds like you can have a full recovery. What psychological issues are you having?

Old 09-08-2012, 12:39 PM
rottnutz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeez. I'm just flat out amazed that someone would stop on an interstate.

Take it a day at a time. Hope you heal up soon.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:46 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Time, time, and time. It's the hardest part to deal with cause it's slow, feels like it will never end and gives you lots of opportunities to dwell on the bad stuff, but it heals the most.

Add physical therapy, meds, maybe a nice therapist. All good things, but time does the heavy lifting so don't rush or judge yourself/condition too quickly.

Old 09-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Dockrat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG!!!! Sue her a$$ Get well soon. I have had some close calls but never that close thank gawd. Had both legs in casts at the same time for about 4 months but it wasn't a biking accident, a sailing accident if ya can believe that. And yeah, ain't hospital food gross?

Quick Reply: Went down hard...