General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper cornering on a bike...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 12:15 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Proper cornering on a bike...

What do you consider proper cornering. As I am teaching my wife to ride, I am also trying to teach her to corner properly so she doesn't ahve to unlearn as I did. Come into the corner on the outside and turn across the apex...I haven't read the Keith Code book, but I think this si the proper terminology. New riders tend to wat to hug the inside of the corner which could make it quite easy to run out road on the wrong kind of turn. I know I have had several situations like this at relativly high rates of speed, and they never ended well. I am posting this in response to some members complaints about the "do you lick your own butt or smell it?" psots. I feel you. You must be pretty darn bored.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:28 AM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Proper cornering on a bike...

Yeah, I think I remember that from the MSF class. I would love to take that Keith Code course. The basics of countersteering and looking through the turn are just as important. Slow down a little before the turn, gently roll on the throttle through the turn. I don't really ever go through turns fast enough for fancy cornering techniques to make any difference- I've only dragged a heel once or twice on the Deuce. I think if your wife gets the basics down she'll be fine for general cruising purposes.

I think new riders tend to stare at the side of the road in a turn, especially if they get into it a little hotter than expected. Looking through the turn will keep her out of the ditch. She probably already knows that though.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:29 AM
Harleypaw
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Order her the ride like a pro video, even if your a really good rider you and her can learn new riding tech together, and you'll be more comfortable after watching her master some of the tech.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:34 AM
coldmcrider
Cruiser

The proper way to corner on a bike is fairly straight forward. There are four steps:
1) Slow before you get to the corner. Slow to a speed that will allow the throttle to be gently rolled on through the turn
2) Look as far into the corner as possible. Try to look all the way through the exit. If it is a really long corner andyou can't see the exit, look as far ahead as you can to the vanishing point.
3) Lean the bike into the turn. The best way to do this is by counter steeering. Slightly press forward on the handle bar in the direction you want to go. Press right, lean right, go right.
4) Roll on the throttle through out the entire corner. This stablizes the bike and makes it handle properly.

The path of travel through a corner should start to the outside, apex near the center and exit to the outside.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Speedkingnick
Road Warrior

Go to the HD dealer and sign her up for the Riders Edge course. Definately a must.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:37 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay into lane and always go into a position that you can be seen. As you know, the art of riding a bike is to be seen. Observe and make eye contact with all drivers in a intersection and always ride defensive. A short note. Never ever focus at a point.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:42 AM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[sm=exactly.gif]
ORIGINAL: coldmcrider

The proper way to corner on a bike is fairly straight forward. There are four steps:
1) Slow before you get to the corner. Slow to a speed that will allow the throttle to be gently rolled on through the turn
2) Look as far into the corner as possible. Try to look all the way through the exit. If it is a really long corner andyou can't see the exit, look as far ahead as you can to the vanishing point.
3) Lean the bike into the turn. The best way to do this is by counter steeering. Slightly press forward on the handle bar in the direction you want to go. Press right, lean right, go right.
4) Roll on the throttle through out the entire corner. This stablizes the bike and makes it handle properly.

The path of travel through a corner should start to the outside, apex near the center and exit to the outside.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:44 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rode Like a Pro video is really good and worth the $$$. You will learn something new. And as a new rider Scootergrrrl will learn a lot.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:58 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get her into a MSF riding course . They'll put her on a smaller bike and teach her how to lean instead of steer through a curve/corner. The smaller bike normally has a faster learning curve and the confidence will build faster. A Sporster is a tougher Bike to ride than most people will admit!

Old 01-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Annibus, I wouldurge patience on your part. If the 2 of you go riding keep the speed down especially in the turns. She maydecide to stay at your speed and get into a turn a little over her ability. There is nothing like knowing "I'm not going to make this corner".The MSF is a big help but, she will also needlots of saddletime. We all did.I kept my wife on unpopulated back roads for a long time providing her with plenty of time to getcomfortable with the bike. Sorry for the sermon.

Quick Reply: Proper cornering on a bike...