General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper cornering on a bike...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:49 PM
mikec
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Proper cornering on a bike...

Not intending to sound like a wise ***.......but didn't everyone ride
bicycles when they were kids. It's exactly the same thing. My step
kid got on a Ninja and damm near got killed on the first turn. I know
he rode a bike his whole like. I just don't get it.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Better make damn sure you get OFF that front brake before you getINTO the turn. As you lean the bike, the contact patch of the tires get smaller, smaller Contact Patch, less brake it takes to skid the tire, skid the tire in a turn and yer *** is on the Pavement. brake hard going in,, Off the brake once into the curve or turn, on the throttle, hard out of the turn or corner.
ORIGINAL: Ratbasturd

For new riders they need to be taught that on a bike you can use the front break (on dry pavement) as you go into a curve, it feels scary it's hard to get used to but could save your life if you come up on a curve to fast.

Another tip and something I really like about Harleys:

If you start to drift a little wide you can just hold the lean angle and roll the throttle and it has enough torque to pull you back into the line, and its fun.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Aces N Eights

A friend of mine lost his wife by trying to teach her too much too fast. He had been riding for years and she was like ScooterGrrrl, just starting out. He built her confidence too quick without her competence and one day they were riding together and she accelerated and left him going into a corner, when he rounded the corner she was down. He was a paramedic and she never regained consciousness.
My advice, take it at her pace, let her set expectations and never push her beyond what she is confortable with. Challenge her but never push.
As a LE defensive driving instructor, the term you are describing is called late apexing. Enter early and accelerate late. Close to the outside line upon entry and close to the inside line upon exit; this gives you the opportunity to adjust and miss unexpected objects while having more control.

Hope this helps,