Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper cornering on a bike...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Proper cornering on a bike...

My dealer tells me there is some sort of refund from Harley if you take the class and submit your certificate.

What your dealer is talking about is a HOG program called called Safe Rider Skills. Your local Dealer/HOG Chapter will have the paperwork. You will receive a coupon for up to $50 that you can use for HOG membership renewal, or HOG or HD merchandise.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:41 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: went_postal

ORIGINAL: traveler

I'm confused here....why not just have her go through the MSF course? You get a break on insurance in some cases, and it's a more through learning process than just "winging it".

Confused.....

joe
[&:]
I could have sworn ScooterGrrl already took the class... I think the question was more for Anubiss so that he doesn't try to teach her something else. I could be wrong though.

The best thing I could tell you about riding or turning... Don't get target fixation. People usually want to look at something they want to avoid... That is BAD... Do not look at the spot on the road you don't want to hit... look elsewhere. This is part of the turning thing because I have found I have better success in making sharp turns by making sure I actually move my head and not just my eyes to where I want the bike to go.

And I never noticed if I counter steer in normal turns or not... I typically just think about where I want the bike to go and it gets there. Guess I should think about it more. =)

Just my $0.02.
She did already take the class. But I think bikers need to continually educate themselves, personally. Good call on the question, Anubiss.

Coldmcrider has it figured out. That's word-for-word from the MSF themselves. But here's something to help. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so Scootergrrl should practice not taking turns so tightly. The apex technique Anubisss talked about explains the actual riding line the rider makes through the turn. Using the SLOW technique with that in mind will eventually make turns really really easy and natural.

Postal, Dallas and Jeffery all made great points about target fixation. I learned to look through turns when I went to a race-driving sample school held over at FSU several years ago by Mercedes and some automotive magazine. Just like I heard at the Rider's Edge course, they taught us to look through the turns, not looking at the ground right in front of us but looking ahead and around, almost using peripheral vision to keep the cage in the lane. Helped my driving skills tremendously, and after spending four straight days on that Dyna Low Rider in Orlando over Christmas, I found myself using a lot of the same visual and driving line techniques I learned from Rider's Edge in my wife's car and my truck! Motorcycling has made my cage-driving better, which probably explains why Tallahassee traffic has been pissing me off lately... people suck at driving. Not like that's a news flash to any of us here...

Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I down shift, a short distance, before entering a curve,to keep my RPMsup, for better control.
I hardly ever take street corners aggressively. There are too many intersections thathave oil, sand, etc. on the pavement.
Tom

Old 01-23-2007, 11:54 AM
Ratbasturd
Road Master

I would say it depends on if you are talking solo riding or group riding.

When solo on a RH curve I set up in the left side of the lane find the proper gear, as I enter the curve I am off the throttle, once into it I slowly shift to the right side of the lane cutting off some of the radius at the apex I do the reverse except once at the apex I am hard on the throttle the and pushing out of the curve.

When in a group I we ride staggered so after I find my spot I ride like I am in a bicycle lane. When I go through a curve I do it the same as above I just adjust for less maneuvering room.

For new riders they need to be taught that on a bike you can use the front break (on dry pavement) as you go into a curve, it feels scary it's hard to get used to but could save your life if you come up on a curve to fast.

Another tip and something I really like about Harleys:

If you start to drift a little wide you can just hold the lean angle and roll the throttle and it has enough torque to pull you back into the line, and its fun.

Old 01-23-2007, 05:08 PM
hughtwg
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

I let the bike lean under me while I counter by hanging in the opposite direction. I makes for a much deeper lean and more control.
That sounds like the opposite of what you should be doing. You should lean you body into the turn so that the bike has to lean less.

-Hugh

Old 01-23-2007, 05:12 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I learned to take curves properly on crotch rockets, after I target fixated on a guard rail and smaked right into it. I ahve never ridden on a race track, but we have a lot of very windy empty roads in the santa monica mountains. I also agree, trail brake into to corner, look through the turn as far as you can, and accelerate smoothly out of it. Every time I go out to the windy roads I am shocked to see how many people have no idea how to take turns on a bike. The other thing is never push yourself beyond your ability or what you feel cmfortable with...IMO

Old 01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
jbt
Tourer

For teaching cornering, I'd say don't concentrate too much, verbally, on the whole countersteering thing. If one can turn the motorcycle at over 20 mph, one IS countersteering. There is no other way to physically turn a bike at speed. For me, during MSF, I was really confused hearing about it. After a while, I figured out I'd been doing it my whole life on bicycles, which operate on the same principles.

Already brought up is target fixation. LOOK WHERE YOU WANT TO GO. Do NOT look at anything you want to avoid! You want to turn your head and look into the turn, with your eyes on the line you want to follow.

In my opinion, street riding demands a different technique than track. There was a post above (with great info) that said, basically, go wide, cut the apex, and exit wide. This is a racing technique that 'straightens' the turn. On the street, it is safer to go in wide, hold that, and apex late, so that you exit the turn to the inside. This helps a lot in keeping you in your lane. I treat the center line as a brick wall, and (try to) never cross it.

On the whole, I ride more like a sport biker, and love to take 35 mph twisty roads at 60-70. Many times, I'll slow drastically before a turn, as I have NO way of knowing who, or what, is comingthe other way, or if Bambi is there, or...

Take your n00bie out on some gently twisting roads, let her find a comfortable speed, then trade off the lead. Let her watch you, then watch her for technique. Just doing it, with no pressure, will be a great experience, and she'll learn what works, and what doesn't.

Disclaimer! The above is my opinion! I am not an expert! Nothing I say can be used against you! Consult a doctor before using! Side effects may include rolling of eyes, shaking of head, or upset stomach! Names were changed to protect the guilty!

Old 01-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Bug
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jbt

Disclaimer! The above is my opinion! I am not an expert! Nothing I say can be used against you! Consult a doctor before using! Side effects may include rolling of eyes, shaking of head, or upset stomach! Names were changed to protect the guilty!
And don't forget:

+-----> You must be this tall to ride this ride.
|
|
|
|
|
|

Old 01-23-2007, 08:37 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I learned to take curves properly on crotch rockets, after I target fixated on a guard rail and smaked right into it. I ahve never ridden on a race track, but we have a lot of very windy empty roads in the santa monica mountains. I also agree, trail brake into to corner, look through the turn as far as you can, and accelerate smoothly out of it. Every time I go out to the windy roads I am shocked to see how many people have no idea how to take turns on a bike. The other thing is never push yourself beyond your ability or what you feel cmfortable with...IMO
anubisss"[font="times new roman"][size=3][color=#400040]
"I learned to take curves properly on crotch rockets, after I target fixated on a guard rail and smaked right into it. I ahve never ridden on a race track., but we have a lot of very windy empty roads in the santa monica mountains. I also agree, trail brake into to corner, look through the turn as far as you can, and accelerate smoothly out of it. Every time I go out to the windy roads I am shocked to see how many people have no idea how to take turns on a bike. The other thing is never push yourself beyond your ability or what you feel cmfortable with...IMO "

Sound advice !
So you ride the hills, does she realize that going down a hill how to hit the brakes ? make sure she uses the front brake a little more than the rear, lots of riders use the engine braking to slow down, that only applies to the rear wheel, ok on straight level roads but add a down hill, the bike is loaded up with weight on the front tire (more traction) less weight on the rear tire (less traction) so if more rear brake is used (most do) the rear tire loses traction and slides out and the bike with it, get her use to using the front brake a little more.
As for cornering, first thing is does she know the bike will not slip, slide out while making a turn (if everything is done right) ? lots of newbees think about this, they yet don’t have the "feel" this is very important this is where most screw up, touching the brakes in a turn ! that lowers the clearance of the bike as will "letting off the gas" she must know this right off, lets go right turn, the worst, it’s your lowest side (exhaust : ) tell her she must slow down (straight-up) before entering the start of the turn (at the same time taking a look (mirror) behind her, traffic) tell her that is the approach, then the entry, apex (tightest part of the bend) and out.
[left][color=#0000cc]You know and got some good advice on this from others, look ahead always as far as one can see beyond the turn, (don’t rely on the trees, poles, bending to tell the truth about the bend ahead, sometimes they lie) ok, she is headed to a right turn, she is in the left part of her lane, as she come up to the point of the start of the lean, start to countersteer, by this a little downward pressure on the grip (not a lot her body will help a bit) if she isn’t making a smooth lean into it (don’t leave off the gas !) little more downward, if necessary, a little up pressure on the left grip for more lean, keep looking "where she wants to go" she on the gas steady not increasing it (she must not ease off the gas), this will lower the bike, at the apex (corner) get ready for twisting on bit more power (not much) at the almost end of the apex (just coming out) roll on it a bit more while heading to the (inside) left part of her lan

Old 01-23-2007, 08:42 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Cj, she HAS taken the MSF. I thought she would learn this there, but I guess it is just enough that they learn how to start and stop the bike in 10 hours. I'll check out those books. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Proper cornering on a bike...