Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper cornering on a bike...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:03 AM
mdewberry
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Proper cornering on a bike...

I suggest the MSF course. Well worth the money and a true insurance saver. I took it and I am currently enrolled to take the Advanced riders course. I have seen people take the course that didnt even know where the gas tank was, and experienced riders of 20years take the basic and the newbies actually preformed better than the exper. rider. See if they have a couple special, some dealers offer specials around the winter time. My advanced course is $50.00 and H.O.G will give me a $50.00 gift certificate, so zero dollars.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:04 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put her behind you on her own bike. Let her get the feel of things. Books and videos are one thing but safe seat time (experience) may be the best teacher.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:52 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I let the bike lean under me while I counter by hanging in the opposite direction. I makes for a much deeper lean and more control.

Old 01-23-2007, 07:50 AM
Queen of the Hill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pick up a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough. Excellent book and contains a ton of easy-to-understand information on cornering -- what to do, not to do, and why. Highly recommended, as are his other books, "More Proficient Motorcycling" and "Street Strategies."

Old 01-23-2007, 09:14 AM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm confused here....why not just have her go through the MSF course? You get a break on insurance in some cases, and it's a more through learning process than just "winging it".

Confused.....

joe
[&:]

Old 01-23-2007, 09:43 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't run out of pavement. If you think you hit it too fast and the adrenaline starts pulsating, push down on the lower bar.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:20 AM
RandyM1911
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DenimStreet

I let the bike lean under me while I counter by hanging in the opposite direction. I makes for a much deeper lean and more control.
Huh?

Old 01-23-2007, 10:24 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: traveler

I'm confused here....why not just have her go through the MSF course? You get a break on insurance in some cases, and it's a more through learning process than just "winging it".

Confused.....

joe
[&:]
I could have sworn ScooterGrrl already took the class... I think the question was more for Anubiss so that he doesn't try to teach her something else. I could be wrong though.

The best thing I could tell you about riding or turning... Don't get target fixation. People usually want to look at something they want to avoid... That is BAD... Do not look at the spot on the road you don't want to hit... look elsewhere. This is part of the turning thing because I have found I have better success in making sharp turns by making sure I actually move my head and not just my eyes to where I want the bike to go.

And I never noticed if I counter steer in normal turns or not... I typically just think about where I want the bike to go and it gets there. Guess I should think about it more. =)

Just my $0.02.

Old 01-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Sinkinfast
Tourer

My dealer tells me there is some sort of refund from Harley if you take the class and submit your certificate. I think they said you would get a $50 Harley gift card.
I can try to get more details if desired. Maybe someone else has done this

Old 01-23-2007, 11:25 AM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Queen of the Hill

Pick up a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough. Excellent book and contains a ton of easy-to-understand information on cornering -- what to do, not to do, and why. Highly recommended, as are his other books, "More Proficient Motorcycling" and "Street Strategies."
Two great books.Hough explains countersteering very well.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/162D9DF6B97442898BE5E83889B33E0E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Proper cornering on a bike...