General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers in Tn,AL, Ms.. any experience with dealers in these states?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:38 PM
PktChg
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tend to like like Riders better than Heart. They are both owned by the same guy, but the entire staff at Riders seems to be more open and willing to talk, help, etc.

Old 09-05-2012, 04:55 PM
camden
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought my 2012 Nightster from Bumpus Memphis on Whitten Road in July.

Here's my two cents.

The MSF training folks were awesome, but I don't think they actually worked for Bumpus.

The sales staff was nice enough, but I really felt like they were just pretending to relate to me to make the sale. Typical slimy sales tactics and not at all surprising to me.

The finance folks were super nice, and rightfully so... I had just agreed to buy a bike from them.

I've only had a couple of encounters with the service staff so far. I've had no issues yet. My bike is due in for its first service soon, so I can't give you a long term opinion.

I've dealt with the parts guys the most since I'm still customizing my bike to my liking. There's one guy that's helpful, but doesn't seem like he enjoys interfacing with the public. Everyone else I've dealt with has been friendly and knowledgeable.

I think that just leaves the motorclothes folks. The girls are nice, but I get the impression their boss is a stick in the mud.

There ya go. I've only been dealing with them for a couple of months so take it for what its worth.

Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
Southern Thunder wil probably offer the best deal. They are a Rossmeyer dealership and will deal with you. The last two HD's I've bought I got from ST. IMO they are one of the best dealers I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with. I've also dealt with Bumpus but be prepared to pay at least MSRP.
I've heard similar things about Southern Thunder.

I paid MSRP at Bumpus after negotiations. Sadly, I wasn't able to get anything other than 15% off accessories and installation thrown into the deal. Wish I had heard all the good things about Southern Thunder before I bought from Bumpus. Things could have potentially turned out a bit better. Oh well, I'm riding a Harley and that's really all that matters.

Last edited by camden; 09-05-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
rebelpiper
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ldman
Thanks for the Info and replies guys.. rebelpiper, I'll take you up on the Hooters and beer invite if I make it your way.

Dave
seriously, anytime. just let me know. i bet we could get a few bham folks to show up for a meet n greet.

Old 09-06-2012, 03:25 AM
ewalker302
Advanced

I live i south MS....bought my bike in new orleans.

I've heard nothing but good things about the meridian (chunky river) dealership.

I've been in both dealerships in Jackson.......my advice stay away had bad experiences in both....the cocky, inept, apathetic staff at the Jackson locations turned me off from them quick.

I Dont have personal experience with the meridian dealership, but have heard nothing but good things. I know a couple guys that ride past two closer dealers to shop at chunky river.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Spowell928
Advanced

Don't waste your time trying to deal with Rocket HD . Way higher than any dealership around. Service charges are off the chart. Most. Folks around here go to Nashville. Cool Springs or Boswells.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:50 AM
Hoarse
Intermediate

I know it's not on the list but Abernathy in Union City TN will 90% of the time beat anyone's price. I have traded with them 4 times because of this. They will bargain with you and they got a pretty good service department.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoarse
I know it's not on the list but Abernathy in Union City TN will 90% of the time beat anyone's price. I have traded with them 4 times because of this. They will bargain with you and they got a pretty good service department.

To the OP. Bumpus (is in Jackson TN not MS) offered a pretty fair deal on a bike to me and I drive a pretty hard deal. I ended up getting the same deal in town at the shop 3 miles down the road so it saved me a trip.

I talked to Abernathy when I bought my Street Glide. I don't call no fees that they advertise a good deal cause I ain't paying that crap no matter where I get the bike from. They wouldn't give on MSRP one bit. Bumpus in Jackson and Appletons killed them like you read about. Ended up getting the bike here in town from Appletons cause Bumpus wouldn't budge on the late $300 to make it worth the trip down there.

Last edited by craigffb; 03-27-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:00 AM
jgreth
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is over 6 months old but figured I'd chime in anyways...

I bought my Road King from Bumpus in Collierville.

They came in under MSRP and gave me a good trade-in value on my old bike.

The staff was pretty awesome. No complaints at all.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 PM
jlfabian
Tourer

Rocket H-D quoted me $375.00 to put a new rear tire on my Road King. Said they could have it back to me in an hour. This was for a black wall D402. I declined.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:40 PM
zoom-zoom
Advanced

I have bought bikes from Riders and just got one from Heart of Dixie. Both places treated me right.

Quick Reply: Dealers in Tn,AL, Ms.. any experience with dealers in these states?