General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strobes In FRONT.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 12:29 AM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Received 18,557 Likes on 10,762 Posts
Question Strobes In FRONT.

MANY accidents happen at intersections with head on or near head on collissions happen just to hear the cager say "I did not see the biker." or such.

Two days after a friend commented how scared he is about the above, I almost bought the farm when I was STOPPED BEHIND the Stop Line and a female in an SUV (not on any cell phone that I could see) was traveling RIGHT to LEFT infront of me and then left into MY lane.

Instead of turning into HER lane she was turning in MY lane 100%!!! Not just cutting the corner a little but without exaggeration 100% in my F'ing lane.

If I went forward to get out of her way, we would probably collide since there wasn't time to get out far enough and if she were to correct her error, it would be a T-Bone hit. I could not do anything else so I hit my horn and sat there in HOPES the a-hole cager would SEEM ME and swerve away form hitting me. As luck would have it, she did a major swerve and missed me by maybe 5'-6'. <-- Hard to really tell the distance.

Point is, for THIS type of accident OR the more common one when the on coming car turns left hitting u as u go thru the intersection, wouldn't it be a GOOD IDEA to have a STROBE light that flashes so u can be SEEN????

Ok, if it is white or green (NOT Blue or RED) it should be ok? Tow trucks have amber or green. So it is not illegal I would guess.

At night time the white may be too bright so maybe green is better?? At night green may look like blue but still acceptable since it is technically green.

I am going to locate a strobe place to see abt installing green front strobes. Hopefully I can hit a switch and have it flash for 3, 4, or 5 seconds.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance,

BuzzCap7

Old 09-02-2012, 12:46 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Really?? How are you going to hit a different switch and the horn button in a panic? And if they don't see you, you are in their blind spot. They might see the flashing at night, but they'll never see it during the day. And if you turn on strobes just to warn people as you approach an intersection, you will be in court some day. But as a defendant. If you really are that spastic about it, get one of those pulsating headlights that most people hate. At least they are legal in most States. And I don't care of you get green, pink, or fuscia. You start flashing strobes, you will get pulled over.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:56 AM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Flashing lights other than those installed as original equipment are strictly legislated by state statute. You cannot simply decide to install flashing white or green lights without either being covered by one of the permitted agencies or by having a special permit. For example Florida statute says: "Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway..."

But beyond all this, like DannyZ said, do you seriously intend to install and activate strobes every time you approach an intersection? C'mon, really? Who in his right mind is gonna do that? You'd draw attention alright, but not the kind you want.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:35 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Headlight Modulator is Legal in all States

Headlight Modulator Federal Law
S7.9.4 Motorcycle headlamp modulation system
S7.9.4.1 A headlamp on a motorcycle may be wired to modulate either the upper beam or the lower beam from its maximum intensity to a lesser intensity provided that:
(a) The rate of modulation shall be 240 plus-or-minus 40 cycles per minute.
(b) The headlamp shall be operated at maximum power for 50 to 70 percent of each cycle.
(c) The lowest intensity at any test point shall not be less than 17 percent of the maximum intensity measured at the same point.
(d) The modulator switch shall be wired in the power lead of the beam filament being modulated and not in the ground side of the circuit.
(e) Means shall be provided so that both the lower beam and upper beam remain operable in the event of a modulator failure.
(f) The system shall include a sensor mounted with the axis of its sensing element perpendicular to a horizontal plane. Headlamp modulation shall cease whenever the level of light emitted by a tungsten filament light operating at 3000 degrees Kelvin is either less than 270 lux (25 foot-candles) of direct light for upward pointing sensors or less than 60 lux (5.6 foot-candles) of reflected light for downward pointing sensors. This light is measured by a silicon cell type light meter that is located at the sensor and pointing in the same direction as the sensor. A Kodak Gray Card (Kodak R-27) is placed at ground level to simulate the road surface in testing downward pointing sensors.
(g) When tested in accordance with the test profile shown in Figure 9, the voltage drop across the modulator when the lamp is on at all test conditions for 12 volt systems and 6 volt systems shall not be greater than .45 volt. The modulator shall meet all of the provisions of the standard after completion of the test profile shown in Figure 9.
(h) Means shall be provided so that both the lower and upper beam function at design voltage when the headlamp control switch is in either the lower or upper beam position when the modulator is off.
S7.9.4.2
(a) Each motorcycle headlamp modulator not intended as original equipment, or its container, shall be labeled with the maximum wattage, and the minimum wattage appropriate for its use. Additionally, each such modulator shall comply with S7.9.4.1 (a) through (g) when connected to a headlamp of the maximum rated power and a headlamp of the minimum rated power, and shall provide means so that the modulated beam functions at design voltage when the modulator is off.
(b) Instructions, with a diagram, shall be provided for mounting the light sensor including location on the motorcycle, distance above the road surface, and orientation with respect to the light.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CSP067
Flashing lights other than those installed as original equipment are strictly legislated by state statute. You cannot simply decide to install flashing white or green lights without either being covered by one of the permitted agencies or by having a special permit. For example Florida statute says: "Flashing lights are prohibited on vehicles except as a means of indicating a right or left turn, to change lanes, or to indicate that the vehicle is lawfully stopped or disabled upon the highway..."

But beyond all this, like DannyZ said, do you seriously intend to install and activate strobes every time you approach an intersection? C'mon, really? Who in his right mind is gonna do that? You'd draw attention alright, but not the kind you want.
It's dark on my morning commutes to work and every single day I see many bicycles with a strobe flashing as they come towards me. You sure as hell see them and it's not a blinding light either.

So why can't a motorcycle have a similar thing? Even a small strobe just used at intersections would be a big help to avoid 'not being seen'.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 AM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't make these laws. Bicycles are not defined as vehicles, and I believe those lights flash to the rear. In most states, the definition looks something like this:

A "vehicle" is a device by which any person or property may be propelled,
moved, or drawn upon a highway, excepting a device moved exclusively
by human power
or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:58 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,068 Likes on 12,184 Posts

Buzz - you sure make easy things complicated. Bandana attachment issues....now this.

This has been around for years and years. Can we make this a thread closer? -
http://www.headlightmodulator.com/

Old 09-02-2012, 10:13 AM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I didn't read the whole thread, but I do know
that running strobes of Any in WV except orange needs to be cleared thru state Fire, police and EMS services
In other words....money to the state gooberment, to protect civilians

Ive a permit for all my vehicles, but after this surgery I'm sending them back........Permanently disabled

Old 09-02-2012, 10:35 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,843 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Left turners and intersections are the most intimidating part of riding for me. I default back to the advice we were given in the MSF class and ride like they don't see me. I ride in the left part of the lane or where I think someone can se me the earliest. I cover the horn button and brake when I apporach the intersections. People may think this is overkill but if someone waiting to turn so much as twitches, I will blast the horn--even if someone looks like they want to twitch. I don't care if it looks silly. That's what I do.

I got fog lights on my engine guards for more visibility but I don't think it will help for the left turners. I also was thinking it might be good to hit the brights before going through an intersections. Then I realized this might not be a good idea. Flashing the brights is often seen as a universal sign yielding to another driver. It may get the attention of the driver waiting to turn. But they might think, "hey, this guy is telling me to go ahead." ---Smack.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 AM
torchman
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by firefighter616
I didn't read the whole thread, but I do know
that running strobes of Any in WV except orange needs to be cleared thru state Fire, police and EMS services
In other words....money to the state gooberment, to protect civilians

Ive a permit for all my vehicles, but after this surgery I'm sending them back........Permanently disabled
Sorry to hear that FF.

Quick Reply: Strobes In FRONT.