General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason not to buy a rebuilt '56 panhead chopper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012 | 11:00 PM
jacknthebox
|
Road Captain
Default Any reason not to buy a rebuilt '56 panhead chopper?

My search is a few months premature, but my road king is almost paid up and I plan on buying a second bike when it is.

In my search (dreaming), I found a mint condition rebuilt - show quality '56 panhead chopper that looks very cool. I never thought about a bike like that but now that I see it, I love the idea of it - BUT now I wonder what it takes to own that in terms of maintenance and finding parts, etc.?

Thoughts?

Old 09-01-2012 | 11:08 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

how much? The non-chopped are worth more but it comes down to individual taste and what you plan on doing with the bike. Do NOT expect it to be as easy to maintain as your RK!

Old 09-01-2012 | 11:11 PM
jacknthebox
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by davessworks
how much? The non-chopped are worth more but it comes down to individual taste and what you plan on doing with the bike. Do NOT expect it to be as easy to maintain as your RK!
The asking price is 12,900 - no idea if that's even close to what it should go for. Here is a pic though:
I probably should find someone who knows how to work on it before considering something like this.

Last edited by jacknthebox; 09-01-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2012 | 11:18 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Hard to say what is or isn't a good deal quite honestly. Looks like a nice bike tho'.

Old 09-01-2012 | 11:27 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member

the only extra maintenance you are going to have is dealing with the points. judging by the bike,it is a good bet it has electronic ignition, so that isn't even going to be an issue... the price sounds on the high side of normal for a nice custom build. the only thing that looks like panhead, is the motor and trans. they look like they are rebuilt and mostly new.. shouldn't be much different then riding an evo chopper except for kick starting. do you know if the engine is a rebuild original, or a repop S&S or something?

Old 09-01-2012 | 11:36 PM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member

devils advocate here------------------------If you are a rookie so to speak with this kind of bike I would discourage it the way this one sets-----------open primaries are cool until the belt grabs your pant leg taking it behind you then kicking it towards the asphalt .I have seen guys go down because of this.

second thing is I don't understand why guys build stuff with a old style engine and a fat back tire-----------------------this engine repro or not would be way cooler in a indian larry style frame and bobber look with a regular width tire

Old 09-01-2012 | 11:46 PM
jacknthebox
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by j1mmy
the only extra maintenance you are going to have is dealing with the points. judging by the bike,it is a good bet it has electronic ignition, so that isn't even going to be an issue... the price sounds on the high side of normal for a nice custom build. the only thing that looks like panhead, is the motor and trans. they look like they are rebuilt and mostly new.. shouldn't be much different then riding an evo chopper except for kick starting. do you know if the engine is a rebuild original, or a repop S&S or something?
Thanks for the info jimmy - the ad doesn't say anything about the engine rebuild except it reads this way: Professional rebuilt 1956 Harley-Davidson Panhead, w/show quality custom chopper build.

Originally Posted by 3408pete
devils advocate here------------------------If you are a rookie so to speak with this kind of bike I would discourage it the way this one sets-----------open primaries are cool until the belt grabs your pant leg taking it behind you then kicking it towards the asphalt .I have seen guys go down because of this.
Yep, I've never ridden a chopper before but have always wanted one (my dads buddy had one growing up - the longest front end I've seen!) - anyways, thanks, the potential danger of the open primary is something to consider for sure.

Old 09-01-2012 | 11:57 PM
rrsjs5
Road Captain

I have a 49 pan hardtail,springer front.i've owned since 1973.If you dont enjoy wrenchin I'd stay away.this was my first hharley.I'll own it till i die!!

Old 09-01-2012 | 11:57 PM
Mark_H
Road Master

Originally Posted by 3408pete
If your going to play devil's advocate so will I. I have been hearing this same story about open primaries for years and years. A friend of my cousins brothers sisters aunt knows a guy that got his pants stuck in an open primary and ripped him off the bike...yada, yada, yada. Amazingly enough, I have had at least one bike with an open primary since 1979 and it haven't got anything caught in one yet. Aside of hearing all the fantastic stories of how this always happens to someone that somebody else knows, Amazingly enough I have never met someone that had it happen to them.

Now, I'm not saying it could never happen but I could get hit by lightning too....

IMO open primaries look cool!

To the OP...I do think that bike is over priced.

Old 09-02-2012 | 12:04 AM
3408pete
Ultimate HDF Member

I have seen it but there were other issues at hand one was the amount of adult beverage that was consumed and second was the fact he also had another bike with mid mount controls.I don't know if one or the other made the difference that day but he was going slow enough he just looked foolish and messed up a tank

I have had them as well but always wore leathers that were tight at the ankle so I didn't worry

Quick Reply: Any reason not to buy a rebuilt '56 panhead chopper?