General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason not to buy a rebuilt '56 panhead chopper?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012 | 09:50 AM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by mkguitar
OP, 1956 ?

what is 1956 about that bike ?

not the frame or any part of the chassis...I can see that parts of the motor are not 1956... so are the cases bearing a 56FL number?

and is the number real or bashed on there with a set of stamps

It may be a good runner, but I see "panhead" type bikes for more like 4 to 7 grand in my local craigslist.

The original bikes ( like mine shown above) have an extremely high value as they are only "original once". Factory paint, non cut frame, original trim etc. looking at 40 to 70 K for an original paint bike- and more for the rare finishes.

If you own a knuck, pan, shovel, you gotta be ready to wrench- that is just the nature of the beast and it is not just making it start, it is about making it safe so you don't die.

open primary ? saw a guy pull into the rock store and a pebble bounced up into his primary and munched his belt.

I'm not man enough for stuff like that.

Mike
What this cat said.

S&S makes an awesome 93" Panhead motor I've seen on some custom bikes, for under 10 grand. I'm still kicking myself in the *** for not buying a Bobber last year with practically NO miles with a sweet S&S Pan in it. Sold for around $9,000, and that was a great deal on a practically new bike. Hell, S&S sells the motor alone for close to that....

Old 09-02-2012 | 10:21 AM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member

there's an expression for knucks/pans/shovels

"ride and hour, wrench and hour"

if you don't wrench your own bikes, you'll need deep pockets. Especially on a "home built" rigidframe bike.

As for the open primary...every pair of jeans I own are ripped on the left leg just above the ankle. The belt grabs and pulls...the good news is that the pants rip before yourleg

Old 09-02-2012 | 10:30 AM
Clean
Cruiser

I have a 55 Panhead chopper, and love it. It's just bar hopper, but looks cool.

Old 09-02-2012 | 10:32 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Mark_H
If your going to play devil's advocate so will I. I have been hearing this same story about open primaries for years and years. A friend of my cousins brothers sisters aunt knows a guy that got his pants stuck in an open primary and ripped him off the bike...yada, yada, yada. Amazingly enough, I have had at least one bike with an open primary since 1979 and it haven't got anything caught in one yet. Aside of hearing all the fantastic stories of how this always happens to someone that somebody else knows, Amazingly enough I have never met someone that had it happen to them.

Now, I'm not saying it could never happen but I could get hit by lightning too....

IMO open primaries look cool!

To the OP...I do think that bike is over priced.
Being a guy who has to "See it to believe it" I used to think the same thing until my BDL drive sucked my pantleg into it. Aside from tearing the hell out of the Levi's I had on, it also left a nice black & blue sore ankle. After that I would fold my pantleg against my boot and wrap a small bungee cord around it. I have no desire to have that happen again.

And oddly enough, it wasn't the front pulley that grabbed it. It was the trans pulley. I was inching along at a stop light with my legs down at my sides. When I lifted my foot to put it back on the peg that's when it happened.

Last edited by BikerV; 09-02-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-02-2012 | 12:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by jacknthebox
The asking price is 12,900 - no idea if that's even close to what it should go for. Here is a pic though:
I probably should find someone who knows how to work on it before considering something like this.

Those cheesy friggen pipes would have to go first thing , they'll make doing the regular upkeep or tune up a royal bitch not to mention just don't look right on a righteous pan . Price wise he's about 3 grand high for all the crap I see done there .

Old 09-02-2012 | 12:55 PM
firefighter616
Club Member

that thing would be stripped and ripped 30min inside my garage
Frame and everything else cept for engine and tranny FOR SALE

No matter what I paid for it

Last edited by firefighter616; 09-02-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-02-2012 | 01:17 PM
doer
Grand HDF Member

I could see the appeal of an old school kind of bike with a modern motor, but not a modern looking bike with an old school motor. IMHO

Old 09-02-2012 | 01:56 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by doer
I could see the appeal of an old school kind of bike with a modern motor, but not a modern looking bike with an old school motor. IMHO
Really? There's plenty of old school bikes with old school looking motors, they just aren't original 40 to 60 year old motors. Either way, what ever floats your boat.

Old 09-02-2012 | 02:03 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

A few reasons not to buy.

1) Its a pan head.
2) Rear tire is to wide for anything useful.
3) Rake is a little overboard for any kind of pleasure riding.
4) Who knows what your going to run into/what kind of work has been done to it.

Best to have someone knowledgeable go over it. If its just going to be a bar hopper then its a beauty

Old 09-02-2012 | 02:14 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

The fact you need to look nto finding some one to work on it tells me its the absolute wrong motorcycle for you.

Quick Reply: Any reason not to buy a rebuilt '56 panhead chopper?