General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group riding stop sign question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM
reacher
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by SIDECAR BOB
In Illinois each bike has to come to a complete stop before proceding. There or no exemption for motorcycles
That's what I thought, but I haven't been able to find a reference online to back it up.

I totally understand not stopping as a large group and everyone going (though I see this occasionally). Typically what the people I've ridden with do, at least when it's a rural or low traffic area, is that two guys stop at a time. We ride staggered and at the stop sign the 2nd guy pulls up on the right of the lead guy. They stop and pull away together, with the guy on the left retaking the lead pretty much immediatey upon exiting the intersection. Sounds like that is illegal in IL, though I'm sure as many times as I've done it there must've been a cop in view at some point who didn't care enough to pull us over.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:08 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Two bikes side by side can stop together and proceed through the intersection legally. A third (or third and forth) bike has to pull up to the sign and stop before proceeding through.
At a 4 way stop this can result in other vehicles getting between riders in a group ().
Many drivers realize this and will allow the additional bikes to stay with their group.
Some lead riders realize this and will wait at the stop sign until any other vehicles have passed through.

What I do.
Most of the time I ride alone (no problem)
Some times my wife is along (no problem, we stop and go together)
When we ride with a couple other bikes. I'm usually lead. If I can wait for 1 or two cars and keep the group together I do. If not then it's up to the people at the back. Usually they'll just take their place in traffic. I may slow down to allow a car or two to pass me after.

On a few charity rides organizers wanted us to ride in a pack. I made sure to be at the back of the pack and I hang back. When the rest of the group goes through I stopped hoping to get another vehicle between us and the pack. I also slowed down to allow a car to pass us. And yes this does **** off their tail gunner . One tail gunner weaved between us in our lane and pass three cars in no passing zones just to catch up with the group. At the first stop he approached me telling me that I should stay in the group because of safety.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:12 PM
purpledeuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 642 Likes on 377 Posts

If 10 cars are driving single file and the 1st car stops at the stop sign do you think the other 9 should just breeze through?

Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 PM
reacher
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by purpledeuce
If 10 cars are driving single file and the 1st car stops at the stop sign do you think the other 9 should just breeze through?

There are many laws that are specifically called out as slightly different for motorcycles in some states (i.e. lane splitting, lane sharing, running red lights after stopping, etc).

Old 08-30-2012, 06:41 PM
PosterPerfectPhoto
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty simple really. Stop means stop and that is all there is to it. If you are unable to find any exceptions to this for groups then that means each person must stop at the intersection.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:16 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When we group ride through a stop intersection the appropriate number of bikes will block while the others proceed. Is it legal? ...No

Old 08-30-2012, 07:46 PM
KiloGolf4
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trafficjams
When we group ride through a stop intersection the appropriate number of bikes will block while the others proceed. Is it legal? ...No

Alanis Morissette approves of the irony in this post.

BTW, you realize if another vehicle plowed into the appropriate number of bikes blocking the intersection, that would not be illegal.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:52 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloGolf4
BTW, you realize if another vehicle plowed into the appropriate number of bikes blocking the intersection, that would not be illegal.
Well... hopefully they won't tread on us.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:54 PM
KiloGolf4
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trafficjams
Well... hopefully they won't tread on us.
Touche'

Old 08-31-2012, 01:50 AM
rmw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In Indiana, everyone stops. As far as intersection blocking goes, it is I believe a class C infraction but if there is an accident or injury as a result, it can be charged as a felony.

Quick Reply: Group riding stop sign question.