Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed Around or Normal Practice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Riven02
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screwed Around or Normal Practice

So I bought a used Sportster a little over 2 months ago. I paid cash.

The dealer was handling the title and tags.

Now 2 months later my temp tag is out and i don't have my new tags yet.So I call them and found out that the bike had a lean on it with the original owner. Apparently it was a consignment. So when i paid the dealer they had to pay the original owner So he could pay the bank.

They say that has been done now and they have the title but the original owner still has not signed the title. They had trouble getting hold of him to sign it.

So 2 months after getting this bike, I have no title and no tags.

Is this normal? I have never bought something on consignment before.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:08 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It should NOT be normal if everybody involved knows what they are doing. I worked for an outfit in Minneapolis that sold consignment bikes, and this scenario would have been totally unacceptable. WAY to many things are wrong here. We stopped accepting bikes without a clear title after this kinda thing happend a few times.
Am I to understand they didn't tell you it was on consignment and they didn't hold a clear title? If so, that too is way wrong if not illegal.
Good luck getting this mess straightened out.

Last edited by TXSwede; 08-27-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:55 PM
Riven02
Cruiser

I had no idea it was a consignment or that it had a lean against it. I did not ask. To be honest it never even occurred to me since i was buying from a dealer.

So now they tell me they will send me another temp tag, but this whole thing seems wrong. I have had a bike for 2 months that I don't own.

I am not sure where to go from here. They tell me they are trying to get hold of the original owner. After that they are going to mail me the title to sign. I have to the mail it back. After all of that they are going to send for tags. It sounds to me like I am another 2 months from getting my tags.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:01 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Make then give you a new dealer plate every month.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:15 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

if the dealer is selling the bike, and paying it off, they are supposed to have a power of attorney too. the dealer is pulling something.. they may have the best of intentions, but they are doing it illegally. if they cant come up with a title, they have to give you all of your money back because they sold a bike that they didn't own. now that it is paid for, the original owner can decide he wants the bike back..

you said that they will send you the title to sign, they should have a power of attorney for you also to do the title work them self..

this dealer sounds like it doesn't have a clue how to run the business, would be shocked if they are around much longer.

Last edited by j1mmy; 08-27-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Iron Butt Springer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There floating money and scamming you... Demand title in lieu or refund asap...

Old 08-27-2012, 09:40 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,148 Likes on 1,261 Posts

There were some AG business's pulling that same bull **** a few years back. Just before they went broke. Floor planing used tractors that were sold for cash. Some even floor planed tractors that customers had in the shop for repairs. Was a hell of a mess. Guessing it has trickled down to Harley "dealers".

Old 08-27-2012, 10:10 PM
len_atwork
Tourer

The original "owner" never owned the bike, so his name was never on the title. The lien holder/bank should have been informed that the bike was changing hands so the title should have been signed over directly to the new owner, not the guy who had been making payments to them. Sounds like the dealer needs to try harder to make it right.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Riven02
Cruiser

I am not sure how to proceed. Obviously I have the bike, the dealer says they are working to get me a title. I really don't want a refund as I want to keep the bike. What is the risk here?

I guess the original owner could refuse to sign the title?Meaning she could report it stolen? or how would this go down as a scam?

Old 08-27-2012, 10:17 PM
Riven02
Cruiser

Originally Posted by len_atwork
The original "owner" never owned the bike, so his name was never on the title. The lien holder/bank should have been informed that the bike was changing hands so the title should have been signed over directly to the new owner, not the guy who had been making payments to them. Sounds like the dealer needs to try harder to make it right.
Isn't it in both the banks and original owners name?
I have always paid cash for my cars and bikes but I thought that was how it worked.

Quick Reply: Screwed Around or Normal Practice