General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screwed Around or Normal Practice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:12 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Maybe the owner kept the cash and skipped town rather than paid the bike off. Then he'd have the money, and the bike would still have the note. Seems wrong they can't make contact with the original owner...very wrong.

Could also be a "lesser" scam where the seller used the cash to fix an immediate financial need and then had to wait to actually get other money together to pay the loan off, thus causing the delay in paperwork.

Either way it is wrong of the dealer to do business this way.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:53 AM
spoonie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the dealer, demand a clear title today or give them the bike back for a
FULL refund. There are other sporties out there.......

Old 08-28-2012, 05:44 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spoonie
Go to the dealer, demand a clear title today or give them the bike back for a
FULL refund. There are other sporties out there.......
This sounds like the most clear-cut way to do this. This isn't the only Sportster around, and the one in your garage has a lot strings still attached to it.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:47 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

They should never have left the bike out of the store until they had the title in their hands. Relying on some flake they hope to get a hold of when they sell the bike and not even tell you about it, is just not the way to run a business. They're not selling pottery at a flea market.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 AM
rmarino14
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would want to see proof that they paid the title holder. If they can't produce that demand your money back and go and get a sporty from somewhere reputable. I wouldn't want the hassle when the title owner comes for that bike.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 AM
WestPalmBop
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are misunderstanding the seriousness of this. YOU DON'T OWN THE BIKE! The lienholder owns the bike. They have the title. To put it in perspective, not only don't you own the bike, you are out the cash you paid if that dealer goes belly up.

Go in today, get your money back, hand them the bike. If they don't do that for you, call a lawyer asap. It sounds like you love the sportie, but you are going to lose that and the cash at the same time when the lienholder repo's it from you.

Don't wait any longer, go now!!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Riven02
Isn't it in both the banks and original owners name?
I have always paid cash for my cars and bikes but I thought that was how it worked.
Not sure about Texas, but in Mass., if the original owner finances a vehicle, the title is produced in the original owners name, with the bank as the lien holder.

The title is then sent to the lien holder and put in your file. When the loan has been satisfied, the bank sends the title to the original owner, which is already in the owners name.

The original owner never sees the title until the loan is paid off.

So if there is a lien on the sporty, the seller does not have the title, nor is he authorized to sign off on it, the lein holder has the title and will not release it until the loan has been satisfied.

Last edited by ElectraGlideSteve; 08-28-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:46 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rmarino14
I would want to see proof that they paid the title holder. If they can't produce that demand your money back and go and get a sporty from somewhere reputable. I wouldn't want the hassle when the title owner comes for that bike.
I agree.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:56 AM
johnjay
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take the bike back to the dealer and get your money, period. Who would want to do business with someone that does not know their business. As most said, this isn't going to end well. I can not believe you had this done to you by a authorized HD dealer.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Robmitch49
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell this dealer you want this title fixed NOW, or your money back plus every nickel you put in this bike after buying it to included any oilchange, washjobs, and fuel or they can pay your laywer bill too.

Quick Reply: Screwed Around or Normal Practice