General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd motorcyclist fatality

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Rokkerhead
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd motorcyclist fatality

This accident just happened a few miles down the road from me. Not many facts in yet, but it sounds kind of strange. Either way, not a good situation, and condolences go out to the family.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/lewis...monday/1242786

Last edited by Rokkerhead; 08-27-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 08-27-2012, 01:28 PM
liljoejoe54
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's messed up. I hate when the news has to mention if he was or wasn't wearing a helmet if it has absolutely nothing to do with how they died or if the helmet would of saved his life. If he fall of his bike and smacked his head off the pavement and the head injury caused his death then yeah, mention if he was wearing a helmet or not. He was crushed by a 45,000lb+ truck, it doesn't make any difference if he was wearing one or not, plastic and foam would not of saved him. Prayers go out to his family. Stay safe out there.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Suntower
Road Master

"A motorcyclist was waiting at the stop sign to turn onto Route 202 when he was hit by the truck."

"According to Desjardins, a skidmark in the northbound lane of Route 202 seems to indicate that the motorcyclist may have been behind the truck and was attempting to go around it as the truck was made its left turn."

So... which is it?

Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The story does contradict itself as it gives 2 accident scenarios .... sad just the same.

All I know is, never follow a garbage truck. That garbage juice is awful stuff.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Rokkerhead
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Suntower
"A motorcyclist was waiting at the stop sign to turn onto Route 202 when he was hit by the truck."

"According to Desjardins, a skidmark in the northbound lane of Route 202 seems to indicate that the motorcyclist may have been behind the truck and was attempting to go around it as the truck was made its left turn."

So... which is it?
Ahhh, that second scenario wasn't there when I originally read the article. Makes much more sense then the eye witness account. But, why would the eye witness make such a dramatically different claim? Looking at the pic of the skid mark seems it was made by the bike though. Wonder if the trucker forgot his turn signal?

Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
Suntower
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rokkerhead
Ahhh, that second scenario wasn't there when I originally read the article. Makes much more sense then the eye witness account. But, why would the eye witness make such a dramatically different claim? Looking at the pic of the skid mark seems it was made by the bike though. Wonder if the trucker forgot his turn signal?
Eyewitness accounts are usually pretty varied... and unreliable. And no... I'm most definitely NOT an LEO.

Does look, in all likelihood, that the rider attempted to pass and ran into and under the side of the truck...

Sad.

As far as the turn signal... I still don't think that's an excuse for the wreck... pay attention, and know what the cagers are doing before they do.

Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Sad for the biker and his family whether it was his mistake or the truckers. I also agree with the earlier poster about the helmet comment. It says the garbage truck ran over him and crushed him. Helmet or no helmet makes no difference in that circumstance.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:21 PM
gbear
Advanced

brings back a bad scenario I had 19 years ago. the road in the picture appears to curve right, if the rider was coming around a blind corner and the truck was in the middle of slowly entering the dirt road to the left the trash truck may have had the entire road covered leaving the rider very little opportunity for escape. I had a farm tractor pulling some impliments pull out onto a road with a similar scenario except the road curved left. when I came around the corner the farm tractor was in the right lane all the way to the grass and the impliments he had attached were blocking the entire left lane and covering the edge of the grass and field access.. I was fortunate enough that the farmer seen me and mashed his throttle, along with some hard braking, fish tailing and hanging on I came to a stop beside one of the large folded arms of the impliment he was pulling.. but none the less my heart and prayers go out to his family.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:28 PM
RoadLord
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn that's rough! Sad!
Yeah the commend about NOT wearing a helmet got on nerves! What? He might be alive if the trash truck didn't crush his bean? Get real!

Old 08-27-2012, 05:27 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I know a guy who got killed in a similar way about 10 years ago. Big Rig pulled off to right side of road. Biker thought he'd swing wide and pass the truck. Didn't realize the rig was swinging wide for a u turn. Bad.

Quick Reply: Odd motorcyclist fatality