General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Availablility of higher octane fuel out west?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 02:48 PM
CoopKC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Availablility of higher octane fuel out west?

Howdy all, heading out in 2 days back to Montana, and was wondering what kind of luck people had finding higher octane fuels up there and in Wyoming. I personally can't recall seeing over 89 (that was premium) until I got out of state. However, this was usually with me filling up at the local co-op where all the farmers filled up. Do some of the larger truck stops have some higher grade fuels? It's been about 10 years since I"ve actually run around up there and cared to observe the octance, though so my info could very well be pretty old.

I've got a 05 FLSTCI, and moco recommends 91 octane. Will 89 do in a pinch? I should be allright as long as I don't get excessive pings, I hope.

Old 08-07-2005, 02:50 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Availablility of higher octane fuel out west?

Higher Octane out west.[:@]

Nope. In NC I could get 93 Octane, here, the highest I can get is 91...it's readily available though. Places I'm referring to are NV, CA, AZ, NM...

I've not been restricted to 89 yet...so not sure how it is up in MT...

Mac

Old 08-07-2005, 04:04 PM
rdking
Tourer

92 octane fairly available in Iowa (at least around my area of southeast Iowa). Most places carry 91 octane. Some carry only 89 octane.[8D]

Tom

Old 08-07-2005, 07:35 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

In general, the higher the altitude the less octane is needed, so don't sweat it. Stick with Shell, Exxon, etc. and you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Big Ted
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just about everywhere around here in Oklahoma is 91 Octane for premium. It used to be 93, but they have recently lowered the premium to 91. Don't ask me why. It pissed me off the day I found out, drove to several different stations that I knew had 93 and all of the pumps had 91 octane on them!! It sucked that day.

Old 08-08-2005, 01:10 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i have to run 91 or better in my sporty, one day i was riding on fumes in a strange town, stopped at a country station and all they had was 89. the bike didnt like that very much so i drained a little gas out and added octane booster. so i carry a small bottle just in case i have that problem again!

Old 08-08-2005, 04:37 PM
yuppiewdeluxe
Novice

What poco said about higher altitudes is on the money. I took a Thermodynamics class in college and my college professor said the same exact thing, if you are driving at higher altitude, the octane in the fuel doesn't matter. I live in Denver, the owner's manual for my Tahoe says 91, but I put in 85. I've had the Tahoe for 4 years now and have never had a problem. I don't think I would skimp when it comes to my Harley, but in a pinch at high altitude, I certainly wouldn't be too worried to put in a lower octane fuel.

Old 08-09-2005, 12:21 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I have ridden in every Western State over the last few years, and 91 octane(HD's recommendation) is readily available at all major gas stations.

Regards,

Bill

Old 08-09-2005, 01:20 PM
Greywolf
Cruiser

Off the record, Bush's new energy bill will be adding more ethanol to our gas, just think what that will do to seals on the intake manifold over time.

Old 08-09-2005, 07:30 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: Greywolf

Off the record, Bush's new energy bill will be adding more ethanol to our gas, just think what that will do to seals on the intake manifold over time.
Won't do nothin' to mine 'cause very few stations around here have ethanol in their gas.

I was readin' somewhere a couple days ago about how it uses more energy to produce ethanol from corn than you get out of the ethanol. Anybody else ever hear of this?

Didja know Brazil cut their oil consumption by over 25% by switching to ethanol made from sugar cane? And it's cheaper to make ethanol from sugar cane? And our sugar cane growers successfully lobbied their Congress critters to prevent meaningful sugar cane importation, even if it was to be used only for ethanol production? Gotta love big bidness!

Quick Reply: Availablility of higher octane fuel out west?