General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Down goes the bike!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012 | 08:30 AM
supercrewser
Road Master

I dropped mine just getting off of it and the kickstand wasnt pushed all the way forward, in my effort to stop it from slamming to the ground I tore my rotator cuff. So dont feel bad.

Old 08-26-2012 | 08:48 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ewjax
What model bike? My kickstand doesn't kill the engine. I may have read that Euro versions of Harley's have that feature though, are you a Euro-Harley rider?
Cop bikes have 'em, this was at work.

Old 08-26-2012 | 10:14 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dickey
I dunno; training courses, DVDs, Ride Like a Pro,etc..we never had any of that stuff back in the day when I learned to ride, and we could ride circles around anyone..including the cops, who we used to outrun regularly.
Yeah Dickey, in the 60's we just jumped on them and rode. And we learned the hard way. I know I laid mine down in the dirt and on the street and flipped one while showing off doing wheelies. I was 16 and thus immortal and pushed the envelope regularly.

If you are honestly trying to suggest that in all the decades that you have been riding you have never laid a bike down then either (a) you aren't telling us the truth or (b) you always rode more cautiously, conservatively and soberly than I would have given you credit for.

I personally think there is nothing wrong with new riders using the training tools that are available, especially when they are learning on a $20,000 bike. The first one I rode was a "beater" and cost $100 so I didn't mind risking a scratch or ding.

Last edited by TKDKurt; 08-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2012 | 10:16 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

I like engine guards. They save lots of cosmetic damage. OP, nice to read about someone practicing and learning.

Old 08-26-2012 | 10:20 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

+1. Like you my bikes were originally cheap and dirt was somewhat forgiving when used as a landing. I don't heal as well as I use too and I am not putting my Harley's on the ground if I can help it ever.
Originally Posted by TKDKurt
Yeah Dickey, in the 60's we just jumped on them and rode. And we learned the hard way. I know I laid mine down in the dirt and on the street and flipped one while showing off doing wheelies. I was 16 and thus immortal and pushed the envelope regularly.

If you are honestly trying to suggest that in all the decades that you have been riding you have never laid a bike down then either (a) you aren't telling us the truth or (b) you always rode more cautiously, conservatively and soberly than I would have given you credit for.

I personally think there is nothing wrong with new riders using the training tools that are available, especially when they are learning on a $20,000 bike. The first one I rode was a "beater" and cost $100 so I didn't mind risking a scratch or ding.

Old 08-26-2012 | 11:12 AM
RaSh
Seasoned HDF Member
Default Then Vs. Now

Dickey,
Your comments got me thinking. Like you, I self taught myself to ride a long time ago, in the 60's. And at the time I thought that I was pretty good, did a lot of stupid, got away with most of it, and fortunately the bit that I didn't get away with didn't kill me.

I rode for close to 20 years quite a bit, then sporadically for close to 25 years, but rode a little almost every year until a bit over a year ago when I picked it up and started riding more regularly again.

Some things that I noticed.
- Purposefully counter-steering , as opposed to whatever we/I did on my own, which must have been a combination of counter-steering, leaning, hoping, and praying, is a lot more predictable and precise.
- I'm older, and slower, and on a barge compared to what I used to ride.
- Car's have improved dramatically in the past 45 years. Average cars accelerate and negotiate turns much better than before. You actually have to work at it to give someone a run for their money if they push you.
- Lot's more traffic.
- Way too many distracted, poorly skilled, self indulgent, and aggressive drivers on the roads.
- Road conditions seem worse. A lot more crap on the roads, and more really beat up roads than what I remember.

A long list to state I'm relearning correctly to allow me to adapt to todays realities, and applaud ewjax's efforts. Clearly a path for me to follow as well.

Old 08-26-2012 | 11:31 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member

Good luck with your future riding.

Dickey when you going to show us that big red S on your chest bro?

Old 08-26-2012 | 11:43 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

I learned as a kid on mini-bikes and dirt bikes too, then at the tender age of 16 I bought my first street bike, a Honda CM400 Custom, which I rode for 2 years. I then bought a Kawasaki Spectre 750 that I beat like there was no tomorrow. Burn outs and drag races daily, many many times out running the police (only ever actually got caught once, damn troopers). That bike was pretty much toast after 10,000 miles and 4 rear tires.

My point is, I thought I was a pretty good rider, and I was...in a straight line. Then I was fortunate to be selected as a motor officer, and motor school actually taught me to REALLY ride a street bike. Ride Like A Pro is a GREAT tool, everyone can learn something from it.

Old 08-26-2012 | 11:45 AM
cripula
Tourer

Originally Posted by dickey
I dunno; training courses, DVDs, Ride Like a Pro,etc..we never had any of that stuff back in the day when I learned to ride, and we could ride circles around anyone..including the cops, who we used to outrun regularly.
I'm happy to learn from someone else's experience.

I've been on HDs for 23 years. I've had my FLHT for 8, but never got as comfortable with really low speed manoeuvring/U turns as I would have liked.

2 weeks ago I took a course that focused on that (plus some emergency braking, proper line picking, etc), and with some really good instruction by the end of day 2 I was doing pretty tight figure 8s at full lock dragging the boards.

I learned a crap load in a very short time, and had a blast doing it. Can't wait to take their advanced course next year.

Old 08-28-2012 | 01:33 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
Engine guards have saved many a paint job. A scratch on the guard means you have taken the bike out of the garage.

Congrats on the new Fat Boy and your continuing learning.
Opppps, both times I've had mine at 45* was in the garage...

I'll add the Jiffy stand needs to be all the forward for the bike to stay upright.