General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NH tragedy

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012 | 07:43 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Iron Butt Springer
DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT....

The majority of Seniors will never hang up the keys until they kill someone... All you can do is drive 100% defensively....

Old 08-29-2012 | 11:30 AM
MalteseFalcn
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
Then your dad probably would not have had a problem passing a driving test. I wasn't bashing the elderly, but it's just a fact most people that age don't have the motor skills necessary to operate a vehicle safely. Those that are defending are in denial of reality.

I had a friend that was killed, have a friend that is crippled, and a family member that was critically injured, all from the exact same situation...an old (80+) person pulled right out in front of them and caused a major accident.

I don't care how good of shape someone is in...nobody possesses the motor skills at 85 that they do even at 65, which is why they should have to take a driving test to prove they are still capable.
Doesn't matter if your dad was a doctor or a garbage man...irrelevant.
If they are capable, then they would have no problems taking the test...if they're not then they don't need to be on the road, period.
I don't know how one of the posters managed to drag Obama's name into this (Barack Obama is the reason 87-year olds can't drive, huh what??), but I will say that it is POLITICIANS' fault this problem exists.

You need government regulations to change, to require elderly drivers to re-test.

Politicians are terrified of losing their "senior vote," so none of them will touch this issue with a 10-foot pole. Simple as that.

In the meantime, enjoy reading the news every day about 110-year old drivers mowing down pedestrians.

And yeah, when I get old(er) and gray(er), y'all youngins can drive my @$$ around town.

Old 08-29-2012 | 11:42 AM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member

Funny that no one has mentioned a very common occurrence. You are driving down the road and see a rock on the road. Keep looking at it and chances are you will run over it. Older guy is driving down the road and sees a pack of bikers. What do you think he will do. Stare in awe at them. Guess what happens next. Target Fixation always kicks in.
Just my guess though...and he wouldn't know what happened to cause him to cross the centre line.

Old 08-29-2012 | 12:05 PM
Tampakingpin
Outstanding HDF Member

This seems like a great tragedy. It is a huge nightmare scenario. Sorry to hear it happened.

Old 08-29-2012 | 12:07 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Iron Butt Springer
Yeah i know we have a few 80 Year old's on this site you may be the exception so don't get all bent OK, this **** just went personal.... I hope the fool spends the rest of his days locked up ....
I'm 65, a ways from senile, I hope, but I've deliberately changed my driving habits knowing that reduction in eyesight, reflexes, and general skills sneaks up on you. I avoid snap judgements, watch traffic carefully before pulling out, no "I can make it" quick glances, leave extra room, and try to do an "eye check" every day - look all around an object like a stop sign, and make sure it doesn't disappear at some point; getting blind spots isn't unusual in advanced age, and can easily hide a motorcycle, if not a car. I've talked to 70 plus'ers that insisted they could drive as well as ever; maybe so, but if you don't take your own age into consideration and compensate for it, you're asking for trouble at some point. I don't get bent when someone complains about old drivers; I'll even agree sometime, but I know I'm getting there, and hope with some sense I can be one that doesn't give his generation a bad rap for driving dangerously - or worse yet, hurting someone.

Old 08-29-2012 | 12:16 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by arcticharleyman
Funny that no one has mentioned a very common occurrence. You are driving down the road and see a rock on the road. Keep looking at it and chances are you will run over it. Older guy is driving down the road and sees a pack of bikers. What do you think he will do. Stare in awe at them. Guess what happens next. Target Fixation always kicks in.
Just my guess though...and he wouldn't know what happened to cause him to cross the centre line.
vERY TRUE!

Old 08-29-2012 | 02:04 PM
morleyz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MalteseFalcn
I don't know how one of the posters managed to drag Obama's name into this (Barack Obama is the reason 87-year olds can't drive, huh what??), but I will say that it is POLITICIANS' fault this problem exists.

You need government regulations to change, to require elderly drivers to re-test.

Politicians are terrified of losing their "senior vote," so none of them will touch this issue with a 10-foot pole. Simple as that.

In the meantime, enjoy reading the news every day about 110-year old drivers mowing down pedestrians.

And yeah, when I get old(er) and gray(er), y'all youngins can drive my @$$ around town.
Just take away seniors' right to vote too. Problem solved.

Old 08-29-2012 | 02:20 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by morleyz
Just take away seniors' right to vote too. Problem solved.
As someone said earlier...."driving is a privilege, not a right"
Voting is a right, driving is not.
Don't get the two confused.

Old 08-29-2012 | 02:20 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by MalteseFalcn

Good post....I agree.

Old 08-29-2012 | 02:53 PM
morleyz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sharkman73
As someone said earlier...."driving is a privilege, not a right"
Voting is a right, driving is not.
Don't get the two confused.
I assumed all would understand that was said tongue in cheek.

Quick Reply: NH tragedy