General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NH tragedy

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012 | 10:41 PM
Nirvana
Road Captain

I've had to deal with an older family member who refused to give up the keys even though they probably should have. It's not as simple as eveyone seems to think it is. In my case, nothing tragic occurred to everyone's good fortune.

First of all, we all hope that we will just hang up the keys and ask for a ride when we need one. With a lot of old people pride and the admisssion that they just aren't capable of maintaining the independence of driving can stoke a stubborn reaction to anyone wanting take away their privilege to drive.

Two, the DMV (at least in my state) renews licences for 5 years and someone's faculties and skills can deteriorate rapidly in less than five years. Also, renewing a driver's license doesn't require a new written or road test. All they check for is eyesight.

Third, even the law can't take away an individual's drivers license unless they commit a moving violation or are "legally" declared incompetent to operate a motor vehicle. The latter can be an ugly path for everyone involved.

This is a very sad story. I hope that when it's time I have the humility to hang up my motorcycle and car keys (fobs).

Old 08-27-2012 | 07:06 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Foodog
I get a little weary of the senior citizen bashing every time there is an accident. Every day there are thousands of seniors going grocery shopping, doctor's appointments and other necessities of daily life and they cause no problems at all. Sure there comes a time when all of us, you included, will need to hang up our keys and find another way to get around. I'd like to think I'll know when that day comes but I might not until something happens that scares me enough. No one apparently knows why this guy caused the accident. He could have sneezed, been adjusting the radio or any number of things we all do that distract us for a moment. I really doubt that he would have done it on purpose.

You do realize too that every day all across the country teen agers texting, talking or otherwise distracted cause accidents yet the DMV keeps giving them licenses. You also realize that all across the country soccer moms in their vans are yelling at the kids, putting on makeup or talking on the phone and rear end or turn left in front of bikes yet the DMV keeps giving them licenses. You probably know too that young guys and middle age guys light cigarettes, fiddle with their stereo or try to open a hamburger package and take out a biker in the process. Include too those spaced out on drugs, drunk, speeding or just a plain poor driver that kill and maim people yet the DMV keeps giving them licenses. Drivers of all ages, sex and ability are involved in accidents every day, and yes, for the most part they are just that, accidents. Remember too that at any given moment you yourself might not see a bike and pull out in front of it or look away for a moment and rear end or run over someone. Most of us will go through life without ever having an accident which is partly due to luck and mostly due to good driving habits but the specter of causing an accident is always with us.

Don't forget that a lot of those seniors that you're bashing are the ones who helped build this country you enjoy and have been called upon to defend it on the field of battle. Keep in mind too that with some luck you will be a senior citizen and will have to listen to the younger crowd dissing you. It may not mean much to you now but believe me it will someday.

We have all chosen to ride a motorcycle which is an inherently dangerous mode of transportation. We have absolutely no protection other than what we choose to wear and what would only be a fender bender in an automobile could be fatal on a bike. We all use risk management to assess whether or not to ride and those of use that do have to realize the consequences and the fact that it could end in an instant. I wish it were not so but it's a fact of life.

Rant over.
the difference is that in all the examples that you gave, texting, yelling at kids, etc. those are all temporary distractions. the 87 yo definitely has a permanent decreased capacity than any or all of those earlier examples.

and while i don't disagree that many of those seniors helped to build this country, fought for this country, etc. there comes a time when they need to hang it up. are you gonna let a 90 yo combat medic operate on your heart simply because he fought for his country 60 years ago?

Old 08-27-2012 | 08:50 AM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

If you're over 70, you should have to take a DRIVING test every year to prove your competency. Some, if not the majority, of people that age or above don't possess the skills necessary to operate a motor vehicle safely and not endanger the lives of everyone else on the damn road. I don't give 2 ***** what you have done in the past or who you are...they should have to take a driving test.

A 19 yo girl on a motorcycle was killed recently here because an 82 yo woman pulled out in front of her...enough said.

Old 08-27-2012 | 09:12 AM
Longhair4life
Extreme HDF Member

That is F'd up.

Old 08-27-2012 | 09:58 AM
BladeRun
Tourer

Yesterday I was on a bike run with about 100+ other bikes, riding down a 2 lane road in Plymouth, MA. My friends and I were probably 10 bikes from the tail end. A car that had been waiting to turn left onto a side street apparently either got 1) impatient or 2) thought he had enough room.

Yup, he turned left right through the ride. The rider closest hit the brakes hard and laid the bike down, then he was high sided off. Luckily the oncoming traffic was still stopped. The driver, an 80+ yr old man, left the scene but was followed by a couple of other bikes. He drove to his house, oblivious to what had occured. The rider might have had a broken leg, still haven't seen anything in the news.

While certainly not the level of the tragedy of the incident in NH it was hard to witness. A 100 bike run doesnt take long to clear a road, I don't think people would have been waiting for all that too long. Certainly reinforces that we're the little guys out there.

Old 08-27-2012 | 10:31 AM
LDB415
Road Captain

One or two have posted excellent replies and several have posted knee jerk replies you'd expect from an Obama liberal. My dad was a doctor. He practiced for 50 years. He consulted with internationally known physicians during his practice. He died July 4 this year at 86.25 years of age. For 85.9 years he was as alert and capable as anyone here spouting their blanket age discrimination garbage. He was probably more alert and capable than a few who are most likely damaged and lacking due to who knows how much substance abuse in the past and/or present. He gave up driving the last year of his life although he was fully capable most of it until a stroke overpowered him and he couldn't recover. I'd bet money there are at least a few in what should be the prime of their lives who are less capable and less deserving of driving privileges than the elderly they are bashing. There certainly are some pots around it seems.

Old 08-27-2012 | 10:43 AM
MCHOGG
Road Captain

Sad for all involved, I hope I know when to stop driving and riding. i would not want to be responsible for bringing a tragedy into others lives.

Old 08-27-2012 | 10:38 PM
carlofwine
Intermediate

My thoughts & Prayers to all the families involved. I'm still recovering from an accident in Nelson, NH during Bike week where i lost a dear friend and suffered a broken foot all due to a "motorist crossing a double yellow line"

Again, my prayers are with those lost and injured.........peace.

Old 08-28-2012 | 02:54 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LDB415
One or two have posted excellent replies and several have posted knee jerk replies you'd expect from an Obama liberal. My dad was a doctor. He practiced for 50 years. He consulted with internationally known physicians during his practice. He died July 4 this year at 86.25 years of age. For 85.9 years he was as alert and capable as anyone here spouting their blanket age discrimination garbage. He was probably more alert and capable than a few who are most likely damaged and lacking due to who knows how much substance abuse in the past and/or present. He gave up driving the last year of his life although he was fully capable most of it until a stroke overpowered him and he couldn't recover. I'd bet money there are at least a few in what should be the prime of their lives who are less capable and less deserving of driving privileges than the elderly they are bashing. There certainly are some pots around it seems.
Then your dad probably would not have had a problem passing a driving test. I wasn't bashing the elderly, but it's just a fact most people that age don't have the motor skills necessary to operate a vehicle safely. Those that are defending are in denial of reality.

I had a friend that was killed, have a friend that is crippled, and a family member that was critically injured, all from the exact same situation...an old (80+) person pulled right out in front of them and caused a major accident.

I don't care how good of shape someone is in...nobody possesses the motor skills at 85 that they do even at 65, which is why they should have to take a driving test to prove they are still capable.
Doesn't matter if your dad was a doctor or a garbage man...irrelevant.
If they are capable, then they would have no problems taking the test...if they're not then they don't need to be on the road, period.

Old 08-28-2012 | 03:18 PM
Iron Butt Springer
Road Warrior

DRIVING IS A PRIVILEGE NOT A RIGHT....

The majority of Seniors will never hang up the keys until they kill someone... All you can do is drive 100% defensively....

Last edited by Iron Butt Springer; 08-28-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Quick Reply: NH tragedy