General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:25 AM
Rb4872
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding Jacket

Looking for some insight from some fellow riders. I know everyone will have their own opinions on which is best but not looking for brand, just ideas. I don't care about style or anything like that, I have no windshield so get all the wind.

I was told from the local HD store that Leather is good for thin layers underneath and can be hot in the fall. She also told me the lighter weight Nylon jackets are nice in the fall and can be paired with a hoodie for riding into late October (in PA.) Is this a good rule of thumb? Guess i'm looking for at that upper 50's, low 60's jacket.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Bkrazy
Cruiser

I bought a leather jacket with a removable lining and zippered air vents from leatherup.com. I love it and will wear it in the summer if on the highway and have worn it in the winter with layers underneath. I dont know how much money you have, but I bought a jacket that seemed as if it would fit all year round. I cant afford to buy 12 different jackets for each month.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
BootsAndPants
Cruiser

I don't have a shield either and I have one leather jacket I wear year round. This method seems to work for me:

If it's cold, zip it up all the way.
Really cold? Wear a heavy flannel shirt or even a lightweight down or primaloft layer under there.
Hot? Zip it down a bit until comfortable.
Really hot? Zip it down and go faster
Still too hot? Just sweat it out. People pay good money for sauna treatments...look at it as a bargain!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:22 PM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

I have a leather jacket with removable liner and a vest.

Really cold I wear the jacket with liner.

Not so cold jacket without liner.

Slightly warm vest with flannel.

Fairly warm just the vest.

Really warm t-shirt.

I can carry all this stuff in my bag easily and I am prepared for different climate changes. When I ride from the coast to the mountains or dessert the different options work good.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:36 PM
blackbob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep buying jackets but I'm getting some help now. I wear a Schott 141 for 3 seasons and a HD mesh jacket in the summer.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:52 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

In CA, best to have a cold and a warm weather jacket. That being said, whatever you get make sure it has armor and in the back (HD jackets don't have spine protection for some reason) and seem to run $100+ higher than everyone else.

If you get a leather, a removable liner and lots of vents are great.

I have a mesh jacket that my big flannel winter jacket fits right over and it's absurdly easy to mash up into the saddlebag.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Rb4872
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies guys. Should note I've looked at a bunch online but I'm hesitant to buy because from trying jackets on, the Large Tall at HD fit best. I checked out the 3 in 1 Road Warrior today which I really liked, just didn't like the $500 price tag (although I wasn't surprised by that.) As someone else asked, I'm not worried about cost, just if I can get "one size fits all" or if I should know I should go with 2 different ones.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:01 PM
ksscooter
Cruiser

Last year I bought a Tour Master coat that is a combo all weather/rain coat with a zip out lining, vents, a million waterproof pockets, vents that zip, and heavy zipper. When I took off on a 2650 mile ride including the mts. This is the coat I took. Good move.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:05 PM
BARACU
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,567 Likes on 2,621 Posts

You might want to look at First Gear Kenya textile jacket. I bought one this year and wore it in 30 and 40 degree weather in PA. A lot of good features to it. At the price, it leaves room to buy a mesh jacket for warm weather. Revzilla is great to deal with and they're in PA.
BTW, their sizing tends to run on the small side. I'm 6'2" and 205lbs. I got a 2xlTall. A little loose , but room to layer up under it
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/f...r-kenya-jacket

Last edited by BARACU; 08-23-2012 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Dynomutt
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From 33 degrees to 100 degrees, I haven't found a better single jacket than the H-D Switchback. It is a bit costly and not leather, but it goes from a relatively weather tight textile jacket to a 90% mesh jacket or anywhere in between. It has elbow and shoulder armor standard -- back armor costs an extra $25 and is readily available.

There are better cold weather, rainy weather, OR hot weather jackets; but that wasn't the question.

Quick Reply: Riding Jacket