General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craigslister on crack...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012 | 10:32 PM
JustOneDean
|
Road Warrior
Default Craigslister on crack...

So, in my ceaseless search to find a bike to ride while I save up for a Harley, I found this gem:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/3187642385.html

The owner's asking $1650. In case the ad gets pulled down, here's the text, emphasis mine:

"This is a 2011 Yamaha V-star 250 I bought last October. I bought the bike right before leaving for the Military. So I hardly had the chance to break it in. I bought the bike brand new from Performance Motorsports at just about $4600 out the door. The bike has less than 1700 miles on it. Unfortunately when I got back from bootcamp and tech school, after months of grueling training, I was hit by a car while riding this bike when I returned home. Since the bike is brand new, it doesn't look too bad. But will most likely need a new frame. At just $1650 though, this bike is a steal I think. But make me an offer, I could part it out and probably make near that.. But I'd rather someone fix it and enjoy it. These are also all current pictures of the bike, taken after the accident. Thanks for your time."

Am I crazy, or does that generally mean it's totaled? I know I wouldn't move into a house that needs a new foundation...

Old 08-19-2012 | 12:28 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member

if it was an insurance write off it would be totaled, then you just fix it and get it inspected, you get a rebuilt title then register it like normal.. my bike and truck has a rebuilt title. it only really means anything on resale, that bike would be worth about $2500 regardless.. if the insurance wasn't involved, it will still have a clear title. fix whatever is wrong, get a brand new frame from the dealer with the same vin, or get a used frame and get the bike inspected.. it is a way to save a lot of money on a bike you may not be able to afford otherwise..

in the picture, it looks like all it will need is a fork stantion tube(the chrome tube), and a side cover..

Last edited by j1mmy; 08-19-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-19-2012 | 06:38 AM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain

I would go take a close look at it. I went to look at a Snowmobile once that the guy said was totaled.....It needed a $10 part that was missing from the front shock.It made the front suspenion look bent. The sled ran perfect for about 10 years.....

Old 08-19-2012 | 07:29 PM
JustOneDean
|
Road Warrior

Huh... how much would I be looking at for a new frame for a bike like this? And assuming the frame actually wasn't bent, how much would the tube and side cover cost?

Old 08-19-2012 | 09:51 PM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member

Looks like he hit the car, not the other way around. My guess is the dealer told him the frame would be bent in an effort to sell him a new bike. I'd be you throw new fork tubes in it and it would be fine.

Old 08-20-2012 | 01:03 AM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

Looks like some "minor adjusting" would fix it right up.

Old 08-21-2012 | 02:28 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member

a frame could be anywhere from $10-$1000 used new is probably around $600-1200. all it takes to total a bike is a bent forkstop. or technically even a stone chip on the frame because they don't repair any cycle parts.it can usually be repaired easily... i doubt the frame is going to be much of an issue. the last Jap fork tube i knew of was $260 from suzuki for a 06 bulavard 800. i have seen fork tubes go for as little as $5 used. that bike is smaller, most of the parts are a lot cheaper then the big bike prices..sadly they are still a lot more then buying new harley parts(try to figure that out) ebay is your friend on rebuilding a bike..

i have straitened lots of small forktubes on bikes at the bike shop i worked on.. just depends on how confident you are in your work and ability. once on a cheap old dirtbike, i saw a tech turn the fork tubes around and run the bike into a wall again. i wouldn't suggest that, but the posibilitys are endless.

Last edited by j1mmy; 08-21-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-21-2012 | 02:46 PM
DDuess
Road Captain

I would say that one is a total, looks like bent frame, swingarm, shock, stanchions, front wheel, bet the engine mounts are broke too, it is twisted in the frame. Not much left of that one.

Old 08-21-2012 | 03:09 PM
StuxnetKiller
Cruiser

One man's junk is another man's treasure. Gotta give him credit for putting a positive spin on a negative situation.

Old 08-21-2012 | 04:29 PM
zer0t
Road Captain

It's just a frame, one part, it IS a steal.

Quick Reply: Craigslister on crack...