Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes I'm a newbie to this-Sturgis question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 05:20 AM
Oldtimer of NM
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Yes I'm a newbie to this-Sturgis question

Finding a place to sleep (or pass out, whichever applies[X(]) is slightly easier when you go early. If you haven't been before, it is worth the crowds and all the problems to see Sturgis in full swing. If they still do it, Harley Thunder Night is something to experience. When several thousand Vtwins are fired up all at once, you can hear them beyond Spearfish.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:07 AM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

This will make my third year, we arrive on Friday afternoon in Rapid City before the rally to get in some good riding and visit Sturgis at least every other night. Normally leave on the Thursday after the Hulitt run.

Old 01-22-2007, 10:25 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 261 Likes on 86 Posts

Great info here! I asked this question in another post and really didn't get the answer I was looking for. For a weeks camping and hanging out, not buying into everything but having fun and riding, what kind of price tag, generally speaking, are we looking at? I checked into some of the lodging prices, and then hearing of the huge inflation of prices during the rally, I would need to know this so I can figure whether this is in my budget.

Thanks

Old 01-22-2007, 10:46 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have been going to Sturgis every year since 1987 and went a couple times before that but not in a row. Saw lots of changes. I usually go to arrive the First Saturday and stay till Thursday. We (8 of us) ride there and back from New Orleans area. Takes 3-4 days there and 3-4 days back. Mostly backroads. Stay in motels on the way there and back. 6 days in Strugis gives me time to do all the great rides (naked Tuesday in Hulet, WY) etc. Always stay in a campground and usually the Buffalo Chip. Very noisy but lots action. Campground is about $220 for the week. You can eat breakfast every monring at the local High School for $5. Catch a burger etc at a vendor downtown or elsewhere. Beers $2, tshirts other goodies $$$. I usually spend about $1300-$1500 for the entire trip. Go for the rides and the atmosphere. Nothing like it anywhere and I have done them all. Laconia, Laughlin, Daytona, Myrtle Beach etc.

ORIGINAL: glideridemike

Great info here! I asked this question in another post and really didn't get the answer I was looking for. For a weeks camping and hanging out, not buying into everything but having fun and riding, what kind of price tag, generally speaking, are we looking at? I checked into some of the lodging prices, and then hearing of the huge inflation of prices during the rally, I would need to know this so I can figure whether this is in my budget.

Thanks

Old 01-22-2007, 11:22 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks
You can forget all about reasonable prices. If you won't pay it somebody else will. I have some buds who rent homes in Spearfish for the week but those are probably gone--but you might do an online search for some rental agents in the black hills and check. If you decide to camp, just be aware that the term "campground" is used quite loosely during the rally. Just because a place calls themselves a campground doesn't mean it's any more than a pasture the other 50 weeks of the year. And when it comes to campgrounds, you have your choice from *****-to-the-wall party zones to places that enforce quiet hours. Do your research and find what's best for you.

Old 01-22-2007, 11:31 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 100thRK

I have been going to Sturgis every year since 1987 and went a couple times before that but not in a row. Saw lots of changes. I usually go to arrive the First Saturday and stay till Thursday. We (8 of us) ride there and back from New Orleans area. Takes 3-4 days there and 3-4 days back. Mostly backroads. Stay in motels on the way there and back. 6 days in Strugis gives me time to do all the great rides (naked Tuesday in Hulet, WY) etc. Always stay in a campground and usually the Buffalo Chip. Very noisy but lots action. Campground is about $220 for the week. You can eat breakfast every monring at the local High School for $5. Catch a burger etc at a vendor downtown or elsewhere. Beers $2, tshirts other goodies $$$. I usually spend about $1300-$1500 for the entire trip. Go for the rides and the atmosphere. Nothing like it anywhere and I have done them all. Laconia, Laughlin, Daytona, Myrtle Beach etc.

Thanks
You should be ok on $150-$200/day, which includes the campground. (Can you do it for less? Yes, but if it's your first time you should over-budget) You'll burn a lot of gas (premium prices) and pay some bucks for the attractions (Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park). Rally food's not cheap. I try to eat a full meal once a day (Golden Corral at Rapid is a good place to chow down after a long day, and you can get a good steak dinner at Elk Creek Steakhouse between Sturgis & Rapid). And even if you hate shopping, you'll spend more than you think on shirts and trinkets.

Oh--and as I learned the hard way on my first trip--keep some $$ available for unexpected repairs.