Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes I'm a newbie to this-Sturgis question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yes I'm a newbie to this-Sturgis question

the week before is just as great as the week of but less traffic
only thing is you have to make the hazbeens party @ the side hack saloon it looks like we will be moving it to tuesday this year instead of monday

Old 01-21-2007, 12:23 AM
Crushertx3
Road Warrior

oh and the cookie run @ the Va Hospital for the old folks

for more info on either pm me

Old 01-21-2007, 12:31 AM
johnny canuck
Road Captain

Been there four times so far. Leave home 3:30am Saturday morning and arriveSunday afternoon. 20 hours on the road.I have done B&B in Belle Fourche twice, Bulldog campground and KOa in Spearfish. Get up early and you beat the crowds. Usually leave Thursday morning and head to Yellowstone. Sturgis is an awesome experience but I am very frugal with my coin. I tend not to buy anything as it is getting extremely commercialized, ie overpriced. Still, there aregood people and deals to be had for the basics of life. You may just have to travel a bit off the beaten path. My garage is full of posters dating back to 1994.
I guess it's like going to Meca for the Muslims.

Old 01-21-2007, 02:23 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well guess there are pros and cons regardless of when you go.
I've noticed inflated prices all around the country when there are major events in that area.
I look at it like this, if you can't make it on the same price year round (for whatever you're selling) then rather than rape me durig the area event, you need to get in a different line of work.
Local motels (Cheyenne) kick the regulars out (they stay there most year round) when frontier days roll around and inflate the price two or three times higher.
Back to sturgis. If you don't mind a short drive from sturgis(good road) I would stay in Bell Foursche, place there called the PLAYground campground.
Prices are fair, indoor showers and toilets, they feed you two meals a week, supply snacks, and the owners are friendly and try to make your stay pleasant.
Couple of good bars 3 blocks away, with a street party.
Breakfast couple churches within 6 blocks huges servings and only $3.00 this last year.
40 miles from sturgis and for those that want to go to no panty wednesday in Hulett,Wy its only 40 miles of good road there and another 10 to Devils towers or go 6 miles south of Bell foursche to spearfish and take the canyon run down into sturgis.
I used to do bufalo chip and all them, but like you say too damn many people and bikes!
But the ride is great!

Old 01-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Is showing up the first part of the week of Sturgis better or is the end of the week better? I've got my two weeks off for vacation but can't decide which part of the week to show up. I'll also have about three other couples in tow with us.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scurvy Jack

Is showing up the first part of the week of Sturgis better or is the end of the week better? I've got my two weeks off for vacation but can't decide which part of the week to show up. I'll also have about three other couples in tow with us.
I've been to the rally a number of times and always go with friends--some couples, some singles and I'd like to make a suggestion based on some bad experiences: do NOT try to organize the trip so that the four couples do things as a group. There are so many things to see and do that somebody will always be bitching if you have everybody doing things together. One won't want to leave in the mornings because it's cold. Somebody else won't want to ride in the afternoon because of the heat. Somebody else will want to shop, others will hate downtown. Trust me on this--you'll all have a much better time if you don't over-plan and have everyone free to do their own thing.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:40 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

ORIGINAL: BG Weasel

I've been to the rally a number of times and always go with friends--some couples, some singles and I'd like to make a suggestion based on some bad experiences: do NOT try to organize the trip so that the four couples do things as a group. There are so many things to see and do that somebody will always be bitching if you have everybody doing things together. One won't want to leave in the mornings because it's cold. Somebody else won't want to ride in the afternoon because of the heat. Somebody else will want to shop, others will hate downtown. Trust me on this--you'll all have a much better time if you don't over-plan and have everyone free to do their own thing.

I agree completely. There is just sooo much to see and do that you need to be loose and able to go your own way. You all will probably end up doing most things together anyway but everyone needs the freedom to do thier own thing.

Old 01-21-2007, 11:14 PM
Scurvy Jack
Tourer

Thanks, I know that from putting together large group rides (100 +) for long weekend trips. We're planning on only being in the Sturgis area to "experience" the rally for two days. Our trip is two weeks seeing the sights going and coming from Sturgis. Is it better to see the Sturgis area early in the week based on the crowds or later in the week as it winds down? Once there everyone is on their own to see the sights and they understand that.

Old 01-22-2007, 01:07 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks, I know that from putting together large group rides (100 +) for long weekend trips. We're planning on only being in the Sturgis area to "experience" the rally for two days. Our trip is two weeks seeing the sights going and coming from Sturgis. Is it better to see the Sturgis area early in the week based on the crowds or later in the week as it winds down? Once there everyone is on their own to see the sights and they understand that.
You need to be in the Sturgis area more than two days. Just riding the Black Hills and stopping at the well known sites (Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wounded Knee, Devil's Tower, etc.) will take at least two days and there is still the Rally, looking at bikes, people, bars, concerts, and shopping. There are some very good deals on accessories and clothes. Not to mention those easy on the eye whatchamacallits.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:37 AM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,180 Likes on 1,821 Posts

I was there almost the entire week this past year, did a lot of riding and saw a lot of stuff. Still didnt see and do everything I wanted to do. Have had several peeps tell me it will take 2 or 3 trips in order to see and do everything...I'm saving my pennies so hopefully I can go back again this year....He!!, I'm ready to go now.

Quick Reply: Yes I'm a newbie to this-Sturgis question