General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with your kid(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012 | 01:38 PM
TravelingBiker
|
Tourer
Default Riding with your kid(s)

I'm sure some of you take your kids out on your bike once in a while... What age do you think is too young and where do you get kids helmets?

I can't wait to start packing my daughter along but before I did I thought I'd reach out to those that know for some info.

Thanks!

Old 08-18-2012 | 01:41 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member

Been awhile but I trust that bike shops, (American or metric,) should sell small DOT helmets.

With my daughter, she had to wait until her feet rested comfortably on the rear floorboards before she could ride with me. I'm guessing 3rd grade....

Old 08-18-2012 | 01:43 PM
ptagrad2001
Advanced

As long as they can reach pegs/floorboards easily, and are not going to fall asleep on you, it should be good. The only one who can say it is truly ok at a certain age is you. If you feel uncomfortable with taking your kid out then it is not a wise idea. As far as a helmet, any dealers should have kids helmets, but i have opted for 3/4 with a shield or full for my kids for more head protection in case.

Old 08-18-2012 | 02:33 PM
Lilman
Road Captain

My son and daughter started riding with me somewhere around 5 or 6. Soon as they could climb on and sit still with feet on the pegs, they were riding. Within 2 years afterwards they were riding their own dirtbikes, then street bikes about 14. Both took the MSF soon as they turned 16 and both still ride today at 28 and 23.

Most of the major helmet manufacturers make youth sizes.

Old 08-18-2012 | 03:40 PM
Dockrat
Advanced

I think my grand daughter was 7 when she started riding with me. Picked up a small helmet at the local bike shop.

Old 08-18-2012 | 03:44 PM
JEDHRMC
Advanced

Used to ride my little guy around the neighborhood when he was about 2. Strapped him to me w a weight lifting belt. No major roads or anything, just the quiet side streets. He loved it and always wanted to go. He's 16 now and bugging to get his bike license, but I won't let him until he demonstrates that he's mature and responsible enough, which he isn't - yet.

Took his older sister on a 10 day bike trip when she was 8. She loved it too, but has no interest in riding her own. That trip created a special bond between us that neither she or I will ever forget. We camped on the nice days and motelled it on the crappy days. After having been refused several rooms I started sending her in to see if there were any vacancies in the motels. Who could refuse that little thing all dressed up in her jacket and chaps. With her helmet on she looked like the Great Kazoo on the Flinststones. Back then motels out this way were not as biker friendly as they are today.

Old 08-18-2012 | 03:57 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member

Got my daughter on at 5 years old, I was ok with it earlier but had to compromise with the wife. Picked up a helmet at a Riders Choice near me, I have seen similar helmets at lots of other shops. She still can't reach the floorboards but neither can my 5'0" wife. I just have her put her feet on the saddlebags and she is good to go.

Old 08-18-2012 | 04:03 PM
jlb0038
Road Captain
Veteran: Marine Corp

Took my 6 year old out yesterday for a 40 minute ride. He can't reach the floorboards, but he knows to hold on to the seat strap tightly. I don't think I would take him if I didn't have the Electra Glide though, I would wait until they could touch the pegs.

Old 08-18-2012 | 04:39 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by jlb0038
Took my 6 year old out yesterday for a 40 minute ride. He can't reach the floorboards, but he knows to hold on to the seat strap tightly. I don't think I would take him if I didn't have the Electra Glide though, I would wait until they could touch the pegs.
OP--In California it is illegal to carry a passenger who cannot reach the passenger pegs.

Old 08-18-2012 | 06:07 PM
Jennz
Cruiser

boys are 8 and hubby takes them. I don't feel comfortable yet with taking them. they love it! We got them their helmets at the Harley store. wouldn't ya know....they wear 2 different sizes and had to get them each their own...and they are twins!

Quick Reply: Riding with your kid(s)