General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with your kid(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012 | 07:19 PM
barncat
Tourer

My kids (now 7 and 8) have been riding with me since they were 5 and 6. I wanted them to be able to understand verbal commands on the bike. I only put them on my tour bikes so they have a backrest for them, and my backrest to keep them secure.

Old 08-21-2012 | 09:10 AM
junior07
Road Master

Originally Posted by TravelingBiker
His interpretation wasn't incorrect, the judges was. Factory installed floorboards or foot pegs? So that means if I have floor boards or foot pegs that weren't factory installed (aftermarket purchased and installed by someone other than the manufacturer), or if I found a way to raise the OEM foot pegs to a height that allowed a 2 year old to reach them, I would still be violating the spirit of that law? That is BS. Complete BS from a judge who understands neither that law, nor how riding a motorcycle actually works.

A judgmental ***** who thinks he knows better than I do about how to raise my kid, and how to ride a motorcycle, even though he has no personal knowledge of either.

Every now and then you're bound to run into a fat headed **** who happens to be a judge, but from my experience, most of them require the law to be clear, and they use good sense when trying to apply the spirit of the law to any particular alleged violation. You're never going to win them all... But on this one you'll win more often than not, and if I was that guy I'd keep riding my kid with his feet resting on the crash bar.... Next time he gets a ticket (if he does) he likely wont see the same judge again unless it's a really tiny jurisdiction.

TravelingBiker, although I agree with you. I just wanted to point out that there are some in law enforcement that take the law too literally. And, if you risk it you may be ticketed.

I have a friend who bought V&H big Radius 2-1 pipes that couldn't be installed without him removing his passenger floorboards. He is a metal worker so He machined a bracket to raise the board above the pipe. I doubt law enforcement would know if those were dealer installed or not. But, since they look like they could have been, he would not likely be hassled.

To those who have children and their feet don't reach the pegs or boards, I would suggest doing something like he did.