General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with your kid(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012 | 09:58 PM
A.S.N.F.
Advanced

Originally Posted by CSSmith
Really...
Sorry gotta agree. Nothing like going to a local business and using them to find the right size then going online just to save a few bucks. Way to support your local economy.

Just a FYI, kinda the same thing big corporations do, have things designed here in the USA, the ship it off to China to be made. And people wonder why our economy sucks.

Last edited by A.S.N.F.; 08-18-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Old 08-18-2012 | 10:12 PM
CSSmith
Novice

Originally Posted by A.S.N.F.
Sorry gotta agree. Nothing like going to a local business and using them to find the right size then going online just to save a few bucks. Way to support your local economy.

Just a FYI, kinda the same thing big corporations do, have things designed here in the USA, the ship it off to China to be made. And people wonder why our economy sucks.
What I ment by saying that was get a helmet that fits correctly, then search around to find one that your kids like for there preference, color, design, what have you. Most of the dealers in my area appreciate you finding the one you want and ordering it through them, they also advise as to fitment as compaired to the ones they have on the floor.

Last edited by CSSmith; 08-18-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-18-2012 | 10:14 PM
A.S.N.F.
Advanced

Originally Posted by CSSmith
What I ment by saying that was get a helmet that fits correctly, then search around to find one that you like. I totally support my local economy, didn't mean it that way at all
Alright sorry then. Sorry, just get tired of hearing crap like that ya know.

Old 08-18-2012 | 10:29 PM
CSSmith
Novice

Originally Posted by A.S.N.F.
Alright sorry then. Sorry, just get tired of hearing crap like that ya know.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 08-18-2012 | 11:13 PM
TravelingBiker
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by lo-rider
OP--In California it is illegal to carry a passenger who cannot reach the passenger pegs.
Thanks for the info! Can you provide chapter and verse on that one?

Old 08-19-2012 | 01:38 PM
Daddie O
Cruiser

I started taking my son on rides with me when he was 6, and I got my V-Rod. On the Road King he couldn't reach the footpegs. At first it was just around the neighborhood, then the freeway. I have since taken him on rides with of over 3 hours. He wears a full face, and we wear chatterboxes so I can point out sights to him, and can give instructions like hold on tighter etc. Also he can tell me if he needs to go to the bathroom, or wants to stop for some water or food. Every day that it's not raining he wants to ride. He will be able to say he's been riding Harleys since kindergarten!

Old 08-19-2012 | 08:36 PM
TravelingBiker
|
Tourer

OK I was able to find the reference. For anyone interested, here it is.

------------------------------------------
CVC 27800: Infraction: Equipment for motorcycle passenger required.

It is unlawful for a driver of a motorcycle or a motorized
bicycle to carry any other person thereon, except on a seat securely
fastened to the machine at the rear of the driver and provided with
footrests, or in a sidecar attached to a motorcycle and designed for
the purpose of carrying a passenger. Every passenger on a motorcycle
or a motorized bicycle shall keep his feet on the footrests while
such vehicle is in motion.
-------------------------------------------------

So the law doesn't specifically require the passenger be able to reach the foot pegs, so to speak, but it does require your passenger to keep their feet on the foot pegs while the vehicle is in motion, which would seem to require it indirectly. But what if it's not possible for your passenger to place their feet on the foot pegs? Can they not ride? I'm not convinced.

I am willing to bet a ticket issued for that section can be challenged under many circumstances because of the way it is written. It's written in a way that suggests it's intent is to keep a passengers feet free of the road, chain/belt, and tires while the vehicle is moving... It is not written in a way (or in an context) that suggests it implies anything about a riders age, or physical ability. So I bet if a rider was cited under that section because he had a passenger whose legs didn't reach the foot pegs, or a passenger who was missing a leg entirely, I think the cop would be stretching the intent of the law and it would be pretty easy to beat that ticket, depending on how willing that particular judge is to hear an argument challenging the ticket. Some judges are great and respect a citizens right to challenge citations as long as they make reasonable, articulate, well thought out arguments, and others are just ******** who act like a citizen has no right contesting a citation unless represented by counsel. As always, ymmv, but I don't think the intent of that law has anything to do with the physical abilities of the passenger, and it's placed in the middle of a section regulating required equipment.

Since I don't think this section can be correctly applied in that manner, and I don't see any other section that deals with the question either, as far as I'm concerned it's not unlawful to ride with a passenger who doesn't have legs long enough to allow them to rest their feet on the foot pegs.

If you know of another section that deals with the question, or a relevant court case you can cite, I'd love to hear about it.

Sources:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...le=27800-27803
http://www.lasuperiorcourt.org/bail/pdf/misd.pdf

Last edited by TravelingBiker; 08-19-2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelling, grammar
Old 08-19-2012 | 09:57 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

You're welcome to get a ticket trying to prove your own personal interpretation.

Old 08-19-2012 | 10:18 PM
TravelingBiker
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by lo-rider
You're welcome to get a ticket trying to prove your own personal interpretation.
It's not a matter of getting a ticket trying to prove something, it's about doing something that is not unlawful, and not being afraid to do something that isn't unlawful because some cop may misinterpret or misapply the law. I tend to choose to live my life making decisions made based on information and risk management, not fear.

Some cops write tickets that have no chance of surviving judicial scrutiny, because they know that statistically speaking, there is almost no chance they will have to appear in court on that one citation. They know more than 99 percent of people will just pay the fine and not fight the ticket either because they are too lazy to fight it, they are afraid to, or because they are ignorant about the law or how the system works.

You know a few years ago in Fresno my old lady and I were heading home from the grocery store on my bike (before kids, I rode my motorcycle everywhere unless I had to get materials/appliances from the hardware store) with a bag of groceries between us, and several in front of me on the tank between my arms. A cop pulls up next to me (Fresno police are particularly unimpressive, as police agencies go) and says "You know that's ALMOST illegal?"

Almost illegal... What a crock of ****! You know what almost illegal means don't you? Completely LEGAL! Unless your activity (or inactivity, as the case may be) satisfies each element of the law prohibiting it (google elements of a crime) and matches the intent of the law (google spirit of the law), it's absolutely legal. I'd love to see a case where a police officer tried to explain to a judge how something you did was "almost illegal."

In this country, most of us believe we are free to do anything we want to as long as it doesn't not violate the law, or cause unreasonable harm to others. Many of us are particular proud of the tradition of freedom this country is supposed to have, as opposed to many other countries. I am aware that the herd prefers to blend in and keep their heads down, go with the flow and avoid any confrontation at all costs or resistance to our lifestyle choices... Some of us choose not to live our lives that way.

Last edited by TravelingBiker; 08-19-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 08-19-2012 | 10:38 PM
BuzzCap7
Club Member
Default Almost NEVER.

Almost never take my kids. If I do, it is sunday morning and that is it.

If something happens to them at their young age, then CRAP, that could be a seriosu damage for the rest of their life. For my kids NOT going to happen.

So they have gone out but not much and like I said, early morning.

I am GLAD I did not ride when I was young because I know I would be a terror and who knows what would have happened to me. It is not worth it.

Even know, I ahve a touring bike and I trat it like a crotch rocket a lot and should not but I get so excited.

Anyway..........that is my input. And of course, everyone knows I am right. LOL!

BuzzCap7

Quick Reply: Riding with your kid(s)