General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with your kid(s)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012 | 06:07 PM
h-d wrencher
Stellar HDF Member

My girl will be 8 in September and she started riding with me in May. Had to get the Kuryakyn adjustable rear pegs so her feet would reach though. Very little out of town. Mostly trips to stores and playgrounds or when she comes to me and says "sure is a nice day for a bike ride!". That is priceless!! Got a full-face helmet from local metric shop.

Old 08-18-2012 | 06:08 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by lo-rider
OP--In California it is illegal to carry a passenger who cannot reach the passenger pegs.
I had always heard this through word of mouth but have never been able to find it. As I stated above my OL can't even reach my passenger boards. Is there a age limit associated with this law ie. over 18 exempt?

Old 08-18-2012 | 06:13 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Chester
I had always heard this through word of mouth but have never been able to find it. As I stated above my OL can't even reach my passenger boards. Is there a age limit associated with this law ie. over 18 exempt?
OP--In California it is illegal to carry a passenger who cannot reach the passenger pegs.
This. Period.

Old 08-18-2012 | 06:23 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member

This. Period.
Right on..... I feel like a rebel now

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-18-2012 | 06:32 PM
A.S.N.F.
Advanced

My 3 1/2 year old gets to ride almost every day 70 feet up the driveway. My front yard is gated and when I come home he runs out and opens up the gate while my girl opens the garage. He sits on my lap and holds onto the bars. I know he will want to go for an actual with for me someday, but I'm so terrified that something will happen to him. Now my 20 month old really wants to do what his big brother does, but he doesn't understand how to hold on so he won't get to do it for a long while.

Old 08-18-2012 | 08:17 PM
mikecm469
Advanced

I was around 2 when I first started riding with my dad. My son is 5 now and my daughter is 10. I'll take my son around the neighborhood on the bike, but not on the highway. My daughter will ride with me anywhere. My daughter wears an adult small full face that we got from a lawn mower shop when we got them a go kart. My son has a youth large DOT dirt bike helmet. Most shops can get youth size helmets from.

Old 08-18-2012 | 08:43 PM
MYCRISIS
Elite HDF Member

My son started riding with me in the dirt at age 4 with his own helmet and thought nothing of riding a 100 yard wheely. Started taking short street rides with me at about the same time. I placed him in front of me between my legs and arms, not behind. He got his first 125 ATV at age 6.

He could really ride.

Old 08-18-2012 | 08:50 PM
CSSmith
Novice

My daughter started riding with me at 5, but she was tall enough to reach the floorboards. She is now 11, rides her own dirt bike, ATV, and is extremely interested in getting a street bike. She actually has a Harley Nightster picked out. Orange and Black, with blacked out everything, Willie G everywhere...makes me proud! Helmet, there are a ton of youth models out there from the dealer and on the internet, I would highly recommend going to a dealer and have them fit your kids correctly, then go and find the helmet on line and order it.

Old 08-18-2012 | 09:24 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by CSSmith
...I would highly recommend going to a dealer and have them fit your kids correctly, then go and find the helmet on line and order it.
Smooth.

Old 08-18-2012 | 09:43 PM
CSSmith
Novice

Smooth.

Really...

Quick Reply: Riding with your kid(s)