Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trickle charger - wtf?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 11:00 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default trickle charger - wtf?!?

So I have one of those HD battery tender things....which I never really used until my battery won't start the bike Stupid...I know. So I took a friend's suggestion....I had the wire/connector permanently attached so that I could just always plug it in after every ride.
This was after my (second battery...I think) was pretty much dead. So last fall, I got a new battery...it's not an HD battery...they only had Yusa batteries at the dealer...and I keep it connected to the charger all the time. Up until a week or so ago, after a ride, the charger would blink green for a little while, and then go back to solid green (indicating full charge). However, after the last time I was out riding, I plugged it back in and since then, it just continues to blink green (according to the manual, it's at least 80 or 85 percent charged)...it won't go back to solid green. So I'm wondering if you guys think it's the battery tender that's got a problem, or could I have a battery that's already dead/dying after less than a year? If it is the battery, I have to say...I think I've been ripped off. I mean, older batteries have lasted at least a few years. This one...8 months..and continually kept on a charger, even during winter while not riding much.

What do you think? I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks!

Todd

Old 08-14-2012, 11:15 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,632 Likes on 2,530 Posts

I had a global charger that did that...tried another one & it's OK.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The Deltran battery tender isn't really a charger it's a battery maintainer, it's intended for AGM type batteries, is the Yuasa battery you installed an AGM or lead acid battery? One of my battery tenders sometimes won't switch from flashing to solid a green LED, if I unplug the maintainer and plug it back in it stops flashing and goes solid green.

Tech23

Old 08-15-2012, 07:04 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the cheap wally world battery maintainer and it will do the same thing at times. I just unplug it from the tender and plug it back in. I suspect it has something to do with the ability or inability of the tender to read the battery state correctly.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,747 Likes on 1,113 Posts

I have 2 Deltran charger/maintainers. Never a problem I switch them around on my different bikes in the winter and my batteries last a long time. Acid batteries use alot of water in hot weather [ quite hot this year] keep them topped off often.
The slow low drain from keeping memory in computers/clocks slowly drains your battery.
I ride all mine often so I don't need the tenders much in summer except when away for a couple weeks -then I put the newer [computer ] bikes on while away.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:07 AM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

From my experience, I don't completely trust the solid green light. I've had a battery which was bad, show solid green on the tender.

That said, I still plug both bikes into a tender after rides, as I figure it can't hurt.

In your case it might be the battery as some just die early, or it's possible the tender took a dump. Go for a ride and give it another try, maybe it will show green. Regardless, don't trust it 100%.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:11 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,915 Likes on 6,641 Posts

Sometimes it makes a difference if it gets plugged into the wall or the bike first. It's like the little computer chip in there gets confused. Try unplugging it ALL for a few minutes and try again.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:18 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I only use the the battery tender if I will be off the bike for more than a week, and I try to never let that happen until the snow flys. I have had the blinking green light issue and always thought it was a connection issue. Just like everyone else. Ulplug everything, wait and try again. It always seems to work.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:51 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

I've had a battery tender from WalMart, for 3 or 4 years now, and haven't seen the blinking green yet. I keep mine plugged into the wall at all times, and plug it into the pigtail after every ride. I'd try a new battery tender for $35 before I'd get a battery, to see if THAT works.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Thumper Buttercup
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you need to think about is get that replacement battery a week or so early if you can, put it on a trickle charger for that week then put it into service.

I've got our 04 original battery in a ATV mower still going strong with no problem, that was after it was in the bike for six years with no starting or charging problems.

The day our bike came into the dealer we had them put pull the battery and put it on a charger while they did engine upgrades and other goodies.

Quick Reply: trickle charger - wtf?!?