General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warranty Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:03 AM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warranty Issue

So I was told by my local HD shop that a HD wants to send an inspector out to inspect my front tire that has a nail in it only because I had the rear replaced under warranty 3 months ago. Seriously? it's a different tire and different issue. Anyway, they told me that it could be a week or more and the tire had to remain on the bike at their shop or I could pay for the tire. Long story short I paid for the tire because i did not want to be out a bike for a week, is there any way to recoupe this cost? is this a standard for HD to challenge eveything? any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 AM
isellem
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They should be able to work with you on that ticket to try and get it through. H-D is not the company behind the tire/wheel warranty. It is actually managed my CNA and because of a lot of guys abusing the tire/wheel protection in the past, they have started auditing some claims. A week out is, quite frankly, embarassing and I would expect a dealer to work harder to help their customers than that. We would.

Old 08-13-2012, 12:30 PM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain

Originally Posted by isellem
They should be able to work with you on that ticket to try and get it through. H-D is not the company behind the tire/wheel warranty. It is actually managed my CNA and because of a lot of guys abusing the tire/wheel protection in the past, they have started auditing some claims. A week out is, quite frankly, embarassing and I would expect a dealer to work harder to help their customers than that. We would.

Thanks for the feed back, is there any route i can take after the fact to recoupe my cost or is it a done deal now?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 PM
cmancini26
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done deal almost had the same problem 2 days before my trip fortunately it was my first warranty and they decided not to send an inspector. Sadly I am in the tire business and never ever told a customer I would have to inspect the nail hole prior to replacing it.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:40 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both of my tires were replaced at the dealer. One started going flat 10 miles from the Conyers Ga dealer and I limped in. The other they sent a wrecker 90 miles to me and brought it back to the dealer in Tallahassee Fl.. All at no cost. Just a question? why didn't you tell them to come and pick up the bike?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:46 PM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain

Originally Posted by honestbob
Both of my tires were replaced at the dealer. One started going flat 10 miles from the Conyers Ga dealer and I limped in. The other they sent a wrecker 90 miles to me and brought it back to the dealer in Tallahassee Fl.. All at no cost. Just a question? why didn't you tell them to come and pick up the bike?

The tire was not flat I just noticed a nail in it the day of, and I was already bringing it in for 15k service, so I thought I would kill two birds with one stone.
I also am already on my 3rd rear tire from HD warranty so I imagine they are tired of paying for my tires but seriously, I have not been abusing the system I just have bad luck.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hell the dealer don't care, They make money on the deal. It's an insurance company that pays. Tell them to change it when it's serviced.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:40 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Start buying your tires online. A whole lot cheaper, even if you take it in and have them mount and balance it. Got my two Michelin Commander IIs online for $289.xx shipped. $85 each to have mounted and balanced at the dealer. About $75 each everywhere else. I would gladly pay the extra $20 to have the dealer mount and balance vs. some of the other places around here.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM
DDuess
Road Captain

I had a rough time finding anyone to install tires I bought on line, even the indys were reluctant, found one that did it for the same price as if I dropped the bike off as opposed to dropping off the rim, which is what I did. Even charged me for tire disposal fee, and said this time only. No next time. I had already removed the tire, just couldn't get the last bead over the rim. Still saved a little but not much.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Since when are nail holes covered under warranty?

Quick Reply: Warranty Issue