General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sturgis Rally Deaths Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 08:36 AM
TheSinistral
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glock221
Currently here in Sturgis. I was getting on the elevator today in my Hotel, and some guys face was all skinned up. He told me he went down driving through Needles Point. He was heading home today, said he had enough. I told him he was lucky he was still up and walking around.

Saw a guy fall over on his vulcan in the parking lot.

A lot of weekend bikers here. (Me included)
No shame in being a weekend biker as long as a person accepts his limits. I did Needles highway and it is fairly technical, requiring good form, gearing, braking, etc. I followed a female there who had trouble with some sweepers on the way there. She was WAY over her head and crossed over several times. I was pissed that her Husband let her do it.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:37 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not afraid of the night or riding at night. Whatever it was it was almost headlight high and moving fast. First thought through mind was it is not a deer. Built wrong, moving wrong. I actually thought big, big hog or maybe bear. We shouldn't have bears unless tpwd has reintroduced them without telling anyone.
Originally Posted by straydog13
So what do you think it was that you seen? hog? or ?? Awhile back my nephew saw what he believed to have been a mountain lion run across the road at night. I think he was correct. If you have deer you probably have mountain lions.

Night time deserted road makes me a little worried about deer and pigs. I am going to add some extra lighting off to the side so i can see the roadsides better. I want to light up the ditches when i roll by.Deer are strange creatures and they do not do what make sense.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:03 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I've heard, if you hit a pig and wreck, and it can stand up and walk afterward, it will come back and eat you. Part of you, anyway. My great fear about Sturgis is being in a wreck...coming to in a ditch and finding that a pig is eating me alive...

Alan

Last edited by AlanStansbery; 08-12-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:56 PM
hdtwice
Road Master

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery
I've heard, if you hit a pig and wreck, and it can stand up and walk afterward, it will come back and eat you. Part of you, anyway. My great fear about Sturgis is being in a wreck...coming to in a ditch and finding that a pig is eating me alive...

Alan
Well thank you Alan, that is a wonderful image/idea to have floating around inside my head the next time I'm riding in pig country :-)

Old 08-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanStansbery

Alan
Sturgis is like Disneyland,one trip is enough. Seeing puke covered bikes and people with zero saddle time is not exactly thrilling.Or healthy. Pigs eat anything,I shot hundreds of them on a hunting lease I had.Just killed them and left them.You could go back the next day and not find a trace of the carcass.You go down in a herd,and bleed,they'll tear your *** up. Have fun out there.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:20 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Just got back from the rally last nite, think it will be my last. Been going since the late 80's and this year was the worst since the 70th. The negatives now far outweigh the positives anymore, next year I'm going to skip it as are many of the guys I meet from around the country at the rally every year. Saw two of the fatalities firsthand last week, the Belle Fourche wreck on Wednesday coming back from hulett and the 85yr old guy on 385 on Tuesday. Almost got caught up in another pile-up on 385 at the Nemo Rd intersection which happened right in front of me involving a lady on a sportster not paying attention. I've had a good time at the rally thru the years and it's time to move on before my number comes up while riding there.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:33 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I enjoyed 8 days of riding and never saw a problem. Needles Highway twice, Iron Mountain Road, Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Crazy Horse, Hill City, Keystone, Custer, Deadwood, Rapid City and downtown Sturgis.

I am a dedicated defensive rider. Proper following distance, vigilant look out, alert and focused (no alcohol). I started riding in 1956 and have not had a close call in 56 years of riding. Always yield right off way if needed. I ride for the other guy and avoid him. He doesn't need to do much at all.

The seven deaths so far is only a 2 to 4 day count for murders in Chicago. I still will go to Chicago 3-4 times a year. I live to live not hide in fear.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Quadancer
Elite HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm happy to skip it all. The way I see it, why get stuck behind clueless, skilless, wannabeez to watch others get totally stoopid with booze and borrowed attitudes, adrift in a sea of commercial indulgence, only to have to slog my way back out of there behind the same dorks that slowed me up coming that I REALLY don't like anyway.
If I do Needles or whatnot up there, it will be in off-season with some buds who know how to jam, when to back off, and aren't trying to be something they're not.
Friggin' costume party if ya ask me.
And no, I haven't gone. Seen enough of it on the web to convince me. I'll stick to campin' and jammin'. Others may differ.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

I went last year for the first time. Never turned a key after the sun fell off the horizon. Located a van company that would pick us up in Rapid City and deposit us either at Full Throttle or Main St. We tried to limit our exposure to the possibility of something messing with our happiness.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:34 AM
smoran24
1st Gear

We trailered out and rode during the day away from the majority of the bikes and had the time of our lives!! We met two guys at the spoke that helped us avoid the congetstion in dowtown Sturgis and saved us time and hassle. If youhaven't gone I suggest you do it. It was on my bucket list. I will go back off Rally week and stay in Deadwood. What a great little town.

Quick Reply: Sturgis Rally Deaths Mounting