General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fear of Rain?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:33 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, I guess I am gonna hafta add 'sensitive sally's' to my prima donna's statement.

hehe

Old 08-09-2012, 09:28 PM
stuart1270
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I used to be afraid to ride in the rain. I'm no evil Knievel but I do hold my own. One day after watching some sport bike racing and watching those guys leaning their bikes in the rain I gained a little more confidence riding in the rain. As for the bike getting dirty as they say **** happens.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:04 AM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoff
Last weekend a group ride I planned to attend was cancelled because of a 30% chance of rain. A few of us optimists, who said the heck with it, went forward with the ride. And as it turned out we had a nice sunny day with no rain.

I won't leave home in rain, but I certainly won't cancel a ride because of a slight chance. This got me thinking. Why do some fear rain? Is it because your bike might get dirty, you have no rain gear, or are you concerned about safety in wet conditions?
Unfortunately. that's just the way many of today's riders are. That's why you see 5 year old Harleys with 2,000 miles on them...it's the norm rather than the exception. I'm nowhere near being an iron butt rider, but rain does not make me stay home or wring my hands over cleaning the bike...the rain just cleaned it!

Old 08-10-2012, 12:22 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

"the rain just cleaned it!"

Bullsh*t ... lower two-thirds of the bike is covered in road grime ... you call that clean ...?

I don't spend all day cleaning my bike after riding in the rain ... in the Puget Sound part of the PacNorWest, you can go quite a few consecutive days riding in the rain ... I'll try to clean it up some if there's a break in the weather ... else, it can go a couple weeks or so before getting a cleaning ...

Didn't mean to come down on you Warrconn ... I see that comment a lot ... as you can see, I disagree ...

Old 08-10-2012, 04:45 AM
hickory67
Account Retired
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

90% chance of rain today according g to Weatherbug. Off I go.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:29 AM
USMAMule
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I admit it. Although I have the firm belief that if you ride you're going to get wet eventually, I won't start off in the rain, or with a forecast for 50% chance or more and a radar picture showing rain moving in while I'm going to be riding. For me it is lingering fear from a minor accident I had in light rain sliding into the back of an SUV. It was my fault but it has taken a while to get my confidence back. I had gotten so cautious I felt like my riding was more dangerous than the rain itself. If the chances where lets than 50% and it wasn't raining when I left I would just white knuckle it if the rain started.

A few weeks back I hooked up with a random guy going the same way I was for a while during some pop up showers and it really helped because I could pace myself off him and it gave me something else to focus on other than every squirm of my tires. So yeah it's better but I admit it - my pucker factor was high enough to stop me...but not forever. Anyway - can't be too bad since I've managed to put 20K plus on my bike in two and a half years - and that includes losing 6 weeks out of the country last summer.

Oh...and cleaning the bike isn't any kind of problem to me.

Mule

Last edited by USMAMule; 08-10-2012 at 05:58 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:59 AM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kzoo
Kinda hard to get any good action with lops i would guess.
You my dear are a bad boy, and plus I ride a sporty. 'nuff said.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:54 AM
mjrfd99
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,773 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Rain "OH BOO WOO WOO"
Dirty bike "OH BOO WOO WOO"

ROFLMAO!!

Attached Thumbnails Fear of Rain?-miss-lopez.jpg  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,069 Likes on 701 Posts

I ride when I can. I don't have rain gear. Nuff said.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:07 AM
kzoo
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to leave this morning in the rain for my commute to work. Got out on the back road and it was one HUGE puddle after another. Turned around and took the cage. You never know how deep those puddles are. Hydroplaning is no fun either..

Quick Reply: Fear of Rain?