General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Brotherhood / The Wave

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:59 PM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Harley Brotherhood / The Wave

Good day, Riders. Several weeks back another rider posted a very interesting thread related to what his belief was when speaking about a "brotherhood". He provided a very graphic example of what he believed defines a "brotherhood"; an example most of us have only read about. However, his post on the touring forum got me thinking during my last road trip.
I believe he is right. We have a friendship among riders but a brotherhood; I think not. This belief leads me into my suggestion regarding the "Harley Wave".
Since we know that harley's are nothing more than a machine and prone to failure let me suggest that the only people that should wave while out on a ride are the people who are willing to stop and provide whatever assistance they can to another "friend". Now the wave has an actual meaning. If you wave because of your willingness to stop and assist a motorcyclist in need and you don't get a wave back - then you know the other rider isn't willing to stop.
During my last ride I stopped to query motorcyclist three different times. Thankfully, each time the rider had decided to "pull over" for other reasons than mechanical failure.

There you have it......

Ride In Peace

Old 08-08-2012, 01:07 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh okay.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Classicfc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll wave, or not wave, at whoever I want, whenever I want.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:15 PM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't wave, mainly because the whole thing was started in the 60's by chicks on the back of Honda Dreams waving at each other. It was silly then & has developed into some kind of ridiculous obsession. However, I will stop whenever I see a rider pulled over beside the road & it has nothing to do with whether he or I have ever waved at each other or anyone else..

Old 08-08-2012, 01:19 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

You said it brother.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 359 Likes on 276 Posts

Great... more rules to remember! I just like to ride.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:17 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Cool story, Bro!

Old 08-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

What a bunch of BS. I don't wave, but I'll stop if somebody needs help on the side of the road. What's wrong with you? I wave at kids on the side of the road, or pedestrians who wave --- just not every flippin' bike on the road who thinks that we have some kind of bond, or something. Some of you people need to get over yourselves, and enjoy the rest of your ride, and quit taking this waving so seriously. Just because somebody doesn't wave at every single bike that passes you, doesn't mean they wouldn't help you out if you needed it. Your bike has 2 wheels, just like mine. Your car has 4 wheels, just like mine. Does it **** you off when somebody doesn't wave to you in your car? "Oh boo hoo hoo, that guy didn't wave back. The rest of my day has been ruined." Jesus, get over it.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,119 Likes on 2,801 Posts

I was on the last leg on an 1,850 mile round trip on Monday and I was in the left lane on the highway running about 80-85 when I passed a biker on the shoulder. By the time I could get slowed down I had to wait until the next exit to get turned around. I rode North for about an exit or two, turned around and road the righthand lane South again. No biker there now. I was glad he was moving again, but slightly irritated that he didn't get off at an exit if he needed to have a smoke, or something.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:36 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will wave at anybody, Not that it is a "brotherhood thing", I live in the woods and when I see someone I wave. I guess you could call it a" rural thing" When riding in an urban setting (which I try to not do much of, if possible) I usually don't wave as someone might think it's a turn signal. I will however scratch my nuts in any setting.

Quick Reply: Harley Brotherhood / The Wave