General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna for a new guy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012 | 09:07 AM
MyName1sMud
|
Cruiser
Default Dyna for a new guy?

I'm sure yall get asked a version of this all the time.

Do yall think a Dyna for a new guy is too much bike?

I grew up on a dirt bike but haven't ridden in many years.

Also. I've been told I need to hunt down a carburetor version. Any truth to this?

Old 08-06-2012 | 09:10 AM
tripn88
Road Warrior

I feel any harley is a good bike if you have confidence. The carbed bikes will be easier for a diy person with tuning, but nothing wrong with efi bikes.

Old 08-06-2012 | 09:38 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

Dynas are great bikes. Get one if you like to ride......

Old 08-06-2012 | 09:43 AM
MyName1sMud
|
Cruiser

^ Thanks for the replies!

Old 08-06-2012 | 09:44 AM
DMas
Road Master

Depends on what kind of riding you're doing- Dynas around town are great- very nimble, not so great on long distances. When I got back into riding, my first bike was a Dyna low-rider- loved it, though on long rides even with a Corbin seat it was brutal on my backside.

Old 08-06-2012 | 09:59 AM
MyName1sMud
|
Cruiser

Yeah mine will be more of around the town riding.

to and from work
joy ride
very rare road trips

Old 08-06-2012 | 10:08 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

Don't see anything wrong with a Dyna for your first street bike.

Old 08-06-2012 | 10:10 AM
rockerZ71
Advanced

I rode a motorcycle for the first time about 6 weeks ago and bought a dyna a few days later. No regrets.

Old 08-06-2012 | 10:14 AM
MiniWolf

I am new as well. Started on a Yamaha 250 after MSF class in March and getting license. Bought a Super Glide a week ago. People knock the small bikes but they are a great tool to gain confidence and experience.

After having ridden both I can say the smaller bike was definitely and without question better for me to gain some some real-world experience on a very forigiving ride right after getting the license. Given that I had never even been on a public road, would the super glide have been just as as easy and proper? For me, the answer is most definitely no. For others it might be different. I started small and got the super glide when I started realizing the limitations of the smaller bike. Others just go all the way with a larger first bike and nothing wrong with that. It all is personal what comofrtable with and level of confidence and experience. Given you have dirtbike experience, it is probably different. I had never even sat on a motorcycle. It would have been dropped-multiple times along the way of gaining actual road experience if I had just got the SG from the get-go after taking the MSF class and getting the license.

Old 08-06-2012 | 10:15 AM
blackbear
Tourer

dyna's are great first street bikes.carb'd bikes are cheaper to maintain as they don't need a expensive tuner and dyno time to adjust the air/fuel mix when doing engine performace upgrades .All you need is a screwdriver , some $3 jets and a little know how.also carb'd bikes sound better.

Quick Reply: Dyna for a new guy?