General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna for a new guy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:14 PM
rockerZ71
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stickman81
I took a Basic MSF course on their bike and then the Experienced Riders Course on my Wide Glide.
What did you think of the ERC, worth it?

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:25 PM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TattoodCaptain
Over 80k miles on mine and ride it everywhere. Dyna's are not just for around town, go for it.
What he said. I've rode mine on several long rides as well. Go for it, you won't regret it I promise.

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:30 PM
MiniWolf

Well, as far as sound and drivers not hearing you, I am more concerned with drivers seeing me. In fact, when I am driving my truck and the windows are rolled up, I don't hear even the loudest of bikes until they are right next to me--especially on the highway. If the windows are rolled down it is different. I am a bit reluctatnt to go with louder pipes as I live in a very small village and the cops will pull you over for the smallest thing. I would be getting tickets for loud exhausts. Also, the MSF instructor drove a harley with loud pipes but told us never to rely on them to save you. Most elderly drivers who have vision problems also have hearing problems. Most wild and aggressive young drivers have the stereo blaring anyways. And the fact is that they do give licenses to the deaf but no to the blind. That's not to mention that low frequency sounds do not readily lend themselves to location. It is hard to tell where the sound is coming from--your right, the left, or behind? When a driver hears it, their first reaction is not to look out for something but to try to figure out where the sound is coming from and this itself is a distraction--just like an ambulence siren. It gets your attention but by the time you find the source, it is probably too late as you already merged into another lane or turned left at the intersection. Strange or loud sounds can distract drivers from the task at hand more than they get their attention. Anyone who has driven near a car with thumping bass knows what I mean. You are instantly distracted from the road ahead and most other things aorund you. We were told that visual presence will always be the most important factor when around other drivers. Relying on anything else is rolling the dice.

Last edited by MiniWolf; 08-06-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2012 | 02:45 PM
Stickman81
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rockerZ71
What did you think of the ERC, worth it?
I enjoyed it. It gave me a chance to run my bike through the same course as the Basic class. I was even able to negotiate the turning box with my wide glide. It was almost a full day on the course. I think it was worth it. I would like to take one again with the Street Glide. I have also been looking at the "Ride Like a Pro" class out side of Atlanta.

Old 08-06-2012 | 02:48 PM
rockerZ71
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stickman81
I enjoyed it. It gave me a chance to run my bike through the same course as the Basic class. I was even able to negotiate the turning box with my wide glide. It was almost a full day on the course. I think it was worth it. I would like to take one again with the Street Glide. I have also been looking at the "Ride Like a Pro" class out side of Atlanta.
If its the same course I will probably skip it, although it would be interesting to see how I do in that little box on my wide glide. Probably would fail that component of the test right now, but I'm not sure as I haven't really attempted anything like that

Last edited by rockerZ71; 08-06-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2012 | 09:53 PM
wilsoda
Cruiser

My only experience was also on dirt bikes. Last fall the stars aligned and decided to get a bike. For me, the MSF class was definitely worthwhile. I learned some things and got a few hours on a bike I wasn't stressed about dumping. Debated for awhile about getting a small/cheap bike to start, but then test rode a FXDF at a dealer and was surprised at how natural it felt. Bought it over the winter and have just turned 5k miles.

Do you have roads without much traffic nearby? I'm glad I was able to not deal with heavy traffic at first.

Old 08-06-2012 | 10:32 PM
danrad55
Cruiser

After being away from riding for a few years I purchased a 2006 Sportster 1200 Low. Harley had a program that let me ride it and trade it in for full price for a Big Twin. Purchased a 2007 FXDC and can't be happier. I don't agree that it is just for around town. Have had it on many, many long trips, Sturgis last year. Could have gone the full 910 miles easily in one day! Do yourself a favor and look at 2007 and newer. Bigger engine, 6 speed transmission, improved chain tensioners, to name a few improvements. Read here about issues with 2006's. Not a big fan of the "B" engines. Look at a better seat, wind protection and add some luggage (many choices) and it's all good.

Old 08-06-2012 | 11:32 PM
hickory67
Account Retired

Dynas are great all-round bikes IMO. Mine's my daily commuter and I've done several work-related trips - used to ride to Miami every year from MD. Biggest issue was storage - heavy use of bungey cords.

Old 08-07-2012 | 09:20 AM
MyName1sMud
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wilsoda
My only experience was also on dirt bikes. Last fall the stars aligned and decided to get a bike. For me, the MSF class was definitely worthwhile. I learned some things and got a few hours on a bike I wasn't stressed about dumping. Debated for awhile about getting a small/cheap bike to start, but then test rode a FXDF at a dealer and was surprised at how natural it felt. Bought it over the winter and have just turned 5k miles.

Do you have roads without much traffic nearby? I'm glad I was able to not deal with heavy traffic at first.
I do.... but i have to ride roads with heavy traffic to get to them.

Old 08-07-2012 | 12:46 PM
6 gun
Seasoned HDF Member

How far do you have to go to work? 30 miles or better I would concider a RKC
and it is not too big for you, but a dyna is hard to beat for one up fun.

Quick Reply: Dyna for a new guy?